Sponsored

Do 2018 GT's get rid of the "floaty" feeling?

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
For those that have owned both a 2018 GT and an earlier (2015-2017) model, does the suspension of the 2018 GT reduce/get rid of the "floaty" feeling of the front end in the 2015?

I know it's not an engineering or technical term, but it describes what I sense in my 2015 GT. The absolute handling and cornering are great, but there is a difficult to describe subtle 'floaty' feeling in the front end, perhaps exaggerated by the long and seemingly high nose.

For those that have moved up to a 2018, I'm wondering if the suspension updates or magnetic ride have reduced the sensation and firmed up the ride?

Thanks!
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
For those that have owned both a 2018 GT and an earlier (2015-2017) model, does the suspension of the 2018 GT reduce/get rid of the "floaty" feeling of the front end in the 2015?

I know it's not an engineering or technical term, but it describes what I sense in my 2015 GT. The absolute handling and cornering are great, but there is a difficult to describe subtle 'floaty' feeling in the front end, perhaps exaggerated by the long and seemingly high nose.

For those that have moved up to a 2018, I'm wondering if the suspension updates or magnetic ride have reduced the sensation and firmed up the ride?

Thanks!
I added GT350R springs and Koni shocks to my 2016 which improved handling significantly and lowered the front end about .75" making the nose seem less high. As far as the 18's, they come with the lower profile front end to begin with. I believe the 2018's standard and PP 1 suspension are about the same as the 2017's, but from what I hear the magneride option makes a big difference.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Mild lowering and firmer dampers get rid of that completely.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Mild lowering and firmer dampers get rid of that completely.
Yeah, I had the stock GT suspension, and it felt like a boat. The nose was higher than the rear which make it feel like the car was driving up hill, and cornering was less than great. It's amazing what a slight drop and firmer dampers can do, not just with handling, but with visibility over the hood.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Wow, tough crowd, lol. I must be ignorant, I never thought of my GT as floaty.

That's OK though, ignorance is bliss.

Sponsored

OP
OP
analogman

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks guys!

What dampers have you used?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I don't know.. my '15 GT PP also have 1" lowering springs and sway bars. "Floaty" is a word that never comes to mind when I drive it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys!

Ford Racing Track dampers, Bilstein, Koni yellow or Steeda Pro-Action Adjustable are good choices. I'd go for the Ford Racing considering the Bilsteins are not fully available yet. Koni yellows definitely kill that feeling but are also a little harsher feeling than most would want, IMO.

Pair with BMR SP763 springs and you've got an awesome combo.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys!

I firmly believe the dampers on the 15-17 GT and GTPP are the main culprit in the float sensation....I recall hearing that the 2018 has revised shocks/struts to reduce this effect, but I can't be certain.

If you're a street driver like myself, I recommend Steeda Fixed Pro-Actions paired-up with your factory PP springs, Linear Sports or Linear Ultralites. I use the Ultralites and Fixed ProAction combo and still can't believe how amazing the car rides, feels, and handles.

- Mike

Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I firmly believe the dampers on the 15-17 GT and GTPP are the main culprit in the float sensation....I recall hearing that the 2018 has revised shocks/struts to reduce this effect, but I can't be certain.

If you're a street driver like myself, I recommend Steeda Fixed Pro-Actions paired-up with your factory PP springs, Linear Sports or Linear Ultralites. I use the Ultralites and Fixed ProAction combo and still can't believe how amazing the car rides, feels, and handles.

- Mike
The PP gt's for the most part weren't floaty stock but had some serious rear bounce on uneven pavement. Now the standard gt's did have that hovering floaty feel to them. The first thing I noticed when test driving a '15 gt bout three years ago. I ended up going with a '15 ppgt internet buy without a test drive and was glad to find out the car drove much better than the non ppgt.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
The PP gt's for the most part weren't floaty stock but had some serious rear bounce on uneven pavement. Now the standard gt's did have that hovering floaty feel to them. The first thing I noticed when test driving a '15 gt bout three years ago. I ended up going with a '15 ppgt internet buy without a test drive and was glad to find out the car drove much better than the non ppgt.
The PP stock suspension isn’t bad; but the “distance” feeling from the road was too much for me. Subjective, I suppose, but what’s impossible to argue is that these S550s turn into responsive, road-carving razor blades with little effort and a relatively small investment (I came from the BMW world where aftermarket parts can bankrupt you).

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
My 16 had the "floaty" problem before I did SVE progressive springs. Now to add struts & shocks from Bilstein to really clamp the car down to the road. The new springs really helped along with my BMR subframe braces.

svtfever

ALEX
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTPP1
18 GTPP here with magride. It still felt floaty to me somewhat. So I lowered it with ford performance GT350 springs and solved it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Well for one, the 2015s were known to have that floating issue out back, which was supposedly revised in the 2016+ shocks. Also, I heard good things about the billet shock mounts to help with such feeling.

Between a set of 2016 shocks with the mounts should help at all, and be quite a bit cheaper than the upgrade to the 2018 car.
Sponsored