Sponsored

Engine Tick Preventive Measures

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
The full power is using 91 octane, in the western half of the US that's all we have. Would be silly to gimp a car for half the country by specing for 93.
I don't want to enter into a forum war with you, but your not hitting the 27.5 degrees of timing advance on 91, and the 460 hp spec is on 93. I even have the picture confirming it
If you search enough online you will find out by yourself, but its totally fine running on 91

I just spoke for the jackass spreading stuff that the gen3 runs on 87 and is made for regular, thats just stupid and misinformation. Your knock sensor will work like crazy and you can indeed damage something in the long-term. Its not going to go boom on startup
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't want to enter into a forum war with you, but your not hitting the 27.5 degrees of timing advance on 91, and the 460 hp spec is on 93. I even have the picture confirming it
If you search enough online you will find out by yourself, but its totally fine running on 91

I just spoke for the jackass spreading stuff that the gen3 runs on 87 and is made for regular, thats just stupid and misinformation. Your knock sensor will work like crazy and you can indeed damage something in the long-term. Its not going to go boom on startup
Okay that's fair, I was just going off what my owner's manual said, there was no mention of 93. But I'll look into it. But I agree that running 87 is stupid on a 12:1 motor.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Lol at everyone using 5w50, and you wonder why your engine is ticking. My bad
Engine of todays standard are becoming tighter clearance more and more. Using 5w50 weight into a motor thats not made for it, can only create you problem
OK, calm down. One member mentioned he used 5W-50. He wasn't recommending it just stating he used it which is his right.

And i blame every clown using anything under 93 octane into a gen3, its a 12+ compression engine. Stop cheaping out and then cry like babies because your motor most likely knocked
It was built to run on 93, the 460 hp is on 93. Simple as that. And anything under 91 = possible damage, Knock sensor yes theyre active. Saving your engine WOT at 40 degrees outside ? If your on 87 im not too sure about that. Think about it
Thank you for bringing up a topic that has beat to death a thousand times on this forum. The tick has 0% to do with octane. There are members on this forum that use 87 without the tick and those you use 93 that do.

Oh yeah, no name calling. It's totally uncalled for.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Okay that's fair, I was just going off what my owner's manual said, there was no mention of 93. But I'll look into it. But I agree that running 87 is stupid on a 12:1 motor.
ice445 you are correct and Helios is just puffing out his chest with his holier than thou attitude. All this compression ratio/ timing stuff is BS. Todays engine management systems can handle a wide range of octanes will no ill effects. If you owners manual says you can run 87, you can period. Now are you going to get max performance & HP with 87? No, Ford states that too. If your going to the strip or racetrack should you use 87? Common sense say, no , of course not. But for day to day regular driving no problem.

By the way, I use 93. Why? Because I want too.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Just drive it. I changed my oil and filter at 2,800 miles and used A Motorcraft filter and 5W-20 synthetic blend.

No noises. No worries.

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Tell us how you really feel. :)

I'm sure you know that those of us that are supercharged are using 5w50, so your statement is not entirely true.

I do agree about using the 93 octane.......but realize that half of the country doesn't have anything over 91 octane.

Engine of todays standard are becoming tighter clearance more and more. Using 5w50 weight into a motor thats not made for it, can only create you problem

The synthetic are exceeding oem specs, you don't need anything too viscous. You need great cleansing agents and good startup flow
I run pennzoil syntec into all my cars, never had tick or any engine drinking oil or broken. Am i touching wood ? I don't know but i do beat my car everytime i take em out and no issues. You can try to hear the tick from my axle your head on the fender whatsoever you will never hear anything.

And i blame every clown using anything under 93 octane into a gen3, its a 12+ compression engine. Stop cheaping out and then cry like babies because your motor most likely knocked
It was built to run on 93, the 460 hp is on 93. Simple as that. And anything under 91 = possible damage, Knock sensor yes theyre active. Saving your engine WOT at 40 degrees outside ? If your on 87 im not too sure about that. Think about it

Drunk3nLlama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT

The synthetic are exceeding oem specs, you don't need anything too viscous. You need great cleansing agents and good startup flow
I run pennzoil syntec into all my cars, never had tick or any engine drinking oil or broken. Am i touching wood ? I don't know but i do beat my car everytime i take em out and no issues. You can try to hear the tick from my axle your head on the fender whatsoever you will never hear anything.

3wmaxs.jpg

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Use 5w50 if you want, for my part i never broke an engine so im gonna keep my way of doing things.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What tick? 5w20 since day one.

Sponsored

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Not interested in wasting time, effort, money on placebos.

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt/cs ,2004 Mustang Mach1, 1984 mustang gt 350
just changed oil to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 and Liqui Moly Ceratec Friction Modifier
and the tick is still gone.

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
just changed oil to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 and Liqui Moly Ceratec Friction Modifier
and the tick is still gone.
That oil is literally the best thing existing on the market, Keeps an engine so clean you'd think its polished inside.
There is a 7 sec stock-block running big turbos on pennzoil, it made its proof really

When im flushing my motorcraft oem im jumping to penn aswell

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It's your car, do what you want. But you shouldn't be recommending it to others.
Ford Performance are using 5w50 for the Racing School Mustangs and this cars are driven hard every day I doubt it will cause any issues.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Ford Performance are using 5w50 for the Racing School Mustangs and this cars are driven hard every day I doubt it will cause any issues.
You have a case of “selective reading”. I also said this, “Everyone has a brand of their choice but I just did not remember anyone using 5w-50 except for maybe road racers.”

There are instances where 5w-50 is called for but not for day to day driving.
Sponsored