Sponsored

Ford oil catch cans

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I went with an FP passenger side separator only. I chose FP for the OEM look. The ease of emptying does not match the other brands, but FP's IMO look better. After 2400 miles of street driving I had 3/8" of oil at the bottom. 1 shop cloth and less than 10 minutes was enough to clean it out. I am a bit curious as to how much volume 3/8" equals. Regardless, it is an insignificant amount.
Yup! There's no other reason to go with a particular brand OCC other than looks. There may be some nice features like an easy drain valve or something or other, but an OCC is an OCC is an OCC. They all do the same job and perform the same at doing it. And with that in mind, you cannot beat the neat factory look of the Ford can! IMO, of course.
Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Is anyone waiting until oil changes to drain their OCC? I'm wondering if emptying the OCC every 5,000 miles, for example, of street use is ok. I'm going to order these and will probably go ahead and do both sides just to be safe. It seems both sides does collect oil, not just one, based on some YouTube vids I saw. I'd love to hear other real world experiences on that too.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It's all about learning YOUR car and how far you can go before yours fills up. If you can make it all the way between oil changes, then absolutely do it. There's no performance gain either way between keeping it empty or letting it fill up. I just wouldn't let it fill up to bottom of the tube where it starts running back down the tube, but even that's not really gonna hurt anything. I personally have not done the drivers side can based on several several posts that it does absolutely nothing unless you're tracking it hard (e.g. sustained high rpm's, etc). So if you saw a video of someone getting oil out of a driver side can, then IDK.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Is anyone waiting until oil changes to drain their OCC? I'm wondering if emptying the OCC every 5,000 miles, for example, of street use is ok. I'm going to order these and will probably go ahead and do both sides just to be safe. It seems both sides does collect oil, not just one, based on some YouTube vids I saw. I'd love to hear other real world experiences on that too.
The most I've had in the driver's side is a slight dampness, almost like a couple beads of sweat. However, I've only been to the track once since I got the coolers in my car. Previous to that I went to the track a single time - when I found out I definitely needed the coolers prior to any additional track use. So, maybe some of the guys who get to the track more will have had more buildup. Maybe once some cars get 100,000+ miles on them and experience a little more blow-by we will start to see more oil in the driver's side.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
This vid shows oil on both sides. He mentions driving it hard, but I think just on the street:

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Even IF the drivers side is catching the minuscule amounts mentioned for street driving, I don’t feel the return is worth the investment for a can on that side. Not even close.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
This vid shows oil on both sides. He mentions driving it hard, but I think just on the street:

Wow, that's impressive. I hardly have any oil in my driver's side. I need to drive my car harder.

I use a food syringe to suck oil out. It's much easier and cleaner.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It's all about learning YOUR car and how far you can go before yours fills up. If you can make it all the way between oil changes, then absolutely do it. There's no performance gain either way between keeping it empty or letting it fill up. I just wouldn't let it fill up to bottom of the tube where it starts running back down the tube, but even that's not really gonna hurt anything. I personally have not done the drivers side can based on several several posts that it does absolutely nothing unless you're tracking it hard (e.g. sustained high rpm's, etc). So if you saw a video of someone getting oil out of a driver side can, then IDK.
I installed the passenger side last weekend, and received my replacement hose on the drivers side so I'll install that today. There is a good chance I'll take it off and only install it when I'm going to the track since it makes checking oil level such a pain.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Just opened mine up at 2000 miles. Drivers side had a fine oil mist. Passenger side had about 1 ounce. Plenty of room for more oil too. So I will probably empty the passenger side every oil change (about 5k miles or once a year).

FRP OCC at 2k.JPG

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Even IF the drivers side is catching the minuscule amounts mentioned for street driving, I don’t feel the return is worth the investment for a can on that side. Not even close.
I think you are right. I bought and installed one anyway because my opinion is they are relatively inexpensive. I like having the peace of mind knowing my engine isn't ingesting a bunch of oil. Plus, Ford recommended them.

Sponsored

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Just installed mine. Super easy! Quick question...is the mesh pretty much solid? I tried shing a light through it, but looks solid. I can blow air through it, but it requires some force.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I went with an FP passenger side separator only. I chose FP for the OEM look. The ease of emptying does not match the other brands, but FP's IMO look better. After 2400 miles of street driving I had 3/8" of oil at the bottom. 1 shop cloth and less than 10 minutes was enough to clean it out. I am a bit curious as to how much volume 3/8" equals. Regardless, it is an insignificant amount.
Emptied my FP passenger side separator after 1700 miles and 4 track days. 30 cc's total.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
I think you are right. I bought and installed one anyway because my opinion is they are relatively inexpensive. I like having the peace of mind knowing my engine isn't ingesting a bunch of oil. Plus, Ford recommended them.
I did the same. Got a good deal on a driver's side with a ebay 25%-off coupon so just went a head and did it...

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
I wonder how much oil Auto Fanatic's engine is using? The oil on the driver side seems excessive for 3 months of street driving.

RAUSP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rudolf
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Question about the passenger side can...

The flexible tube that goes from the can to the engine seems to be too large, and when connected to both sides, kinks up. There is no way to avoid this. Do I have a defective hose or this this normal and the kink poses no issue?

Images attached...

[Edit] nvm! Looks like this was covered...Going to try reversing!

Well...My hose kinks no matter which way I arrange it...I guess it is what it is...Hopefully this doesn't become an issue...
To apply the hose correctly is quite easy if you follow my advices (pls. see attached photo).
1. The hose needs to be directed underneath the thin wrapped cable not above.
2. Compress the hose in "spring" part as much as possible
3. Twist the fitting (it's possible without to much resistance) against the tube to reach a position without a kink of the hose
kr
Rudolf
OCC Passenger Side.jpg
Sponsored