Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem + PP
Hi,

I have a '15 GT PP Prem in Pennsylvania with the following mods:
1. Stainless Power long tubes with HF cats
2. JLT Intake + BAMA tune

I was having a CEL shortly after tuning the car. I went to the inspection (bought the car out of state), and just deleted the code, but still failed to inspection.

They said the reason was the "obd readiness" check failed. I drove the car for a couple hundred miles prior to the CEL returning, then still failed. Then I contacted BAMA and they re-tuned my car to eliminate the CEL issue, drove the car 500-700 miles before retesting, STILL FAILED. Same reason each time. (obd readiness)

Just another issue, might be related. My LT headers were dead quite at cruising speeds when new. NOW, my car drones like a b**ch (just have 7k miles on the car). I have stock resonator and mufflers! Could it be that my O2 has been malfunctioning due to my tune all this time and as a result, I burned by cats out?

Guys... what do I do???? I need this inspection sticker!
Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did you drive the car 500-700 miles on the highway only? If yes then that is your problem.

The readiness check wants to have a few cold starts, hot starts around town driving, etc. A highway cruise is not enough.

OP
OP

minubaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove highway, traffic, around town - everything! Plenty of cold morning starts and hot starts too.

An the cats burning out is potentially indicative of some kind of o2 issue as well...

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Bama may have the rear O2 sensors turned off in your tune to remove the CEL. Call them up and find out what is going on.

Please keep us updated when you pass inspection!

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Yep, your rear o2's may be turned off. However if you have them turned on you'll throw a CEL for cat efficiency. You are in a situation you may never resolve due to the longtubes.

Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If it's the rear O2's that are turned off, get a set of O2 spacers off eBay. In IL we used to be able to pass emissions with up to two monitors turned off. Now they all have to be on.

I went through the same exact thing with my 08 Bullitt that had longtubes with no cats. Had the tuner turn the rear O2's back on and installed spacers. Passed!

These are the spacers I used.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2X-304-Stainl...-degrees-02-/281047138898?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Ruby red GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby red premium GT
Your rear O2 sensors are turned off. Have your tuner turn them on and use spacers.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a Ecoboost with a cat back exhaust, stock cat and a tune. I have never had a CEL in the 21k miles I have put on it.

When I brought mine in for inspection 5 out of the 8 status monitors were not ready. I called my tuner and he said that he didn't do anything that would have kept them from completing.

I put the stock tune back on and followed the Ford drive cycle procedure for setting all the monitors. Took about 2 hours and I had 7 of them set which is acceptable for passing the emissions test and got my sticker.

I have the tune back on the car and have driven about 750 miles of mixed driving and still have 5 that are not ready.

Dave

OP
OP

minubaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, so seems like turning o2 back on and adding spacers is the way to go. Can I check the monitors at home somehow using my laptop and/or SCT handheld? It take 1-2 hours each time I take the car in and I have done this 4 times already with no success!

Last edited:

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use an app called Torque on my Droid phone with a bluetooth device. You can monitor everything in real time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

minubaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered the following:
1. two spacers with eh 90 degree angle
2. ELM327 Bluetooth OBD II Scanner ($9 on ebay)

I did some research and PA required 11 out of 12 monitors to be read. The current ones that are not working are:
1. O2 Sensor
2. O2 Heater
3. Catalytic Converter

Let's hope that at least two of the above start working after retune + spacers! Keep you guys posted in a week or so.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had that cheap blue device and could never get it to work. I ended up buying a more expensive one. Others haven't had any problems with them though.

Getting those monitors to set can be extremely difficult. Try and follow the Ford Drive Cycle as much as possible.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Sounds like you just need the proper tune where all the emission stuff that needs to be elimited is not just deleted but turned off in such a manner that it still shows up in a scan as "Ready".

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Sounds like you just need the proper tune where all the emission stuff that needs to be elimited is not just deleted but turned off in such a manner that it still shows up in a scan as "Ready".

You cannot turn off emissions controls and have the readiness tests show as Ready.

OP
OP

minubaba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope - tune only will not help. BAMA informed me that there is no tune change they can ever do to make me pass PA State Inspection. I have to remove my headers (cost $800 just in labor) to pass the inspection. PA inspections are ANNUAL.

What pisses me off is that Stainless Works sells these SP headers with high-flow cats, and people such as me buy them thinking they will still be legal and emissions safe. It is a total scam. Let's hope this "spacer" solution works out, otherwise, I am fu***d

Another gripe: Over the last 2k miles, they developed a very loud drone. It is literally out of control at this point (I drive in 5th gear at 75mph instead of 6th to avoid headaches). And I have stock resonator and mufflers. My mechanic is searching for a leak, but if not - it must be poor quality of the headers. It is a shame, because I paid $1200 for these. :(
Sponsored