Sponsored

Ford ESP - Active Exhaust

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Hi,

I was considering getting a Premium Ford ESP plan. I had inquired with Zeigler if the factory active exhaust would be covered, and they said 'no' based on the exhaust being considered a maintenance item. I've read a couple of threads here mentioning the AE actuators failing which to me would be more of an electrical issue. Has anyone had the AE covered under ESP or did my Zeilger contact potentially have a misinterpretation of what I was asking? Again, I'm more focused on the part that fails on the AE, the actuator module.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The best answer to your question will be:

Go to the Ford Owners Manual and read the Warranty sections at the back, specifically ALL of the areas noted as “not covered”. If you see any mention of the exhaust, AE etc. in that section it will not be covered.

Same is true with any ESP - do not focus on the what’s covered, focus on the fine print and paragraphs of what is not covered.

The problem with some folks on these ESP plans is they don’t know or even understand all of the equipment that is in today’s modern vehicles. Therefore they cannot give you a correct answer because they are just phone jockies, reading a script to sell XYZ, and up their weekly payout for another item sold based on x-commission.

You could also call the 800# found in the owners manual and call Ford direct as well, as a Rep on that end should know best.

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
The best answer to your question will be:

Go to the Ford Owners Manual and read the Warranty sections at the back, specifically ALL of the areas noted as “not covered”. If you see any mention of the exhaust, AE etc. in that section it will not be covered.

Same is true with any ESP - do not focus on the what’s covered, focus on the fine print and paragraphs of what is not covered.

The problem with some folks on these ESP plans is they don’t know or even understand all of the equipment that is in today’s modern vehicles. Therefore they cannot give you a correct answer because they are just phone jockies, reading a script to sell XYZ, and up their weekly payout for another item sold based on x-commission.

You could also call the 800# found in the owners manual and call Ford direct as well, as a Rep on that end should know best.
Cobra,
Great advice.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've never heard of an exhaust system being called a maintenance item. What exactly do you do to maintain one? I don't think it's even a wear item. Certainly not like brakes, tires or even a clutch.
As for if the exhaust is or isn't covered, ask whomever you are considering buying from to send you a copy of the plan you'reconsidering. Then read it throughly as Cobra suggests.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The AE actuators only have issues when people improperly install exhaust components. Even then, the actuators don't fail the control lines get shorted on the body which causes the error you see people talking about.

If you plan on leaving the exhaust and headers stock you do not have to worry.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have the PremiumCare ESP and just read my contract. AE is not specifically excluded and is NOT part of the definition of Wear Items in the contract.

As to the actuators, there have been instances here where the wire harness on the passenger side rubbed the frame and shorted out STOCK. It happens more frequently with resonator deletes (taking an extra 1/4-1/2” off helps with this issue) but to say you don’t have to worry if the exhaust is left stock is incorrect. It’s a bad design by Ford and it’s a known issue. There are ways to mitigate it, such as putting some silicone on the wires then wrapping them with Gorilla tape.

I’ve attached the Wear Items definition from my contract, tell Ziegler they are incorrect and then contact @Zach@Granger and his team to get a much better price on the ESP.

IMG_2759.png

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Also note that in the exclusions it does state that aftermarket parts that cause the damage to an OEM part will not be covered. So if they can prove that a resonator delete caused the damage to the AE, they will not cover it. Tampering with emissions parts is also an exclusion, I don’t believe the resonator is considered an emissions part but it’s not defined in the contract.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
it’s not that expensive anyway and it’s not like it will get you stranded. Why even stress about it?
Sponsored