Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Another fun-filled weekend with the Super GT Cup folks at Buttonwillow!
Made some new friends, learned some new things, and went 4-off for the first time (and two more times after that.)

Not going to lie though, I was a bit disappointed in myself this weekend. I was hoping to get a 2:05 or even lower but I couldn't get passed a 2:07 all day long. After reviewing my video, I maneuvered around traffic and coasted at a few points so a 2:06 or maybe 2:05 is definitely possible. I got stuck behind the same guy on two different sessions. Feels like a lame excuse though, I should be able to get around him.
This was also one of my more sloppy track days as well. Lots of people going off and throwing dirt on the track (myself included) and it was the hottest track day I've ever done. 90° outside may not seem super hot to some but I try to avoid the really hot days. After lunch, I could only get a single hot lap in before my CHT temps were already at my comfortable limit.
I still took 5 seconds off my previous lap time so there's that. I'm aiming for that sub-2:00 club though. One day.

I may do one more track day in a couple weeks and then it's summer break for me. Lots of changes happening over summer. Steel brake lines, rear studs, boxed radiator, roll bar, partially-gutted interior, and lots of Racers360 and sim practice.

1620655899200-png.png

Some technical info for myself to look back on:
1. 91° ambient temps -> one hot lap -> 232 CHT (time to box radiator)
2. Had lots of oversteer at limit. Not sure if tires got greasy, tires are worn/cycled, or I need more rear camber. I'll likely re-align and add more camber anyway.
3. I think pads are getting worn. First hard brake of lap (sunrise) would have good bite but then coming into cotton corners, I would hit the brake pedal and there was no bite.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Still on the SC3? And which pads?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Good to know. I am gonna finish up my 12/10 from last year and had planned to try the ST43 but seems like there is a supply issue. Will go with 12/10 again. On SC3 as well. Interested to see how the R16/12 combo works for you

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. I am gonna finish up my 12/10 from last year and had planned to try the ST43 but seems like there is a supply issue. Will go with 12/10 again. On SC3 as well. Interested to see how the R16/12 combo works for you
I'll let you know my review when I get them and try them out

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Damn, Super disappointed that I missed the Super Gt Buttonwillow round. Too much work.

Keep up the progress.:like:

SlowStangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Awesome build thread! :)

QQ: How's your front and rear tire wear pattern with those camber settings?

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome build thread! :)

QQ: How's your front and rear tire wear pattern with those camber settings?
Thanks for reading!

As far as wear, rear is fine. Front could use a tad more camber. Definitely depends on the track though. Slower speed courses like Buttonwillow are pretty easy on front wear but Autoclub with that ~150mph banked left turn destroyed my outside front tire.

I'm certain I need more rear camber to counter the bit of oversteer I have, though.
I'm at 2.6 front and 1.1 rear. I think I'll go with 3.0 front and 1.8 - 2.0 rear

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Autoclub with that ~150mph banked left turn destroyed my outside front tire.

I'm certain I need more rear camber to counter the bit of oversteer I have, though.
I'm at 2.6 front and 1.1 rear. I think I'll go with 3.0 front and 1.8 - 2.0 rear
Do you Run that Camber Spec at Autoclub? I was wondering about taking some camber out when I go back.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you Run that Camber Spec at Autoclub? I was wondering about taking some camber out when I go back.
Hey Todd!
I don't change my camber uniquely per track. I like a universal "set-and-forget" style. Less work
I think for Autoclub, you ideally want more camber on the outside tire and less camber on the inside. And possibly extra toe on the outside front tire. I could be wrong here.
You basically setup the car for that one specific turn.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Not going to lie though, I was a bit disappointed in myself this weekend. I was hoping to get a 2:05 or even lower but I couldn't get passed a 2:07 all day long. After reviewing my video, I maneuvered around traffic and coasted at a few points so a 2:06 or maybe 2:05 is definitely possible.
Don't beat yourself up too badly. Laptimes at Buttonwillow always go into the toilet this time of year. If you started running at 6 AM, you might get an hour of decent track temperature, but there is dirt/sand everywhere. You just have to drive to the grip level and the lap time is what it is.

Different tires & different track, but I went from -1.2* rear camber to -2.0* and found a good bit of lateral support without hurting powerdown/wheelspin.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Hey Todd!
I don't change my camber uniquely per track. I like a universal "set-and-forget" style. Less work
I think for Autoclub, you ideally want more camber on the outside tire and less camber on the inside. And possibly extra toe on the outside front tire. I could be wrong here.
You basically setup the car for that one specific turn.
If you want to really get around that oval, you can put a significant amount of LF weight in the car (50-100# or 1-2 turns on a coil-over would be a reasonable starting point). It makes a significant difference in turning (& RF wear) for the left-handers and helps reduce wheelspin on low-speed exits of right-handers (albeit, with increased mid-corner understeer).

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not too worried about ACS as it's being torn down anyway. It was never my favorite track to begin with.
My most immediate goals though are sub 1:30 at WSIR and sub 2:00 at BW

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I'm not too worried about ACS as it's being torn down anyway. It was never my favorite track to begin with.
My most immediate goals though are sub 1:30 at WSIR and sub 2:00 at BW
The same advice is applicable at Big Willow. RF weight and staggered cambers are your friend. A reasonable starting point on staggered cambers is about 0.5* front and 0.3* rear. As long as you reduce the front and rear (on the RH side) cambers proportionally, you won't feel a handling difference left to right. You will give up ultimate grip in lefts, but the balance will be the same and RH inside shoulder wear will be much improved.
Sponsored