OBD Readiness Check Failing

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
My Ecoboost does not set all the monitors with a tune. I have resigned myself to putting it back to the stock tune for inspection.

Dave
Such bullshit
Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
You should be thankful they don't actually put a sniffer up the tail pipe anymore for emissions testing, most tunes and all vehicles without a cat would fail. My 89 Shelby Daytona required swapping the ECU for a tune and would not pass the tail pipe sniff test tuned so I had to swap back to the stock ECU every year for inspection, swapping tunes through the OBD port is a minor inconvenience.

The status monitors are there to ensure the systems have been working as designed for a period of time before inspection to prevent folks from pulling into inspection, clearing the ECU and passing the OBD check.

Technically all tunes are illegal and people selling them get away with it by hiding behind the "For Off-road Use Only" banner. That's why it's so important to support the SEMA petition against the proposed change in regulations that would make it illegal to modify a EPA certified vehicle for Off-road/Racing use.

Dave

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Well I drove over 600 miles today round trip to North Carolina and the catalytic converter monitors still never set as "ready". Next option is the O2 spacers and another thorough drive cycle.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
if you drove that far and never got a check engine light I highly doubt that in the tune all the monitors are set to on.

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
if you drove that far and never got a check engine light I highly doubt that in the tune all the monitors are set to on.
This is the deal... I still have stock exhaust manifolds and cats on the vehicle. I have a cat back exhaust along with other mods listed below. Lund reviewed my tune and said that all my emissions parameters are set to stock and the rear O2 sensors are turned back on. I wouldn't throw a CEL anyways for the cats. I have heard from a few others that their aftermarket tuned S550 isn't setting the O2 and CAT readiness codes to "ready" even with just a CAI and Catback. Maybe there is a glitch in the PCM that doesn't allow it to set with an aftermarket tune on the car. I dunno

Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah I can only be a few things either a bad tune with it not actually turned back on something with ford devices that it won't register with aftermarket Tunes something actually wrong with the ECU or perhaps it's device-specific related as in maybe it's just the n-gage itself would have to check with others using other in gauges or SCT tuner or Diablo sport tuner. maybe the only way to get around it would be a custom tune.

bullet6236

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Spark plug non fouler, Dorman 18mm 42009, each comes in a two pack get two packs or two. Drill out first set with 1/2" drill bit, install non drilled set first then drilled out ones then the sensor, if it still kicks a cel light later on remove the sensor and add a little steel wool, but most with high flow cats don't need the wool only with off road pipes.

I have ARH long tubes w/cats 1 7/8" x 3", running a Lund "emissions" tune that enables all monitors. I received the P0420 P0430 codes and then installed the Dorman spacers, drilled out one and stacked on the second with steel wool between. Now I am getting P2096 Fuel Trim System Too Lean. Plan to remove the steel wool and see if that lets the sensor pick up enough exhaust gas.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have ARH long tubes w/cats 1 7/8" x 3", running a Lund "emissions" tune that enables all monitors. I received the P0420 P0430 codes and then installed the Dorman spacers, drilled out one and stacked on the second with steel wool between. Now I am getting P2096 Fuel Trim System Too Lean. Plan to remove the steel wool and see if that lets the sensor pick up enough exhaust gas.
You put the spacers on the down stream O2 sensor, correct?

The sensor(s) closest to the engine are the ones used to adjust the fuel mixture. The down stream ones are used to monitor the cats.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got the same lean code with the steel wool, removed and I've been fine for almost a year now.

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I'm just in the process of fitting some LTH to my UK spec GT..:)

Could someone tell me, is the idea of the spacers to completely remove the sensor from the exhaust gas flow?? Or just back it out a bit:shrug:..

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
This is the deal... I still have stock exhaust manifolds and cats on the vehicle. I have a cat back exhaust along with other mods listed below. Lund reviewed my tune and said that all my emissions parameters are set to stock and the rear O2 sensors are turned back on. I wouldn't throw a CEL anyways for the cats. I have heard from a few others that their aftermarket tuned S550 isn't setting the O2 and CAT readiness codes to "ready" even with just a CAI and Catback. Maybe there is a glitch in the PCM that doesn't allow it to set with an aftermarket tune on the car. I dunno
I know this is an old thread, but any update on what you did to get readiness on O2 and CAT monitors? Was that ever resolved with the spacers? I'm in a very similar situation as you.

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Did the drive cycle and also a few WOT runs to heat up the O2's to get them to set as well.

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Alright thanks. I'll go on another driver cycle tomorrow and see if that resolves anything.

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
You really have to do exactly what the Drive Cycle says to do in order to get them to set. Do a few WOT pulls as well
Sponsored