Sponsored

Ford Recall 2015-2017 mustangs for Backup Camera Issues

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I can't go through typing this all out again, but I'm beyond furious. I opened a case with Ford against the dealer. Not only do I not have the recall fixed, but I was lied to, led on a wild good chase for almost two hours, and now my right turn signal is hyperblinking.

I hate people inserting Youtube videos instead of typing out posts, but I just can't type this whole thing out again. Apologies up front, and I promise that I'm not some "creator" trying to get clicks, I'm just a pissed off longtime Ford customer.

JR
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I can't go through typing this all out again, but I'm beyond furious. I opened a case with Ford against the dealer. Not only do I not have the recall fixed, but I was lied to, led on a wild good chase for almost two hours, and now my right turn signal is hyperblinking.

I hate people inserting Youtube videos instead of typing out posts, but I just can't type this whole thing out again. Apologies up front, and I promise that I'm not some "creator" trying to get clicks, I'm just a pissed off longtime Ford customer.

JR
Hate that you are having this experience. I had my backup camera replaced years ago and paid for it myself but still received the recall notice for my 2016 convertible as my VIN was one of those that were recalled. I know I got a recall notice back in March 2022 saying that parts were going to be available during the summer but I know I did receive another notice probably in September 2022 saying that there was still a delay in parts for it. I didn't keep the notices as they aren't relevant to me as mine was already corrected, but I have to wonder if your dealer just doesn't have the parts (and competence) to do your recall.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hate that you are having this experience. I had my backup camera replaced years ago and paid for it myself but still received the recall notice for my 2016 convertible as my VIN was one of those that were recalled. I know I got a recall notice back in March 2022 saying that parts were going to be available during the summer but I know I did receive another notice probably in September 2022 saying that there was still a delay in parts for it. I didn't keep the notices as they aren't relevant to me as mine was already corrected, but I have to wonder if your dealer just doesn't have the parts (and competence) to do your recall.
Well, I received the first one that said Q2 2022. So I held off. Then I received another one back in September that said Q4 2022. The dealership should know if they can or cannot obtain parts before accepting a recall repair appointment, right?

Now, Ford chat is saying Q2 2023 for parts.

At this point, I'm really, really pissed that they lied to me about a safety recall. I've already looked into opening an NHTSA complaint against the dealership.

JR

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Not telling you what to do but...is it really worth going through all this with respect to your mental health and sanity? I know it sucks, but nobody on the other side is losing any sleep over it. Pardon me if this does not help at all, sorry for poking in here.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not telling you what to do but...is it really worth going through all this with respect to your mental health and sanity? I know it sucks, but nobody on the other side is losing any sleep over it. Pardon me if this does not help at all, sorry for poking in here.
Talking about how I was dealt with at the dealer? Yes. Dealers should not be able to get away with crap like this just because they've gamed the laws in their favor.

JR

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
This and other recalls might help explain why Ford made these changes:

Jim Baumbick to lead quality, integrated closely with his engineering responsibilities. Stuart Rowley, chief transformation and quality officer, retiring after accomplished 32-year career.

CVCashmere

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
This and other recalls might help explain why Ford made these changes:

Jim Baumbick to lead quality, integrated closely with his engineering responsibilities. Stuart Rowley, chief transformation and quality officer, retiring after accomplished 32-year career.

CVCashmere
That's management speak meant to encourage positive feeling about a retirement, means absolutely nothing. In fact, if you look closely, some poor schmuck now has to do the quality officer job along with his own so one can reasonably expect it to be less effective now.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Unfortunately there are some dealers of any brand that are incompetent, unscrupulous, or both. Ford might have more than its share.

I had a somewhat similar experience but nowhere near as bad. Called my local Ford dealer back in May, as soon as I got the first recall notice. They made an appointment for July, the first available, said they were ‘backed up’ with doing backup camera recalls.

I called before the appointment to make sure they had the parts, which they said they did. The next day I waited 5 hours with the car- at the end of which they said they ‘confirmed my car needed the camera’, but they didn’t have the parts.

I was pissed. I asked what the hell they needed to ‘confirm’ and why they brought me in and had me wait so long if they didn’t actually have the parts. They said they needed to ‘check my VIN.’ WTF?! They couldn’t ‘confirm’ the VIN from the records?

Like others, I also recently got a letter from Ford saying the parts won’t be available until 2Q 2023.

The fun continues.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, as it turns out, they didn't resolve the issue. They bandaided it and fixed the break in the connection, but didn't replace the harness. I'm dealing with the service manager now. Trying to keep my head cool, but the fix that I did three years ago is still plainly there. I've shown them the NHTSB recall notice that clearly says "The updated harness removes the rigid scroll tube and prevents harness damage. The replacement camera has been manufactured with improved header tooling and solder pads."

Their reaction is basically *shrug*.

JR
Bumping this.

I checked my Ford Owner account today, as well as the NHTSB site with my VIN, and I have zero open recalls. That means that the service advisor at Jones Ford marked my vehicle as "recall complete".

Waiting in the Ford chat queue right now.

JR

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
JR -

Screw the "chat que", those folks work by cue cards and scripts - if it's out of their "scripting", you'll never go forward and you get lumped in with all the other customers "chatting" and put into a basket.... when someone reaches in that basket, hope it's you they call back, if at all.

Your best bet is to call the Ford 800#, ask for a Supervisor - if they say they can get you a Regional Rep, decline and politely say you NEED to talk to a Supervisor because your concerns are NOT being addressed at the Dealer level or the "Regional Rep" level. They should at that point connect you to a Supervisor.

When connected to that Supervisor, keep your cool and professionally explain the current issue and your concern with the Recall (and/or prior repair attempt). Then after explaining it, ask the Supervisor what they are going to do to compensate you for your down time and the fact that you're paying on a vehicle that has a safety recall that isn't being addressed (or repaired) properly.

You *should* gain traction at that point, if you're remaining professional, to the point and voicing your concern by also saying "hey, put yourself in my position, how would you feel".... You should get a Case # and your issue will be elevated to a priority level.

Now if you already went the Regional Rep route and had a Case # prior to - then still request a Supervisor and tell that Supervisor that you did not get any traction with your assigned Rep nor was the repair satisfactory. Again this should get traction with the Supervisor.

----

Also for anyone who has repaired any NHTSA recall on your own - and have retained any receipts for parts and/or parts/labor if you had the repair done BEFORE a recall was issued by NHTSA and paid out of pocket, you can be completely reimbursed for that cost. So if any of you fall into that category, pursue getting reimbursed.

-----

As for the "fast" taillight blinker issue, it could be coincidental and possibly totally unrelated to the recall repair. There are many known instances on this very site of folks having issues with the rear tails and functionality. In some cases the issue can be resolved with a battery reset, in others, the issue was a faulty external BCM for the R or L tail and in worst case, the internal board to the tail was faulty which requires the whole tail assembly be replaced.

The S550 tails are LEDs w/circuit boards, no bulbs. There is also an internal board and external BCM.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tail-light-out-then-back-on.101551/page-2

If the info in that above thread isn’t helpful regarding resetting the BCM or replacing it, then a new taillight is the only other option.

Tails can be found on eBay or the classifieds on here for decent prices. Do not pay Ford retail prices that are upwards of $700+ for a single taillight assembly.

Sponsored

rumtillidie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe
I'm getting this recall done next week the dealership has 2 replacement harnesses in stock. Did anyone get this done and have one one of the aftermarket TOMTOP windows CE units or even the Android units? Does the reverse camera have any issues, I'm hoping I don't have to install a secondary 12Volt camera to fix it.

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
Just received the letter from Ford telling that harness is now in stock. As I do not trust anyone except me to work on my car especially near the piano black autoscratching rear decklid!! To process the job do the tech need to remove that part or he can process with only the trunk open?

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
They just finished mine. I have a vert. He had to take out the console while rewiring the rear trunk.

Things work fine. I had no problems before the fix.

Thanks

Carl

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Just received the letter from Ford telling that harness is now in stock. As I do not trust anyone except me to work on my car especially near the piano black autoscratching rear decklid!! To process the job do the tech need to remove that part or he can process with only the trunk open?
They do not need to remove that panel. Basically all they are doing is making the rear decklid harness longer by adding an inch or so near the rear speakers. The are cutting the entire harness and splicing in a new one, which is scary enough. I've already pulled the harness mount out so I don't get any chaffing. I'm going to ask if I can just take the harness in case I have trouble in the future. I don't want any splicing unless absolutely necessary. If it does need to be replaced, I'll do it myself too.
Harness.png

FRENZY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shayne
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Made an appointment to have mine fixed and soonest they could do it is April. Told me it would take at least 3 days to do since they have to "remove the interior". I questioned that immediately stating that the recall said half day to fix. I said fine, but you'll be giving me a loaner for that period. They looked at me confused as hell and I was like, "are you going to take me to work?!".
Sponsored