Sponsored

Flushing Differential Cooler

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Had the diff fail - axle pump was inoperable; for how long who knows. (no error code or warning) Now I'm told they (dealer service department) are trying to figure out how to flush the diff cooler. Is this even a procedure? The dealership service department has said they needed to reach out to Ford Engineering for the proceedure as the shop manuals have nothing listed. That tells me this is not something that is customary -- i.e. the cooler should be replaced.

Thoughts? Experiences?
Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Had the diff fail - axle pump was inoperable; for how long who knows. (no error code or warning) Now I'm told they (dealer service department) are trying to figure out how to flush the diff cooler. Is this even a procedure? The dealership service department has said they needed to reach out to Ford Engineering for the proceedure as the shop manuals have nothing listed. That tells me this is not something that is customary -- i.e. the cooler should be replaced.

Thoughts? Experiences?
I would assume a simple couple blows with an air compressor would do the trick.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I flush mine by putting a part time hose( attached to main hose going to the cooler), into some fresh gear oil and disconnect the return line at the diff and started the pump. when it came out clean, it was flushed.

11GT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Download ForScan and get yourself an OBD port interface. You'll be able to operate the pump and do as mentioned above. The dealership should be able to operate the pump using the IDS system.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
I think the bigger problem is not “knowing how to flush” it’s whether flushing is going to remove all contaminants from the failure. There is a risk of reintroducing said contaminates into a brand new diff and it failing again. Probably why they want the actual procedure from ford.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
I think the bigger problem is not “knowing how to flush” it’s whether flushing is going to remove all contaminants from the failure. There is a risk of reintroducing said contaminates into a brand new diff and it failing again. Probably why they want the actual procedure from ford.
Bingo!!!

This is my concern.

I'm guessing the reason the dealer does not have the procedure is there is not one. I.e. replace the diff cooler.

This is what my race shop says (replace), BUT the car is under warranty.

See my conundrum??

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
Bingo!!!

This is my concern.

I'm guessing the reason the dealer does not have the procedure is there is not one. I.e. replace the diff cooler.

This is what my race shop says (replace), BUT the car is under warranty.

See my conundrum??
I’m definitely with you. I think it needs to be yanked.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The dealership service department has said they needed to reach out to Ford Engineering for the proceedure as the shop manuals have nothing listed.
Direct from the factory service manual. Your dealer needs to read more carefully.

Captureiiin.JPG

This is the flush procedure.

205-02 Rear Drive Axle/Differential
General Procedures

lube.JPG

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Direct from the factory service manual. Your dealer needs to read more carefully.

Captureiiin.JPG

General Procedures

lube.JPG

Thanks for this.... Can't believe a web forum has the answer. I need a new dealer to handle warranty issues.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I suspect the time allowed for this specific procedure isn't the greatest. Hence the lack of motivation to "find" the recommended procedure.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Even though there’s a procedure, I’d still want to replace it if risk of actual metal flake contamination. Kinda like an AC compressor and condenser should be married together. But you should be able to inspect or analyze the gear oil that came out to help with a determination.

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150

Captureiiin.JPG

General Procedures

lube.JPG

In giving some thought to your reply ... I believe the flush instructions you posted are to make sure to get out all the old fluid for a general service and NOT a flush to make certain any metal contaminants are left deposited in the cooler.

This brings me back to my concern -- metal remaining in the old cooler. I may or may not have mentioned the BMW factory instructions if a differential has been toasted on one of their cars is mandatory replacement of the cooler as well. They will allow a flushing of the lines, but that's it.

At this point, the car has been held hostage at the dealer for 36 days... Can't seem to get any kind of a straight answer and feel like I am dealing with the government. (incompetence all around and no one takes responsibility)

I am trying to keep my cool, but I am ready to become the a$$hole.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Captureiiin.JPG

General Procedures

lube.JPG

If i am reading your reply correctly, I would disagree. If the differential needs replacing, I would replace the cooler as well if there was any concern over contaminants due to damage.

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
If i am reading your reply correctly, I would disagree. If the differential needs replacing, I would replace the cooler as well if there was any concern over contaminants due to damage.
We're on the same page -- the instructions for flushing is for a service only. In my case the diff failed and I believe the cooler should be replaced.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
We're on the same page -- the instructions for flushing is for a service only. In my case the diff failed and I believe the cooler should be replaced.
Tob is a good guy. Don't read anything into his reply. I am just applying common sense to the problem and there is no way I would allow the dealer to slap the old cooler onto a car that might have had any contaminants coming out of the diff.
Sponsored