Sponsored

Failed Emissions on New Ecoboost?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Well I gave up on the stage 0 and am now back to full stock, no tune at all. That really should get rid of any variables that would keep the sensors being stuck on a not ready status. I should go through a few drive cycles today. The stage 0 tune seemed to work except the EVAP system was the only one that would not come back on. Fingers crossed this fixed it.

You are fine with just the EVAP not showing ready. Dave
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
OP
OP
BoostedScarlett

BoostedScarlett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Ecoboost
Just curious about how a "Burble Tune" actually achieves the "burble" - does it create an intermittent overly lean or rich condition to do so?
I cannot confidently explain how it works but basically it dumps extra fuel that isn’t burned off and will ignite in the exhaust. Someone please correct me because I feel like I’m missing points here but that is what I think it is.

OP
OP
BoostedScarlett

BoostedScarlett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Ecoboost
In red. You're speaking your own language. Be plain.
Ost - off the shelf. This is a pre loaded Cobb tune. They have a stage 0 tune which is supposed to be stock. Unmarrry means to basically uninstall the AccessPort to regain your factory tune.

OP
OP
BoostedScarlett

BoostedScarlett

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Ecoboost
You are fine with just the EVAP not showing ready. Dave
Yes this worked!! Thanks for letting me know that. Now that I have passed emissions, back to modding for another year!!! I was gonna keep driving until that monitor turned on.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
You're paying $25 a year for absolutely nothing, nothing at all, and you're acting like I'm the stupid one?
His point is he isn't inconvenienced every year having to take his car into a smog shop plus having to pay $18. Plus, he could modify his car and not worry about the smog testing for up to 8 years. The $25 is probably for registration, which is required in a lot (all?) of states anyway. Given the choice, I'd gladly pay $7 more so I didn't have to take the car in every year AND be able to modify the car without worrying about smog for 8 years. My time and mileage on the car is worth more than that. $7/year is not even a blip on the financial radar.

BLU-PNY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Mustang premium vert, 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2006 Mazda Miata
I cannot confidently explain how it works but basically it dumps extra fuel that isn’t burned off and will ignite in the exhaust. Someone please correct me because I feel like I’m missing points here but that is what I think it is.
That's sorta what I assumed a "burble tune" does .....
Couldn"t that create non-compliant emissions for testing??

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Not exactly on-topic, but I'll mention this and maybe save someone some grief later on. I took my mom's 2000 Lincoln LS in for a smog check a while ago--if you're not familiar with the car, it's basically a Jag S-Type with different sheet metal--and it failed the cat converter test. I'd had a 'Change oil now' message that I couldn't figure out how to clear--and was too lazy to read the OM--so I thought 'Screw it, I'll just clear all the codes with my OBDII reader.' It turns out the cat test, or at least part of it, involves reading the cat's statistics--apparently, it's pretty good at reading its own status--so, because I'd cleared the cat's memory it failed. I had to drive a good 50 or more highway miles and have it retested a couple times before it would finally pass the test (which, for a newer California car is just a visual inspection and a reading of the ECU for codes and status). So, the moral is if you mess with the ECU much, or any, you might be asking for some hassle come smog time.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
You guys are getting f'ed! What a pain in the ass!
Here is good old Commie-fornia, we don't have to smog a new car for 8 years! And then only every other year after that.
It was 6 years, but they changed it to 8 last year. You do have to pay a $25 fee each year.

No chit.... I was not aware of the 8 year ruling. Is that for new vehicle sales after that law or does my 16 qualify?

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
In red. You're speaking your own language. Be plain.
What he said made plenty of sense. Clear as day if you have an Ecoboost

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
No chit.... I was not aware of the 8 year ruling. Is that for new vehicle sales after that law or does my 16 qualify?
I'm not sure, but I think it's retroactive. I just paid my reg on my '14 (bought in July of '14) which would be 6 years. I should ask my cousin, he bought his '14 in Nov '13, so this November would be 7 years. That would be the test.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I'm not sure, but I think it's retroactive. I just paid my reg on my '14 (bought in July of '14) which would be 6 years. I should ask my cousin, he bought his '14 in Nov '13, so this November would be 7 years. That would be the test.
" Smog Checks are required biennially (every other year) on vehicles more than eight model-years old. Additionally, a Smog Check is required if you sell a vehicle that is more than four model-years old and when registering an out-of-state vehicle for the first time in California. "

https://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/Consum...1-how-often-does-my-vehicle-have-to-be-tested

Edit: Some counties are exempt. Also, they changed the rule so that MY 1975 and older don't have to be smogged at all.

Last edited:

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Thanks for posting the actual language. Seems clear to me. Anything under 8 model years.

I don' t know how long the 1975 law has been in effect. I had a '71 Mach 1 I bough tin 1994 and it was exempt then.

I heard some talk of raising that to 1985...that would be great. NASCAR style T-Bird.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Like Mikey said i think its retroactive, so it should qualify and if you read the link Bullitt posted its states " Smog Checks are required biennially (every other year) on vehicles more than eight model-years old " . Also our abatement fee is $20 for up to 6 years and $25 for year 7 and 8. which im ok with, id rather pay the 20-25 dollars for "nothing" then to pay or hell even have free emissions test. because my ass would fail it and im not replacing these headers back and forth every other year lol. In fact once my 8 years is up ill be moving registration to Nevada and only have to pass a OBD2 check for the smog check and allowed 1 not ready. hopefully that stays the same from here on out.
Sponsored