Ewheels Road Course Build

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting....
I did notice at my last event at Buttonwillow, I'd hit the brakes hard going into sunrise, no issues, but then braking hard again entering cotton corners, it would almost feel like glazed pads. Hard pedal but no bite. This was consistent each session
Sounds a little bit like my high RPM vacuum issue - hard pedal, not much slowdown. Only happens when I come off full throttle at high RPM and immediately stab the brakes. Pumping once usually recovers the braking force, but its scary as F when you aren't expecting it. Giving the car a moment from throttle to brake usually lets the brakes work. Depending on the track it might only be a problem on one corner.

Think I need a vacuum bottle in the engine bay, but haven't taken that step yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds a little bit like my high RPM vacuum issue - hard pedal, not much slowdown. Only happens when I come off full throttle at high RPM and immediately stab the brakes. Pumping once usually recovers the braking force, but its scary as F when you aren't expecting it. Giving the car a moment from throttle to brake usually lets the brakes work. Depending on the track it might only be a problem on one corner.

Think I need a vacuum bottle in the engine bay, but haven't taken that step yet.
Can you elaborate on this more?
This might be the exact issue. In my particular corner, I'm right at the top of 3rd gear (maybe it's 4th gear...I need to watch my video again)
I'll have to test this next time I'm at that track

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
That could also be due to the particulars of the track. I’ve had the same in turn 10 at Laguna, no idea why but unpredictable pedal bite point there and rock solid everywhere else. Lap after lap. Odd isn’t it?
Laguna is notorious for pad knock-back. You have a long duration, heavily loaded corner with curbing (turn 9) which knocks the pads back a bit and then you feel it when you go to the pedal in turn 10. A lot of time, you can get the same into turn 5.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Laguna is notorious for pad knock-back. You have a long duration, heavily loaded corner with curbing (turn 9) which knocks the pads back a bit and then you feel it when you go to the pedal in turn 10. A lot of time, you can get the same into turn 5.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Thank you! Knew it was the track somehow just not the precise mechanics. Thanks again.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Pad knock-back would feel like what?

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
In my case its a high rpm full throttle lift and stab the brakes and I get a hard pedal but not much slowing. If you stay on the hard pedal you push wide, if you stab them again you get a bit more braking force. Only happens sometimes and it seems mostly at high RPM. Any coasting before brake application entering the corner and it doesn’t seem to happen.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Pad knock-back would feel like what?
The pedal goes long, but is firm once the pads make contact with the disc. It doesn't lose braking force like the vacuum assist issue you're describing, but the first time the driver hits the brake pedal and it has an extra 20-30mm of travel he usually shits himself. It's definitely not a nice feeling. The easy fix is to have the driver tap the pedal a couple times prior to the brake zone. It doesn't take much, you just need to move the pads back to the disc. The 'real' fix is to install stiffer anti knock-back springs, but everyone hates to do this because it definitely causes a little brake drag on the straights. It's never enough to actually see, but you know it must be there.

Laguna, Mosport and Road America are the 3 worst tracks I'm aware of for the problem.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
In my case its a high rpm full throttle lift and stab the brakes and I get a hard pedal but not much slowing.
I've had a similar thing (although much less predicable) happen into 10a at Road Atlanta. The car was a write-off.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Ya, get this one. It was a racecar with a kill switch that ran on the transmission tunnel. There was a cable that ran from the exterior kill switch to the interior one. There was a little fray on the end of that piece of cable that randomly grabbed the leg of the driver's suit. This shuts off the car which means no antilock brakes in a car that had bad hydraulic ratios, so instant lockup without the antilock active. He smoked the front tires all the way to the gravel and then started barrel rolling. He was fine, but the car was destroyed.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
From Watson or Trent/Crick?
Watson.

Who's Trent/Crick? Is that CMS? That's the only other roll bar for our cars that I know of.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Watson.

Who's Trent/Crick? Is that CMS? That's the only other roll bar for our cars that I know of.
Very Cool, I have the same one. I'm sure you know what your doing. here's a vid of my install if yu want some reference.

Trent and Crick are a fabricator/race mechanic team that are very well known in the mustang world. Their shops are next to each other at Sonoma Raceway and people bring their cars (Not just mustangs) from all over the place to have them serviced there. They've been making some cool roll cage options lately with custom colors, etc.

Trent used to be a race mechanic at AV8, Crick was a drift car builder before they both went independent.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very Cool, I have the same one. I'm sure you know what your doing. here's a vid of my install if yu want some reference.

Trent and Crick are a fabricator/race mechanic team that are very well known in the mustang world. Their shops are next to each other at Sonoma Raceway and people bring their cars (Not just mustangs) from all over the place to have them serviced there. They've been making some cool roll cage options lately with custom colors, etc.

Trent used to be a race mechanic at AV8, Crick was a drift car builder before they both went independent.
I found a video by LMR. Seems pretty straight forward but nothing is ever as simple as it seems so I appreciate your video link! I will definitely use yours as well.

The install should be fine but I really don't want to deal with putting the interior back in but I want to stay in street class for one last event with SuperGT Cup. After that, it's full gutted interior for NASA TT3

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Nice Eric. Drilling the holes is serious business, make sure you have a spare drill bit or two, and an extra dash of patience in your morning coffee. Worth the work though!
Sponsored