First oil change, when?

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
My 2021 GT Premium rarely driven is approaching 2000 miles now. I am thinking maybe I should get an oil change even though I am at very low miles still. I'm sure it's unnecessary at this point, but I would like to know the general consensus.
Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Iā€™m at less than 800 miles on my 2021 and was wondering the same thing. I think Iā€™ll take it in next month and just have it done regardless

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I don't expect to put many miles on mine either. A few thousand a year.

I anticipate changing my oil once a year.

Reference: 2022 Ford Mustang Owner's Manual, starting at page 452.

I have a 2022. I'd just gotten my break-in mileage (1009 miles / 1623 km) before Winter storage. Now, out of storage, I'm starting to put miles on again. I currently have 39% left on the oil monitor.

I recently read through the Owner's Manual on this. Ford's recommendation:

"Your vehicle has an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time.

This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display."

The Owner's Manual then begins to explain when to expect the message prompting an oil change, using different conditions and how they effect the Oil Monitor countdown.

At the end of this is a footnote, "Do not exceed one year or 10,000 mi (16,000 km) between service intervals." This makes sense. The Oil Monitor counts down and expires at one year, even if sitting. I confirmed mine was counting down 1.92% a week while stored.

I'm still on the factory fill. I have a belief there are engine assembly lubes, break-in lubes, etc. within the current mix. I'll be holding off until I have a little left on the Oil Monitor, like 10-15%.

I expect to change my oil in a few months.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
And If you do not have an Oil Monitor, it has not been reset or it is inoperative, Ford's guidance:

"If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles (8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals."

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=2622&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G1526114&ProcUid=G1526115&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web#:~:text=See Engine Oil Check.,kilometers) between oil change intervals.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I do at 5k or once a year. The car does have an oil life monitor. It takes into acount time, mileage, idle time among other things to calculate. Can't go wrong going by that if all else fails. 2k on the original fill on a 21 model, I would change it now if it were me.
Sponsored