Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
So this may be a new one, I'm hoping you all can help out. I noticed today while bored in traffic that there's a few degrees of play in my steering wheel. Regardless of which steering mode I'm in, I can rotate my steering wheel a few degrees before I feel any feedback/resistance that I normally feel when the front wheels actually move. Is this normal or am I onto something?

I don't know if this is a result of recently having my engine replaced (ugh, I'm going to have to mention/discuss this for the rest of my ownership of this car, aren't I?): http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66091

I'm going to tag a few people who I think are knowledgeable on this platform and/or have also had an engine replaced: [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION] [MENTION=19530]Voodooo[/MENTION] [MENTION=19262]Zitrosounds[/MENTION] [MENTION=24957]Minn19[/MENTION] [MENTION=25155]Sammy[/MENTION] [MENTION=16389]Toodles[/MENTION] [MENTION=16819]Roh92cp[/MENTION] [MENTION=21698]swedensky[/MENTION]

I made a mediocre video of it here:

[ame]
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Went out and checked mine. I don't think it's like that. If I try, I can feel a little bump here and there but yours seems consistent.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I've had no issue since I swaped my engine in. I've noted 2 things for you to check from my engine removal and instal, below would be the only 2 areas of the steering they would have messed with during your engine replacement. Both are easy enough to check one being the steer No column inside behind the pedals. The lower shaft is best accessible with car up on jack stands or lift between the header and frame rails.

It's possible they forgot to tighten these bolts here or seat the shaft like in this pick.

Also possible the steering colum lower shaft bolt isn't tight. It's torqued to 22 ft lbs.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
interesting things you see on forums, mine doesnt have that

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
You can easily see the steering shaft from under the car. They do have to disconnect it at the union as i shown in the second image Roh92cp posted. Bet it is lose. If it is it will allow play in the steering. Should be an easy fix.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all, I will check it out when I have the car lifted for an oil change this weekend.
Just watched the video. GUARANTEE IT IS LOOSE!!!!!

Last edited:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Thanks for the heads up [MENTION=24548]kairojya[/MENTION]. Another thing to add to the re-delivery/engine swap check list.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Something is either loose or was not installed correctly in the steering shaft. Could be a loose fastener or a bushing/washer left out somewhere.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Check your EndLinks if they are installed on the correct side of the strut. Also,check your alignment (toe).

Sponsored
OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Check your EndLinks if they are installed on the correct side of the strut. Also,check your alignment (toe).
Do you mean the sway bar end links? Is it possible for them to be installed incorrectly with the GT350 magneride struts? I'm not familiar at all with the suspension on this car (yet). I believe my engine was pulled through the top rather than a subframe drop, when the dealership replaced my original engine. Therefore I don't believe they would've disconnected any suspension related fasteners. The end links should be easy enough to check, though I don't know if I'll be able to tell whether or not they are installed correctly...

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
Do you mean the sway bar end links? Is it possible for them to be installed incorrectly with the GT350 magneride struts? I'm not familiar at all with the suspension on this car (yet). I believe my engine was pulled through the top rather than a subframe drop, when the dealership replaced my original engine. Therefore I don't believe they would've disconnected any suspension related fasteners. The end links should be easy enough to check, though I don't know if I'll be able to tell whether or not they are installed correctly...
If the engine was replaced the way mine was they should have not touched suspension components. Did you have the problem before the eng replacement? If the answer is no, then it is the steering shaft as that is definitely separated to facilitate the engine removal.

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
[MENTION=16819]Roh92cp[/MENTION] does this look right? I'm wondering if the "steering column dash seal" as it's called in the image you shared, is seated correctly.

(sorry for focus fail)

Also, checking the upper column pinch bolt in the engine bay up near the firewall, it looks to me like there's some tool marks in the head. Suggesting that it was possibly disconnected during my engine swap (or maybe it's from the factory, who knows). I'll check the lower one next time I'm under the car, this weekend. In the cabin, I am able to rotate the steering wheel very slightly without the column shaft moving. With my left hand on the shaft, right hand turning the wheel (lol...).

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Steering Play?

Mine seems to do that as well, but when driving it is not free play, those small movements make the car slowly change direction, so I think it's normal... What happens when you do that while actually moving?

OP
OP
kairojya

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Mine seems to do that as well, but when driving it is not free play, those small movements make the car slowly change direction, so I think it's normal... What happens when you do that while actually moving?
Thanks for sharing. I can actually move the steering wheel (less than as seen in the video) while moving down the road, and the car still tracks straight. It's only a tiny amount of movement, so I may have had this all along and didn't notice it.

I also just remembered that I did some heavy braking recently and the car was moving around a bit at the front end (at least I think it was the front) while braking. It could be normal with these tires and the roads I was on, but maybe that caused something to loosen up. I'll report back in this thread, if I find anything, when I look over the car in more detail.
Sponsored