Failing inspection - SOS

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
Just got a 2017 GT and have failed inspection (once) and the readiness test (a few times) over the past couple days. It was in transit on a truck for ~2 weeks and I have put ~150 miles on it since I picked it up.

Failing on Cats, O2S, HRT

Mods include C&L CAI, MBRP Catted LTH, GT350 intake manifold/throttle body, and a custom tune. Mechanic has told me to just keep driving it. Has anyone else gone through this? Could the monitors have reset after just 2 weeks? How many miles should I expect it to take to clear them? Could any of the mods be the root cause of the fails? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VegasEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Yeesh. That’s rough. If they jumped the battery at all, it would reset the readiness monitors to not ready. Is it setting a check engine light? Do you know which monitors are reporting not ready? You need some more info to identify and remedy the issue. Google OBD drive cycle and you can try following the recommended reset drive cycle. But I’d bet a dollar it’s the catted headers causing the issue.

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
Yeesh. That’s rough. If they jumped the battery at all, it would reset the readiness monitors to not ready. Is it setting a check engine light? Do you know which monitors are reporting not ready? You need some more info to identify and remedy the issue. Google OBD drive cycle and you can try following the recommended reset drive cycle. But I’d bet a dollar it’s the catted headers causing the issue.
No check engine light, monitors not ready are cats, O2S, HRT

Hoping it’s not the headers.. that’d be a pain

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
The custom tune probably wont set those to ready. I would lean that way especially if a CEL never appears.

If you got it tuned, you can ask the tuner to turn those back on. But there is no guarantee that you wont throw a CEL since it seems its luck of the draw when it comes to aftermarket header cats.

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
The custom tune probably wont set those to ready. I would lean that way especially if a CEL never appears.

If you got it tuned, you can ask the tuner to turn those back on. But there is no guarantee that you wont throw a CEL since it seems its luck of the draw when it comes to aftermarket header cats.
Got it, unfortunately the previous owner had it tuned. Any advice on who to go for a retune?

Sponsored

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Hmm... depends on what device if any that you have? You also have to figure in the cost. It would seem that Lund is the best, but the cost of the RTD, credits, plus tune is pricey. If you already have a device let us know what it is and then people can recommend upon that.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
Bama X4 came with the car

Jhamp232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The tune could certainly be the culprit. Assuming monitors were set to “No error reported” (P0420/0430) etc. for the LTH could cause the OBD monitors to loop testing into an endless “Not Ready” status. Are defoulers installed on the downstream o2s?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Good luck getting a tuner to monkey with any CEL dealing with emissions.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Bama X4 came with the car
load the stock tune. scan for codes and post them up (no need to start it) . That'll tell us right away whether the custom tune had anything shut off.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
It would report a P1000 system not ready code if it was a drive cycle issue.

As mentioned, chances are it’s the tune. Previous owner must not have had to deal with emissions.

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
It would report a P1000 system not ready code if it was a drive cycle issue.

As mentioned, chances are it’s the tune. Previous owner must not have had to deal with emissions.
Yup he told me he had a guy who just put a sticker on it
load the stock tune. scan for codes and post them up (no need to start it) . That'll tell us right away whether the custom tune had anything shut off.
got it, should be able to reload the existing tune afterwards right?
The tune could certainly be the culprit. Assuming monitors were set to “No error reported” (P0420/0430) etc. for the LTH could cause the OBD monitors to loop testing into an endless “Not Ready” status. Are defoulers installed on the downstream o2s?
Not sure, how can I check?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
got it, should be able to reload the existing tune afterwards right?
as long as it's on the device, yes Sir.