Sponsored

Keeping the rear differential cooler clean

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I was studying the rear diffuser valance and noticed that the air ducts seem to completely seal up against the rear differential cooler. Unlike the front coolers, there doesn't seem to be any mesh on the intakes holes to help prevent rubbish from getting in.

So over time, I'd suspect that leaves and other road debris will get sucked into that area and eventually hamper cooling. Would seem like the only way to keep the rear cooler clean is to remove the rear diffuser periodically.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

rancherogt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 Track Pack, 07 Volvo V70, 82 f350
I just plan on dropping the back diffuser every other oil change to get the rocks and junk out of it. The next oil change my car gets I will have my tech at my dealership drop it out and clean it up.

OP
OP
Mspeedster

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^Sounds like a good idea. Will be interested know how much junk actually does get sucked in there.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I dropped my rear diffuser when I installed my Diode Dynamics 4th Brake Light and all I had was a bunch of small rocks and pebbles. That said, I only had about 1500 miles on mine but not a single leaf! The cooler looked free of any damage too but 1500 miles isn't much to begin with.

OP
OP
Mspeedster

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dropped my rear diffuser when I installed my Diode Dynamics 4th Brake Light and all I had was a bunch of small rocks and pebbles. That said, I only had about 1500 miles on mine but not a single leaf! The cooler looked free of any damage too but 1500 miles isn't much to begin with.
Good to know, but yeah 1500 miles isn't much.

Is it easy to get off and on? Looks like just a bunch of screws and it's off, but not sure if it's more complicated than that.

Sponsored

Nazaar33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2006 Infinity M45, 2009 Nissan GTR, 2015 F150
Good to know, but yeah 1500 miles isn't much.

Is it easy to get off and on? Looks like just a bunch of screws and it's off, but not sure if it's more complicated than that.
It is easy to get off...like you said just a bunch of screws/pins...not too bad. Then it drops down and can be cleaned out.

I also had a few rocks/pebbles when I did my 4th brake light...also lower mileage when it was done (1000 miles).

OP
OP
Mspeedster

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also found that my shop vacuum hose can fit in the air ducts. That should do the trick to make sure the area stays relatively clean.

My 911 has open air ducts in the front. I need to use my shop vac about every 6 months to suck the leaves out. So this will become part of my routine for the GT350 as well.
Sponsored