Sponsored

Ford Recall 2015-2017 mustangs for Backup Camera Issues

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
OK, This has been an on going problem. If you have a camera on the "fritz", and you wait too long to have it repaired you run the risk of the trunk not opening (same cable).

Now listen carefully. If you have the coupe and the trunk fails to open, there is a trunk release
right under the rear parcel shelf ( not talking about the child safety release on the trunk lid).

Does anyone have a pic, or a video of THAT trunk release. It saves you from crawling into the trunk and using the child release.

SOMEONE here must have info, pic or link.

Thanks, Ez
Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Has anyone seen the second letter from Ford, saying that parts are now available and to schedule an appointment for the problem?

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
Not me, and I got my initial letter weeks ago. I was at the dealer for a coolant flush and replacement and the service advisor asked me when I would be bringing in my car for the camera recall as well as another recall regarding rubber brake pad stoppers which could affect brake light illumination. So, I guess you can just make an appointment to have the camera recall done even though you haven't received the second letter? Not sure...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Not me, and I got my initial letter weeks ago. I was at the dealer for a coolant flush and replacement and the service advisor asked me when I would be bringing in my car for the camera recall as well as another recall regarding rubber brake pad stoppers which could affect brake light illumination. So, I guess you can just make an appointment to have the camera recall done even though you haven't received the second letter? Not sure...
Yes - as long as an Owner has received the recall letter, they can make an appointment anytime. The Service Center should be able to tell the Owner if the parts are in fact available, or not. If available they will schedule the appt., if not they'll tell you to call back at a later date.

If an original owner (or any subsequent owner after) falls into the model year brackets in the NHTSA notice and has NOT received a letter from Ford via US Postal mail or email - they should still contact their local service center and give their VIN/info and get an appt scheduled.

Any NHTSA Recall is a mandatory repair that the vehicle Manufacturer must do and that repair is FREE. A consumer should never be charged for parts or labor for a NHTSA RECALL. If that happens, you call NHTSA and file complaint.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yes - as long as an Owner has received the recall letter, they can make an appointment anytime. The Service Center should be able to tell the Owner if the parts are in fact available, or not. If available they will schedule the appt., if not they'll tell you to call back at a later date.
Thanks! The first letter from Ford implied to wait until getting a second letter informing that parts were now available.

I called my local Ford dealer today and they scheduled an appointment - for two months from now. Apparently they're getting deluged with recall work, and that was the soonest they could get to it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TexasRebel

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2

If an original owner (or any subsequent owner after) falls into the model year brackets in the NHTSA notice and has NOT received a letter from Ford via US Postal mail or email - they should still contact their local service center and give their VIN/info and get an appt scheduled.

Any NHTSA Recall is a mandatory repair that the vehicle Manufacturer must do and that repair is FREE. A consumer should never be charged for parts or labor for a NHTSA RECALL. If that happens, you call NHTSA and file complaint.
What do we do if we already improved it ourselves?

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
Having just purchased my '15 in April that's what I did since they wouldn't have had any way of knowing I had the car when the letters went out. Got my appointment set for June 21st.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What do we do if we already improved it ourselves?
If you paid for any parts or shop labor to do the repair before the actual NHTSA recall was issued - then I would contact Ford Corp. and ask for reimbursement.

If the fix was merely a splice-n-go and no out of pocket cost:
- if your fix is working and you're happy, ignore the recall.

- If you want the official repair done, go to your Dealer, explain that it was necessary that you had to perform the fix due to COVID and/or name X-issue and see if they will still do the recall. I would imagine they would still do the recall, but that is merely a guess.

Sponsored

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
I'm curious to see what the actual fix is.. Is it a cut and splice or replacing the harness assembly? From what I can see from my shop manual, the harness for the trunk lid is not a separate part, but runs all the way up to the body control module in the right side kick panel as part of a bigger harness.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
It's cut & splice.
The Harnesses have been available for a while before the recall.
FR3Z-14A411-X
Hmmmmm........ now I'm not sure whether or not to have this done. I've had no issues to this point, and I'm not sure I want a dealer technician cutting and splicing wires while trying to beat a warranty flat rate time. If wires are spliced correctly, they are usually no problem. If it's done in a hurry and not properly, then it invites further problems down the road.........

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm not sure I want a dealer technician cutting and splicing wires while trying to beat a warranty flat rate time.
Not sure what this pays but I always loved recalls, they paid about .5 longer than the time to repair. The exception was the LHS evaporator recall. But after doing 10 or so I got to where I could beat the time.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Hmmmmm........ now I'm not sure whether or not to have this done. I've had no issues to this point, and I'm not sure I want a dealer technician cutting and splicing wires while trying to beat a warranty flat rate time. If wires are spliced correctly, they are usually no problem. If it's done in a hurry and not properly, then it invites further problems down the road.........
Yeah, he's done it a few times already. He could beat flat rate doing it in his sleep by now and we're talking about a problem that affected a large number of cars so it's probably a when not an if.
Sponsored