Sponsored

Fix front end "floaty" feeling?

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Hey, my 2015 A6 premium GT has a floaty/loose feel on the front end when steering. Already lowered 1", using steeda proaction shocks/struts and have the rear end buttoned up already (BMR lockout, vert links, subframe alignment kit).

What's the best fix for a "tighter" feel for front end?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

moarhorsepower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, my 2015 A6 premium GT has a floaty/loose feel on the front end when steering. Already lowered 1", using steeda proaction shocks/struts and have the rear end buttoned up already (BMR lockout, vert links, subframe alignment kit).

What's the best fix for a "tighter" feel for front end?
If you are on the factory Pirellis, then changing to a Michelin PSS or Contenental EC will be the best modification you can do. The Pirellis have to be very warm to give responsive feedback and for sure aid in a floaty feeling when cold.

Aside from that, button-up the front end as Bmac mentioned, consider a stiffer spring rate, or install a front splitter if the float is felt mostly at higher speeds.

Side note: You can double check that your steering column hardware is torqued to spec as seen here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/steering-wheel-play.69464/

Also, you can engage @wildcatgoal as he and some other early 2016 and 2015 owners had to fully replace steering racks due to issues; it’s possible you could have a gremlin at work.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ in
If you are on the factory Pirellis, then changing to a Michelin PSS or Contenental EC will be the best modification you can do. The Pirellis have to be very warm to give responsive feedback and for sure aid in a floaty feeling when cold.
Preferably in wider than whatever OE front size, on wider wheels. A mild amount of "tire stretch" - something like 275/xx on 10" wide or 285/xx on 10.5" - can be quite effective.

Norm

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
In this case, responsiveness is a bit different than float. Norm and Roadway are right on the money that a good, wide summer tire will greatly improve responsiveness. However, having a base car myself that I've now tuned into a supremely competent corner carver, the front end bracing is a big part of the front end feeling like everything is mounted on pillows. Stiffening the body structure improves response and lets the suspension do its job without being attached to another set of springs.

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In this case, responsiveness is a bit different than float. Norm and Roadway are right on the money that a good, wide summer tire will greatly improve responsiveness. However, having a base car myself that I've now tuned into a supremely competent corner carver, the front end bracing is a big part of the front end feeling like everything is mounted on pillows. Stiffening the body structure improves response and lets the suspension do its job without being attached to another set of springs.

On a base car are there bracing or other differences? I thought it was just the springs and shocks.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
On a base car are there bracing or other differences? I thought it was just the springs and shocks.
The base cars are missing all of the front end bracing. 4 pieces in total, 3 up top and one below. All together its a pretty substantial difference. See the linked thread above.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
The base cars are missing all of the front end bracing. 4 pieces in total, 3 up top and one below. All together its a pretty substantial difference. See the linked thread above.
Unless you got the 20" rim package. Then it's all there minus the strut tower brace even on the base suspension cars.

OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Unless you got the 20" rim package. Then it's all there minus the strut tower brace even on the base suspension cars.
I do have the 20" rim package. So, you're saying I don't have some of the regular suspension parts?

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoustonGT

HoustonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Responsiveness and float both need corrected. I do have the 20" wheel package. I am on 275/35 r 20 conti extreme sport contact tires.

What did uou do to your car to get the feel you wanted?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Responsiveness and float both need corrected. I do have the 20" wheel package. I am on 275/35 r 20 conti extreme sport contact tires.

I have a whipple. Afraid the strut tower brace won't fit...
Ok well then you already have the cowl extension and upper K-brace pieces with your car because of that package. Which springs do you have? With that drop (it's more than 1" because of the Whipple), you may want the roll center and bumpsteer correction control arms. That will definitely help.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase

Here's an $80 part that will help: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-ultralite-2-point-g-trac-brace-555-5533.html. This single item "woke up" the steering feel in my Mustang and destroyed the numbness that can be perceived as floaty-ness. A four-point brace is also available.

I am, however, still surprised you're still experiencing a floaty feel at all with the modifications you have (strut tower or not) along with the excellent tires in a blazing climate. Do you feel the floaty feeling at all speeds? Either way, I would look into the following (from free to expensive):

- Double-check your steering shaft torx screws are torqued to spec (22n/m I believe)
- Look at your alignment sheet and see if your front toe settings are off
- Try flipping through the steering feel options to see if a particular setting helps
- Ensure your bumpstops are trimmed or the correct stack was installed
- Call-up Steeda and look into the roll-center and bumpsteer kit as Bmac mentioned
- Install a front splitter (if the floaty-ness is felt at highway speeds)
- Consider lighter wheels / front brake rotors

- Mike

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Pick up steedas tension / lateral links and get a Bumpsteer kit. Some of the float your perceiving might be slop in the base control arm bushings + bumpsteer.
Sponsored