Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
In August I had the pleasure of attending the GT350 Mountain Run in Tennesse at the Tail of the Dragon. An amazing time put on by Steve of Red Mirror Events, and had over 100 Shelby's in attendance. One of those opportunities to meet so many people in real life that you talked to over the internet. I have always felt that somehow life will put in the right place at the right time. This was one of those moments.
GT350 Mountain Run 2021-079.jpg
GT350 Mountain Run 2021-077.jpg
GT350 Mountain Run 2021-005.jpg

While running up and down the Tail and several other legendary roads I got to meet Brian Bowers. Great dude who brought out his Iconic CFTP GT500, and is patiently waiting for his Python Hood. We exchanged a few words, mentioned conversing about a new set of wheels for the street, and I planned to catch up with him later to ogle over his car.
GT350 Mountain Run 2021-042.jpg
GT350 Mountain Run 2021-041.jpg

On the second day of the event there was some type of bad juju going on. We had one owner get pulled over, another gentleman lost his built motor, and sadly I found out Brian had damaged two of his driver side carbon wheels. The damage was bad enough that the fibers delaminated and one would not hold air. If any of you have been to the Tail Of The Dragon you know it is not really close to anything. After hearing about Brian's misfortune I started to come with a plan to help get him back on the road.
CFTP Wheel Damage-3.jpg
CFTP Wheel Damage-4.jpg
CFTP Wheel Damage-2.jpg
CFTP Wheel Damage-1.jpg

After some searching there were no used carbon wheels to be found. I would assume the blemished wheels being found on E-Bay are now being kept and painted gloss black for the CFHP cars. With the inability to find a carbon wheel and a fairly hefty cost, Brian and I got to work on sourcing him a set of Signature Wheels. Fortunately I had a client in Tennesse that recently sold his GT500 and had just recently asked me to help sell his old wheels. I made the couple hour drive to his house to check everything out and be sure the wheels were in good shape. Within a few days and for only a few grand we got Brian's car back on the road so he can keep enjoying his CFTP.
7F194639-8D67-4948-9D5C-EE06C4A440D7.jpeg

It was good to be able to help out two of my clients at the same time, and just be there at the right moment. I always felt like I could do more than just build wheels, and so that is the direction I want to keep Signature Wheel Going.
GT350 Mountain Run 2021-021.jpg
GT350 Mountain Run 2021-013.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hmm another great public service deed.

So let me understand this correctly.....

You attended an event and saw an opportunity to sell a set of wheels that another buyer didn't have a need for anymore. I imagine by then, the event was long over and all you did was convinced a guy he needed a set of street wheels.

I would assume the blemished wheels being found on E-Bay are now being kept and painted gloss black for the CFHP cars.
Nope. I buy them and refurbish them to new myself. If it is structural, then they go off to Frank at spyder.

So let me guess, the CFTP owners worst nightmare is CF wheel damage and the solution is to buy your aluminum wheels?

I beg the differ. I am doing everything I can to get away from your wheels and get back on the CF as the car was designed.

If you find yourself on the side of the road without a spare, then that person is responsible for their own actions.

I am happy to report that your SV801s are now off the car. I have a second set of blemished wheels that i repaired and i just say they look like they were never damaged.

The aluminum street wheel idea seemed good at the time. To be honest, all this hubbub about damaging CF wheels is a load of crap. Most can be fixed and all you need to have is a spare to keep you going for the time it takes to repair the wheel.

Your wheels on the other hand cannot be readily repaired. So many of your proprietary powder coats cannot be matched and once they are damaged, they will NEVER be the same. Aske me how I know. Your previous statements of " just send it off to your local powdercoater" is bonk.

Here is the real truth about these CF wheels. They can be fixed without great difficulty. Once I complete my 4 wheel set, I will do a 'how to" so that so many people are not scared into using their CF wheels on the street as the car was designed and intended to be used.

OP
OP
50 Deep

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

You attended an event and saw an opportunity to sell a set of wheels that another buyer didn't have a need for anymore. I imagine by then, the event was long over and all you did was convinced a guy he needed a set of street wheels.

Nope. I buy them and refurbish them to new myself. If it is structural, then they go off to Frank at spyder.

So let me guess, the CFTP owners worst nightmare is CF wheel damage and the solution is to buy your aluminum wheels?

I beg the differ. I am doing everything I can to get away from your wheels and get back on the CF as the car was designed.

If you find yourself on the side of the road without a spare, then that person is responsible for their own actions.

I am happy to report that your SV801s are now off the car. I have a second set of blemished wheels that i repaired and i just say they look like they were never damaged.

The aluminum street wheel idea seemed good at the time. To be honest, all this hubbub about damaging CF wheels is a load of crap. Most can be fixed and all you need to have is a spare to keep you going for the time it takes to repair the wheel.

Your wheels on the other hand cannot be readily repaired. So many of your proprietary powder coats cannot be matched and once they are damaged, they will NEVER be the same. Aske me how I know. Your previous statements of " just send it off to your local powdercoater" is bonk.

Here is the real truth about these CF wheels. They can be fixed without great difficulty. Once I complete my 4 wheel set, I will do a 'how to" so that so many people are not scared into using their CF wheels on the street as the car was designed and intended to be used.
I wish life was better for you Tom. You carry a lot of anger and its unfortunate. Always some conspiracy. Some alterior motive. People that know you have seen it more frequently. Sad to see really.

I hope you find the happiness you seek.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wish life was better for you Tom. You carry a lot of anger and its unfortunate. Always some conspiracy. Some alterior motive. People that know you have seen it more frequently. Sad to see really.

I hope you find the happiness you seek.
I am quite happy Terrence. The only thing I regret is buying into your whole aluminum wheel BS and throwing my name in to support it.

My opinions are based upon years of experience with both wheels.

Folks, if you are dead set on buying a set of aluminum Forged wheels, then signature is your wheel. My newly formed opinion is based upon refurbishing 4 CF wheels myself and also having to send the more serious damage off to spyder. Of the three I sent off to spyder, all have been repaired to new OEM.

The ebay ones I repaired? Let's just say the sellers wrote them off and I repaired them to like new condition.

Moral of the story, buying a 5k set of aluminum street wheels not only isn't the answer, but instead takes away from how the car was designed and intended to perform.

Don't take this personal T, it is my expert opinion based upon years and years of experience with both wheels.

You sell wheels, I get it.

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
What's the issue? You don't like his wheels because you couldn't powder coat them and now you post how they're not up to your impossible to meet standards? Sorry guess it's only good enough if it's OEM.

I normally don't care about shit people post because anyone can post whatever they want. However whenever I see a post with your name, its always about everyone being wrong and your big brown beaver being right.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

Uh, he found the guy a set of used Signature wheels and drove 2 hrs to go and check them out himself. Not the same as him coming on here and saying he sold the guy some new Signature wheels after his CF damage misfortune. Plus - he can't repair them at the Tail of the Dragon - he needed a set of wheels to get home.

There's nothing wrong with keeping with the factory CF wheels, I would do the same thing. To me a forged aluminum wheel is obviously a downgrade from the OEM CF wheels. But you seemingly bashing someone for making forged aluminum wheels is "bonk", as you say.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Uh, he found the guy a set of used Signature wheels and drove 2 hrs to go and check them out himself. Not the same as him coming on here and saying he sold the guy some new Signature wheels after his CF damage misfortune. Plus - he can't repair them at the Tail of the Dragon - he needed a set of wheels to get home.

There's nothing wrong with keeping with the factory CF wheels, I would do the same thing. To me a forged aluminum wheel is obviously a downgrade from the OEM CF wheels. But you seemingly bashing someone for making forged aluminum wheels is "bonk", as you say.
The bonk reference was pertainimg to a previous claim of how the aluminum wheels can be refinished. Ive been down that road, and no they can't, not to match factory powdercoat finishes. Curb or damage a wheel, and if you have one of those pretty powdercoat jobs, you are stuck. The only remedy is live with it or buy a new wheel.

Like I said, if you want an aluminum wheel, signatures are the ones to buy. But as I have learned, repairing a CF wheel is not a difficult process. As I said, once I find the last wheel I need, I will be doing a true public service and do a writeup on how to repair damage yourself. If all else fails, there is always spyder composites.

People with CF wheels should be using them. I was one of those people who was afraid of damaging them. If they are damaged, it is a simple process to get them repaired (either by doing it yourself or sending it out).

Sponsored

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
What the f is going on here? @Tomster why are you shitting on a thread that has nothing to do with you? Does this site have any moderators?

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Nah, Tomster is a good guy, and a huge contributor to this fourm. He always takes the time to help people. Atleast this has been my experience.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
What the f is going on here? Does this site have any moderators?
Yes, it does. And as somebody that moderates elsewhere, I wholeheartedly respect the fact that moderation here isn't heavy handed. This isn't twitter or facebook, thank God, and I respect the fact that you can say something that others may not like and not automatically have a given post erased.

In a perfect world we would always agree with each other. I don't want to live in that world and am glad that we still have some Constitutional protections with respect to speech. The moderators here do a good job of letting things sort themselves out but intervene when they don't.

As for my thoughts on wheel types or materials, I like magnesium.
Sponsored