OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I did it myself, but didn't solder-splice.

I terminated the original at a deutsch connector and wired the new harness to match. If it ever happens again, I just have to build a new harness.
Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Seriously!! I'm the only one to post in the last 4 months. Am I in the wrong place?? Suddenly everyone is happy?

Well, I'm certainly happy for "TexasRebel" but Sir, do you realize the correct fix is to replace the harness with an updated harness. I've been waiting since May '22 for my harness.

I've stopped using my trunk because at some point the trunk will fail to open. This happened to me 3 years ago and the dealership performed a splice. Ford "THOUGHT" that would work. It did not.

Has anyone had a new harness installed since May'22 ???????????

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Because it isn't a new problem by any stretch of the imagination, it's been around for 7 years or so. The original dealership fix was a patch and wrap so if you're that concerned just go take care of it yourself.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Nope...nothing yet from the dealer.

CVCashmere

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Because it isn't a new problem by any stretch of the imagination, it's been around for 7 years or so. The original dealership fix was a patch and wrap so if you're that concerned just go take care of it yourself.
My dealership’s patch and wrap job had s held up perfectly for 6 years. A new harness would be a hugely invasive job that I wouldn’t be so excited to see a dealership attempt. How much of the car do they have to disassemble and then reassemble (without squeaks or other problems) to replace that much harness?

Often the slightest fix is the best fix.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
My dealership’s patch and wrap job had s held up perfectly for 6 years. A new harness would be a hugely invasive job that I wouldn’t be so excited to see a dealership attempt. How much of the car do they have to disassemble and then reassemble (without squeaks or other problems) to replace that much harness?

Often the slightest fix is the best fix.
Agreed, I can solder and wrap with the same integrity as a factory harness with little effort. I'd prefer that as a fix as well.

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Seriously!! I'm the only one to post in the last 4 months. Am I in the wrong place?? Suddenly everyone is happy?

Well, I'm certainly happy for "TexasRebel" but Sir, do you realize the correct fix is to replace the harness with an updated harness. I've been waiting since May '22 for my harness.

I've stopped using my trunk because at some point the trunk will fail to open. This happened to me 3 years ago and the dealership performed a splice. Ford "THOUGHT" that would work. It did not.

Has anyone had a new harness installed since May'22 ???????????
The TSB-official fix is to splice in the -X harness. To replace the whole original harness you're going to have to take your car completely apart.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who's had their Camera replaced by Ford under NHTSA #22VO82 ?

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who's had their Camera replaced by Ford under NHTSA #22VO82 ?
Just received 2nd recall notice from Ford. In March '22 they said parts (presumably Camera) would be available 2nd Quarter '22. My October '22 letter now says Parts (presumably Camera) will be available 2nd Quarter of '23. Yeah. Right. We'll see.

Had Ford do splice job 2 years ago and it is NOT good. I'd do the damn thing myself (and do a better job) but I'm 78......too old to be farting around in the trunk.

I will take it back to Ford and at least have them do the splice again until the camera comes in. As you all know, with damaged wiring, you run the risk of the trunk failing to open. This happened to me 2 years ago. Guess I'll just have to supervise the next splice job. :like:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Just received 2nd recall notice from Ford. In March '22 they said parts (presumably Camera) would be available 2nd Quarter '22. My October '22 letter now says Parts (presumably Camera) will be available 2nd Quarter of '23. Yeah. Right. We'll see.

Had Ford do splice job 2 years ago and it is NOT good. I'd do the damn thing myself (and do a better job) but I'm 78......too old to be farting around in the trunk.

I will take it back to Ford and at least have them do the splice again until the camera comes in. As you all know, with damaged wiring, you run the risk of the trunk failing to open. This happened to me 2 years ago. Guess I'll just have to supervise the next splice job. :like:
I dropped my car at my local dealer on Monday (Jones Ford, North Charleston, SC) and they assured me that they had the parts and that it would be a 1-2 day fix. I called yesterday morning, since I hadn't heard from them, and they said that they had the car in the shop, but that the parts were on backorder, and had no idea when they'd get the harness.

So, I told them to stop all work, and I'll have it done at another dealer when parts become available. I'm so angry at them right now. I don't understand why you'd take a vehicle without checking to see if you can get parts (I made the appointment two weeks in advance), then why you'd let it sit for two days and not make a phone call to the owner. I'm headed there today to pick it up, because it's going to get cold tonight, and the last thing I need is for my PS4S to start cracking due to the almost freezing temps.

JR

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I dropped my car at my local dealer on Monday (Jones Ford, North Charleston, SC) and they assured me that they had the parts and that it would be a 1-2 day fix. I called yesterday morning, since I hadn't heard from them, and they said that they had the car in the shop, but that the parts were on backorder, and had no idea when they'd get the harness.

So, I told them to stop all work, and I'll have it done at another dealer when parts become available. I'm so angry at them right now. I don't understand why you'd take a vehicle without checking to see if you can get parts (I made the appointment two weeks in advance), then why you'd let it sit for two days and not make a phone call to the owner. I'm headed there today to pick it up, because it's going to get cold tonight, and the last thing I need is for my PS4S to start cracking due to the almost freezing temps.

JR
This totally sucks as it was preventable. I never drop off a car that needs parts until I have them actually show me the parts. Good luck getting your car home safely. I'm sure your tires will be fine.

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I'm waiting for Ford to let me know when parts are available. I have gotten two letters in the mail, but nothing saying parts are ready. I'm assuming supply chain or something is holding it up.
I'm also not having any issues, so I'm okay with waiting. My camera has not had issues, and the wiring harness does not pull when I open the trunk. Sounds like others are in rougher shape than I am.
I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This totally sucks as it was preventable. I never drop off a car that needs parts until I have them actually show me the parts. Good luck getting your car home safely. I'm sure your tires will be fine.
Well, I got a call about an hour ago (unlisted number, sent to VM) that the recall has been complete and the car is ready.

WTF?

Yesterday the parts were on backorder, and today they're available and the recall is complete??? I'm waiting for them to tell me that the valve cover gasket that they fixed three times is leaking and is a "hazard".

JR

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well, I got a call about an hour ago (unlisted number, sent to VM) that the recall has been complete and the car is ready.

WTF?

Yesterday the parts were on backorder, and today they're available and the recall is complete??? I'm waiting for them to tell me that the valve cover gasket that they fixed three times is leaking and is a "hazard".

JR
So they actually had your part all along. The parts guy couldn’t find it and told the tech it was on backorder. That’s what they told you. You complained, they looked again and found it. What a pain in the ass. At least it’s all done now…..we hope!

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So they actually had your part all along. The parts guy couldn’t find it and told the tech it was on backorder. That’s what they told you. You complained, they looked again and found it. What a pain in the ass. At least it’s all done now…..we hope!
Well, as it turns out, they didn't resolve the issue. They bandaided it and fixed the break in the connection, but didn't replace the harness. I'm dealing with the service manager now. Trying to keep my head cool, but the fix that I did three years ago is still plainly there. I've shown them the NHTSB recall notice that clearly says "The updated harness removes the rigid scroll tube and prevents harness damage. The replacement camera has been manufactured with improved header tooling and solder pads."

Their reaction is basically *shrug*.

JR
Sponsored