Magneride feels floaty

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This may just be me feeling paranoid but i feel like my suspension in my GT feels very loose when driving my car...it DOES have magneride which ive never had before so maybe having it in normal mode makes it feel very floaty especially in the back. the only thing i can compare it to is if your driving an old classic car when you hit a bump and your whole ass end feels like its swaying around. could there be something wrong with the suspension or is this just how magneride works in normal mode? feel a little concerned for when im at really high speeds and the floatingness feels even worse. please let me know what you guys think!
6290BA29-3384-4498-96E0-F0698F553FEB.jpeg
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
go take a test ride in another GT with magneride, see if it feels the same, if not go see your dealer

Even if you have to pretend to a dealer you are buying. Make sure you are comparing like with like, PP1 or pp2 or no PP versus your car, e.g., the Bullitt is tuned differently to a standard pp1 GT so no point test driving a Bullitt

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
go take a test ride in another GT with magneride, see if it feels the same, if not go see your dealer
i was thinking about that, feel weird asking to go test drive another magneride car lol wish some of our local stang guys had magneride on their cars so i can ask them instead.

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I've got a PP2 so my springs are stiffer than the PP1, but floaty is not what normal feels like in my PP2. I think you have an issue that needs to be checked.

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I've got a PP2 so my springs are stiffer than the PP1, but floaty is not what normal feels like in my PP2. I think you have an issue that needs to be checked.
if i go get it checked what would i even say? car feels floaty check the suspension?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is also my first car with an active suspension, but somehow my first impression is a bit different from yours. Compared to all the other cars I've driven to date, I'm astonished by how planted the MagneRide feels. For the first time in 22 years I was able to drive over mild bumps mid-corner without feeling the car's ass jump and sway around. I used to think it was perfectly normal for a car to do that until I drove the Mustang. I'm extremely impressed.
So what you're experiencing doesn't look normal to me. MagneRide is not supposed to be like that.
That being said, the independent rear suspension is very sensitive to adjustments, and it appears that many Mustangs come from the factory with it misaligned and/or misadjusted. I'd have it checked. You may also want to take a look at Steeda's stop-the-hop kit and other IRS adjustment/centering kits. They're supposed to change the suspension drastically for the better.

if i go get it checked what would i even say? car feels floaty check the suspension?
Yes, car feels floaty, please check IRS alignment.

Last edited:
OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This is also my first car with an active suspension, but somehow my first impression is a bit different from yours. Compared to all the other cars I've driven to date, I'm astonished by how planted the MagneRide feels. For the first time in 22 years I was able to drive over mild bumps mid-corner without feeling the car's ass jump and sway around. I used to think it was perfectly normal for a car to do that until I drove the Mustang. I'm extremely impressed.
So what you're experiencing doesn't look normal to me. MagneRide is not supposed to be like that.
That being said, the independent rear suspension is very sensitive to adjustments, and it appears that many Mustangs come from the factory with it misaligned and/or misadjusted. I'd have it checked. You may also want to take a look at Steeda's stop-the-hop kit and other IRS adjustment/centering kits. They're supposed to change the suspension drastically to the better.

Yes, car feels floaty, please check IRS alignment.
i will definitely give this a shot thank you :)

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had refrained from commenting as I have no other mustang experience to compare to, but at the same time I can also agree with what Vlad has said.

I don't know if the euro mustang is a direct comparison as although we are effectively pp1, I did hear that the suspension on ours is tweaked a little to fall in line with Euro expectations. I don't know if that refers to just springs or springs, ARB's and dampers (or MR settings on an MR car) etc. I would like to know for sure so if anyone has any firm info on this it would be appreciated.

Other than that I can confirm that my euro MR car in sport+ mode on the 255 / 275 MPS4S (30 psi cold) is surprisingly planted - confirmed by my Tuesday night blast.

Local dual carriageway - slight crest, slight left hand , slightly of camber and slightly (big understatement ...) over the speed limit and the car actually surprised me. Every car I have owned has gone over that section of road many times and the mustang has been the only positive surprise.

WD :like:

Edit - Just a thought - Does anyone know what happens to an un-powered MR damper i.e. if it lost all electrical connection, is it softer than a 'normal' damper or is it about the same ? If the wires got severed by debris being flicked up under the arch, is the system intelligent enough to throw a dash light ?

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I may be waaaaaay off base here, but that looks to be sitting quite high for a Magneride equipped GT. How long have you had the car? Ensure there are no "shipping blocks" on the springs (I know GT350/GT500s have these.......not sure on M/ride GTs).

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I may be waaaaaay off base here, but that looks to be sitting quite high for a Magneride equipped GT. How long have you had the car? Ensure there are no "shipping blocks" on the springs (I know GT350/GT500s have these.......not sure on M/ride GTs).
i can definitely look and see! i didnt know that magneride cars sit lower?

OP
OP

sigma4g

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Just a bit. Clearly visible in a side-by-side comparison if you're looking carefully, but it doesn't jump out at you.
Vlad your amazing! seems like you know quite a bit! until i can reach my guy at ford is there anything i can do to look under the car to see if theres anything out of place?
Sponsored