You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
It's a little surprising how many PM's, texts or phone calls I get, from many different people, about some of the things said on this forum. I'm sure I am not alone. Then again, I guess I really am not surprised, lol.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t even care , I’m here for the cars. Not the drama . If needed insert a tampon and wait to post until your mancycle is over .
Agreed, life is full of drama, I come here to escape it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
or maybe knock some sense into the driver that rubber-band tires is a bad idea for street use regardless of wheel material/construction?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So OP , What was the cause of the CF wheel damage ? Just wondering if it was like a minor pothole so to speak or a giant one where significant damage would be expected.
I was there... it was a freak accident pulling out of a look out site.... all of those pull over spots in TN have landscape/rough rock curb entries... noting is smooth or poured concrete.. he misjudged his turn out and curbed the front and rear wheel. The CF was torn away from the wheels and the front looked like the cf punctured the rubber or the seal was gone.... either way it was a terrible thing to happen as the owner of the GT500 is a terrific guy.

Last edited:

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I was there... it was a freak accident pulling out of a look out site.... all of those pull over spots in TN have landscape/rough rock curb entries... noting is smooth or poured concrete.. he misjudged his turn out and curbed the front and rear wheel. The CF was torn away from the wheels and the front looked like the cf punctured the rubber or the seal was gone.... either way it was a terrible thing to happen as the GT500 is a terrific guy.

Yikes, thanks . I definitely clench my B-hole when parking my CFTP

koldrid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT500
Not to lie, I like the look of the Signature Wheel setup. I might have to look at getting a set.

Sponsored

misuracaf10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP
The bonk reference was pertainimg to a previous claim of how the aluminum wheels can be refinished. Ive been down that road, and no they can't, not to match factory powdercoat finishes. Curb or damage a wheel, and if you have one of those pretty powdercoat jobs, you are stuck. The only remedy is live with it or buy a new wheel.

Like I said, if you want an aluminum wheel, signatures are the ones to buy. But as I have learned, repairing a CF wheel is not a difficult process. As I said, once I find the last wheel I need, I will be doing a true public service and do a writeup on how to repair damage yourself. If all else fails, there is always spyder composites.

People with CF wheels should be using them. I was one of those people who was afraid of damaging them. If they are damaged, it is a simple process to get them repaired (either by doing it yourself or sending it out).
a video on how they can be repaired would be very helpful. I unfortunately had an issue with my front CF wheel. a rock got caught in between the caliper and barrel and damaged the wheel slightly enough to cause it to leak air. I feel this shouldn't happen with such an expensive piece of equipment. These tires are so sticky they pick up everything on the road and shoot them through the wheel well. I would say what happened to me is uncommon, and was disappointed it wasn't covered by warranty. My dealer did help me and sold me the wheel for $4400 as they originally thought it would be a warranty claim as well. My next step is to contact Spyder Composites but they have been slow to respond. After the repair im not sure whether i will keep the wheel or sell it. i could probably get my money back for it? but we shal see.

If anyone wants to see pics of the incident i can post them as well

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
a video on how they can be repaired would be very helpful. I unfortunately had an issue with my front CF wheel. a rock got caught in between the caliper and barrel and damaged the wheel slightly enough to cause it to leak air. I feel this shouldn't happen
It's common enough and a direct consequence of bad engineering. Someone in a cubical didn't bother to step outside and look at the ground. It absolutely is a warranty claim but Ford would lose their ass if they honored it. So they stuff you instead.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Mighty sorry about your wheel incident Frank, I think about it virtually every time I drive the car. My area of south Texas always puts LOTS of gravel in their asphalt.

I'd bet you'll get some offers though and, the reason I'm seriously looking at getting a set of aluminum before it happens to me. The cost of your replacement wheel is almost enough for a set.

My question is, did Ford have a touchless and did they mount the old tire on the new wheel? I don't THINK the store I use has one but I can't swear to it.

misuracaf10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP
Mighty sorry about your wheel incident Frank, I think about it virtually every time I drive the car. My area of south Texas always puts LOTS of gravel in their asphalt.

I'd bet you'll get some offers though and, the reason I'm seriously looking at getting a set of aluminum before it happens to me. The cost of your replacement wheel is almost enough for a set.

My question is, did Ford have a touchless and did they mount the old tire on the new wheel? I don't THINK the store I use has one but I can't swear to it.
im not sure if they did, but at my dealership I met the gentleman who was working on the car. Service Manager was confident he could do the work with no problems. The tech was trained to Service the Ford GT, which has CF wheels also. He is the only guy who would be working on the gt500. He changed my wheel and tire without any issue or damage. I did speak to Carbon revolution about the tire changing process, they said a touchless machine is not necessary if done carefully, but obviously that machine helps. I did find companies near me that have a touchless machine. The way i found them was contacting Hunter directly, I asked for a regional rep and they told me the names of the places that have Hunter Revolution Tire changers. I personally think this is the best route to find this type of machine in your area instead of calling around store to store like I did before I called hunter direct.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
a video on how they can be repaired would be very helpful. I unfortunately had an issue with my front CF wheel. a rock got caught in between the caliper and barrel and damaged the wheel slightly enough to cause it to leak air. I feel this shouldn't happen with such an expensive piece of equipment. These tires are so sticky they pick up everything on the road and shoot them through the wheel well. I would say what happened to me is uncommon, and was disappointed it wasn't covered by warranty. My dealer did help me and sold me the wheel for $4400 as they originally thought it would be a warranty claim as well. My next step is to contact Spyder Composites but they have been slow to respond. After the repair im not sure whether i will keep the wheel or sell it. i could probably get my money back for it? but we shal see.

If anyone wants to see pics of the incident i can post them as well
Frank is swamped. The wheel can be repaired. Get it fixed and keep it as a spare should it happen again. Its not a big deal, but due to covid, frank is understaffed and he's doing the best he can.
Sponsored