Sponsored

First oil change

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
My 2019 GT has around 1060 miles. I've followed to the T exactly how Ford described to drive this vehicle during the first 1000 miles. I went over 4500 rpm once but other than that one time I've went as high as 3500(Maybe) and varied the RPMS with no cruise control.

I have s 1PM oil change set for tomorrow first 3 are free.

Here's the question and I see this being debated back and forth over and over for a while now. It calls for 5w20 but have been reading some folks going with 5w50 or 40 or even 30. Now I don't drive the car like a maniac only occasionally will I run WOT and that will be only here and there. Its my baby so trying to take care of it.

So knowing all this should I go for the 30, 40 or 50? The temps is Arkansas during winter average around 28° mornings and highs in the upper 40's and low 50's. During the summer temps start out at 75-80° and go up to 100 on a regular basis.

This is Your car...what do you do tomorrow? 30, 40 or 50?
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
5w20 as suggested in the manual. You’re not, by what you describe, driving the car in a manner that would require a thicker oil.

There’s endless debate on what’s “right” for these engines and the ability of 5w20 to cool quicker and maintain the required flow characteristics vs other weight oils. 20 or 30 are both acceptable but for a brand new car, still wearing in, I would stick with 5w20 full synthetic.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Personally I would run a ford spec 5w30. I believe the owners manual allows for it and parts will wear slower with 30 vs 20.

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If you're going to a dealer, they likely won't give you an option on the freebie oil change. You're gonna get MC 5W20 synthetic blend. Nothing wrong with it, so don't worry about it.

OP
OP
13razorbackfan

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If you're going to a dealer, they likely won't give you an option on the freebie oil change. You're gonna get MC 5W20 synthetic blend. Nothing wrong with it, so don't worry about it.
Yes I'm going to the dealer but my understanding is I have $210worth of cash rewards to spend anyway I want. So if it's an extra $20 to come off the $210 in rewards then I may go that route. I'll probably talk to their engine guy and see what he thinks also but keep the info coming guys I'm learning a lot here

Sponsored

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I went with 5-30 when I did my first oil change. Manual said if you drive it hard or track it I think then 5/30 was recommended and I love to push it at times. It's also hot in Florida and don't like the thought of a super thin oil on hot days.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I did my first oil change at about 4000 miles. They put in the Motorcraft 5W20 semi synthetic which was okay by me as that is what the car calls for. I for one, don't like to go full synthetic too early in an engine's life because I think it may be a bit to "slippery" to allow the motor to settle in fully say during its first 10000 miles or whatever. But that is just my own opinion and it is not based on any legit info. Having said that I'm fine with what is in it now. I don't recall the manual saying not to go over 4500 RPM's though. I did go over that here and there but likely not over 6000 during the first 1000 miles. I was definitely harder on the car during that time than the OP was but I didn't want to baby it too much either.......

OP
OP
13razorbackfan

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I did my first oil change at about 4000 miles. They put in the Motorcraft 5W20 semi synthetic which was okay by me as that is what the car calls for. I for one, don't like to go full synthetic too early in an engine's life because I think it may be a bit to "slippery" to allow the motor to settle in fully say during its first 10000 miles or whatever. But that is just my own opinion and it is not based on any legit info. Having said that I'm fine with what is in it now. I don't recall the manual saying not to go over 4500 RPM's though. I did go over that here and there but likely not over 6000 during the first 1000 miles. I was definitely harder on the car during that time than the OP was but I didn't want to baby it too much either.......
It's my baby and I babied it lol. I do the same with my F250'S. I work really hard during the season to have $170k in Ford vehicles and I certainly don't want to rag them out. I'm gonna ask the engine guy today what he thinks then I'll combine it with you guys thoughts and make a decision. Hopefully it goes well.

PS...I've gone through the research in a lawnsite forum about full synthetic oil from the start on the big Kawasaki motors on my zero turn mowers. Get mixed reviews there too

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
It's my baby and I babied it lol. I do the same with my F250'S. I work really hard during the season to have $170k in Ford vehicles and I certainly don't want to rag them out. I'm gonna ask the engine guy today what he thinks then I'll combine it with you guys thoughts and make a decision. Hopefully it goes well.

PS...I've gone through the research in a lawnsite forum about full synthetic oil from the start on the big Kawasaki motors on my zero turn mowers. Get mixed reviews there too
Haha no worries man its just a bunch of guys sharing ideas :) I didn't beat on my car but i wouldn't call it babied either. I know there are folks who say drive it like you stole it right off the lot & I can't bring myself to do that either. Most pulls were around 5k which isn't too high either especially considering the cars 7400 or so redline.

I also think we all should do what we are comfortable with & that we as enthusiasts overthink this stuff as the average owner won't even pull the stick to see if oil is even in there lol. But hey we love these cars so that is what we do!

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
FYI, Synthetic oils aren’t more slippery than conventional.
Yeah I didn't really mean slippery hence the quotes around it I meant that they may not let things wear/seat in as quick or effectively but again that is just my own speculation. Kind of why some guys will use Dino oil during the break in and then switch to a full synthetic.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I’m pretty sure the Anti-wear and friction-reduction agents in additive package have more to do with that than the base oil.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
I’m pretty sure the Anti-wear and friction-reduction agents in additive package have more to do with that than the base oil.
Yeah no doubt they do its just something I've wondered about and I know some others have commented on here in a similar way. Thx for clarifying that.

OP
OP
13razorbackfan

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
So the tech told me to wait to 5000 miles especially if I have been babying it. He said babying for the first 1000, which is good and also allowing rpms to fluctuate, he said that once I hit 1000 I really need to drive it hard to allow the rings to set in. He said then bring it back at 5k and have the oil changed. He basically said the oil is still virtually brand new and a a waste to change it right now since it's been babied its whole life