Sponsored

Front end feels a little too "loose". What will I need to fix it?

gundam83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Oxford White
I'm not sure what that technical term is, but I've test driven a few S550 models and to me the front end seems a little too loose, snakey, squirrely, front-end heavy, etc on turns. The rear is nice and planted but the front seems a bit jumpy to me. I'm still waiting for my GT to be built, but I already have ordered Steeda springs, sways and a strut tower brace, and I'm hoping that will alleviate some of the looseness. I also plan on getting new wheels/tires. Would going with a squared setup help as well? I was debating between going squared or staggered, but after paying $$$ for Michelin PSS every few years on my previous cars, I'm leaning towards squared. If it helps tighten up front, then I'll definitely be going with squared.
Sponsored

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
First step is correct tire pressure and alignment. Most dealers forget to set the pressures down to 32, leaving them at shipping levels of 40+. Makes them very squirrelly.

Kolkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT + PP black/black/Redline
Excellent tip about the tyre pressure. Until last saturday I had done only one short proper drive and the front end did feel way too loose indeed. I had not realized 37-38 psi was too much as I come out much lighter and smaller tyre equipped cars. Dropped it to 32 and the improvement was very significant and I had a great drive saturday afternoon through the mountains :)

DanDglassman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue
Great suggestion on pressure - and a very cheap handling "mod." Once your pressures are right the addition of a strut tower brace and a lower K-brace really tighten the front up. Remember that the PP GT already comes with the tower brace.

I found that it was my rear end that felt loose. Almost like a rubber band being stretched when adjusting line through a corner. IRS braces and sub-frame bushing stiffeners took care of that.

for reference, I have a non-pp with 19" a/s Neros and I chose Steeda parts.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
square tire setup, neutralizes the car out a lot

GT Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium
I have a GT (non PP) and installed the FR Strut Tower Brace & Cowl Brace, Steeda G-Trac K-brace, and Steeda IRS subframe braces. The car feels very solid now! I can't wait until I lower it :)

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I agree that front end feels wishy washy. My bet is the best fix for this is not easy and not cheap unless you do your own labor. Replacing stock control arm bushings with polyurethane bushing have helped every time to stiffen up the front end. Braces would be next best thing to help. Being Super Charged I am already missing strut tower brace. :)

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
First step is correct tire pressure and alignment. Most dealers forget to set the pressures down to 32, leaving them at shipping levels of 40+. Makes them very squirrelly.
Great tip... Mine are all at 41, and I've been driving around for a week like that. Will drop them all to 32 tonight.

I've been thinking of the same thing. That the front end feels "loose," as well as lifting up on throttle... just a tad.

My understanding is that an upgrade to the sway bar will reduce this... in conjunction with updating the whole of the suspension.

I'll change the tire pressure, and see if that improves it, but I am planning on replacing most of the suspension shortly.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Seems lowering springs with a modest amount of drop help as well.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Curious which factory wheels/tires you guys have that are running at 32 PSI. Are you recommending 32psi or is that the factory recommendation (sticker on the door jamb)? Obviously it goes without saying that those are "cold" tire pressures.

I'm asking because I have the 20" foundry wheels and my sticker recommends 35psi cold.

In regards to the OP's question/complaint, I would 1000% suggest getting the Steeda G-Trac brace. Made a world of difference for me. Front end felt 200lbs lighter after install! Not sure the strut brace does too much in these cars but I figure it can't hurt. I have a non-PP so I didn't have one. However, my buddy with a PP sold me his after he put a Whipple on and it wouldn't fit any longer. Between that and the G-Track, front end feels great. I also have the Steeda IRS braces in the rear which help the bunny hop a bit. Eventually I may lower it too.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You can fix the front end grip and tendency to oversteer
+ Tire pressure
+ Alignment (preferably with a bit more front camber)
+ Square tires

And/or fix front-end turn-in / responsiveness.
+ Alignment (toe)
+ stiffer front sway
+ stiffer springs
+ more aggressive shocks

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
I started with lowering springs on stock dampers because coilovers weren't quite ready. Looked nice, handled poorly with the additional hp. Get a decent to better set of coilovers and spend some time with a good suspension tuner. Ridetech did some R&D with mine for a week. Different car, always feels planted, handles power out of corners. I can actually feel the car take a set in the corner whereas before it would oscillate in the rear and could be genuinely scary.
Sponsored