Engine/Transmission Plate Noise FIX!

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
I'm happy to announce a quick, cheap, non-invasive fix for those who have issues with the Engine/Transmission plate rattle. For those unfamiliar with the noise, which occurs ≥ 4k RPM. It comes from outside of the car and sounds like a high pitched tinny rattle when the car is warm, not cold or hot. (Think plastic bag out the window at 100mph)

Bottom Line Up Front: Apply Dynamat to the exposed surface area of the engine/transmission plate. I used 4 layers cut out to match the shape of the area.

I know many of you have struggled with dealers to get them to find the noise. In some cases resulting in lemoning the car because of the inability to determine the issue. And even if they find the noise then having your new car's drivetrain torn apart to replace a simple plate.

I was going to try three fixes: 1. Try applying rubber washers on the nuts securing the plate. 2. Try RTV on the lower portion of the plate to prevent potential rattling. 3. Apply Dynamat to the exposed surface area of the plate.

Fix 1 was not attempted due to my belief that it would only isolate part of the plate. Fix 2 was not attempted as I found that Ford already applied a dampening suede material there so I did not attempt this fix. Left with Fix 3, I made a template of the exposed surface area of the engine/transmission plate then trimmed 4 pieces of Dynamat. Adhered the 4 pieces together then adhered the solid piece to the plate.

Why does Dynamat fix this rattle? Dynamat is a sound dampening material. It converts vibration into heat just like the dampeners on our exhaust. Since the noise we hear is the plate vibrating and creating an audible noise like a speaker, Dynamat absorbs the vibrations.

The car didn't make the noise on my morning and evening commute. My only unknown at this point is the longevity of the fix, Dynamat is a butyl adhesive with a layer of thin aluminum. I am unsure of how it will hold up in this application exposed to high heat.
Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Are you referring to the plastic underbody shield under the engine and transmission? I haven't noticed this on mine but thanks for posting in case it crops up in the future.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Please tell us more about this problem and picture of where the issue is.

thanks

CVCashmere

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And to be honest, I'm not sure where this plate is either. Nobody ever made a recording of this sound or posted a picture in the thread I linked to.

Sponsored

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I think I may have this rattle as well. Can you please post a picture of your work.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Engine/transmission plate? Seriously, wtf are you talking about?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I see "flex plate" mentioned in the thread you linked. Flex plate....that's automatic transmission nomenclature. If it's a heat shield as I believe you mentioned, that is something entirely different than an engine/transmission "plate."

The aluminum plate sandwiched between the rear of the block and the front flange (or bell) face of the transmission was mentioned as well. That plate is under quite a bit of compression when the transmission is bolted to the engine, on an engine that uses one anyway. Doesn't make sense that it could or would generate any type of audible frequency unless the transmission to engine bolts were all backed off quite a bit. At that point you'd have a much larger issue on your hands.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yes, inquiring minds want to know. Photos please from the OP

Sponsored
OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Here is a picture of the engine/transmission "sandwich" plate. The largest surface area of this plate is what covers the lower portion of the bell housing.
IMG_20190101_125251.jpg

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Here is a picture of the engine/transmission "sandwich" plate. The largest surface area of this plate is what covers the lower portion of the bell housing.
IMG_20190101_125251.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I see - sort of like the block protection plate on an explosion proof bellhousing or a clutch inspection plate on an older transmission.

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
waking this thread back up. Anyone have pics of the fix for this? (post dynamat)

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It boggles my mind how that thing can possibly rattle around that much unless A LOT of bolts were extremely loose, and in which case, like Tob said, you'd have other known issues. I'm perplexed since we know this has been replaced and fix rattle problems, but my mind does not compute....
Sponsored