Sponsored

Engine is done/seized - 2019 Bullitt

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Maybe 'win' isn't the right word to describe it, but look at it this way: after 20K kilometres of pure fun, you'll now receive a free "reset", a free fresh start. You'll have a new engine again, free of charge. Your car will be 20K kilometres younger.
And having already suffered an odd, very rare failure, I'm pretty sure that the new engine won't fail again. Lightning doesn't strike twice.
Actually one guy was struck like 3 times. Think that's the record.
Sponsored

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Small Update

The intake manifold (wrongly delivered to the wrong shop...) arrived, the new engine has been assembled and installed... and started.
They have to complete the installation, doing the tests and my Mustang should back to me next week as planned. Further updates on Monday.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
As the man from CJ Pony Parts says: ā€œYouā€™ll be back on the road in no time.ā€
Yeah for a euro fix it all seems to have gone really quickly and smoothly :sunglasses:

WD :like:

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yeah for a euro fix it all seems to have gone really quickly and smoothly :sunglasses:

WD :like:
Sounds like it was fixed at warp speed, which is good for the OP. I know heā€™s ready to get his car back and resume enjoying it.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Update:

Will collect the car back tomorrow morning (May 19th).
Since the issue (happened April 27th) they took exactly 3 weeks (15 working days) for the inspection, engine delivery and swap. It could have been shorter if there wasn't the delay with the manifold shipment.

They didn't provided additional information about the issue beside what I know already: a piston cracked, crankshaft gone because of it, engine done. I will try to collect more info (or even pictures) on the site, if possible (don't count on it).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update:

Will collect the car back tomorrow morning (May 19th).
Since the issue (happened April 27th) they took exactly 3 weeks (15 working days) for the inspection, engine delivery and swap. It could have been shorter if there wasn't the delay with the manifold shipment.

They didn't provided additional information about the issue beside what I know already: a piston cracked, crankshaft gone because of it, engine done. I will try to collect more info (or even pictures) on the site, if possible (don't count on it).
Make sure that new engine registers oil on the dipstick before you even start it up. There was just a thread in the GT350 forum of another M6G member getting his GT350 back from a trans service. They were supposed to do an engine oil change as well. After getting home, Owner checked things and found the Service Center only put back 6Qts in a 10Qt system - and that engine dipstick read absolutely nothing....

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Make sure that new engine registers oil on the dipstick before you even start it up.
I doubt I will the first to start it up, since they swapped the whole engine... and driven it the whole day (today) for testing! :)

Sponsored
OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Update:

Got my car back today (hurra!), so it respected the times mentioned in the previous post.
I can't drive it! It's incredible how just 3 weeks completely ruined my feel (especially because I was driving another car), I'm sure will get it back in few days.

I have further details about the damage (but not of why it happened) and it changes the things a bit:

the piston (or eventually two) got cracked, but that wasn't the source of the damage, it got cracked because the crankshaft bushes seized up, this caused the connecting rod to cause the damage to the piston(s).

It's unclear of why it happened, the engineer said it's usually because of lack of lubrification, but the oil was there and the pump was correctly working (it hasn't been changed). He said that the outcome will come after Ford's inspection, but I may never know the root cause.

I can confirm there's pictures and we may have agreed to have some, so if I'll collect them, it'll be OK to post.

I've been invited to not push it much for the first 1000km or such (I don't think I will have the patience) and I will have the inspection after 5000Km. They provided the documentation of "new engine installed", now this is bad or good depending of where you see it: the engine has 20,000Km less, but has been swapped, for a very old car it can increase the resell value, for a such young car it could be the opposite.

Now it must be because i didn't driven it for 3 weeks, I don't know, but it really feel different: it feels a lot more "regular" than before, no acceleration gasps or hesitations while controlling the acceleration. The engine noise (hood open) is also reduced, I hear less "ticks" and the "sleepy" classic V8 sound (maybe it's because everything is tight now and there's less vibrations).

Will post the pictures of the broken engine when/if I'll get them.

PS: I have a CRAZY story about the air filter. They wanted to change it, asked Ford Italy, and they told em that they couldn't supply the filter only, but THE WHOLE AIRBOX and THROTTLE BODY! They asked 600ā‚¬ for it, the shop didn't even asked to me, because of the craziness. I'm now contacting Ford Spain to check with them what's going on.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
PS: I have a CRAZY story about the air filter. They wanted to change it, asked Ford Italy, and they told em that they couldn't supply the filter only, but THE WHOLE AIRBOX and THROTTLE BODY! They asked 600ā‚¬ for it, the shop didn't even asked to me, because of the craziness. I'm now contacting Ford Spain to check with them what's going on.
What? :crazy:
The filter is available separately. Motorcraft FA-1918, product code FR3Z-9601-A.

Edit: sorry, I forgot you've got a Bullitt. I believe your air filter is different from a regular GT. It's a conical one, isn't it? I don't know the code for that.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Yes, it is the same filter used in the GT350.
The odd part is not that isn't available as spare part (I know it is, at least in the USA), but that Ford Italy said it's not...!
I can buy it from a third party... but I wanna know why Ford doesn't supply it, makes no sense.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Congratulations on getting your Bullitt back! I can only imagine how excited you must be. Iā€™m a little confused as to why Ford didnā€™t grant the techs didnā€™t authorization to change your air filter too, given that the new intake manifold was authorized. Could Ford nave thought that it was possible that fine metal particles were regurgitated from the engine into the IM, thus necessitating the need for the new IM?

Just for peace of mind, maybe you could ask the techs if they cleaned the CAI tube and MAF sensor and housing with MAF cleaner. If not, itā€™s easy enough to purchase a can from your local auto parts store and do it yourself.

OP
OP

npole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt 2019
Just for peace of mind, maybe you could ask the techs if they cleaned the CAI tube and MAF sensor and housing with MAF cleaner. If not, itā€™s easy enough to purchase a can from your local auto parts store and do it yourself.
Yes they did, and cleaned the filter as well. It's just they wanted to change it, considering the (supposed) low amount (I would have paid for it) and then realized that Ford doesn't even sell it if not for the whole piece for 600ā‚¬.
Sponsored