Sponsored

Engine Differences of the 350R

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Having read the article "Building the Voodoo 5.2 Engine" ,& a thank you to Muligan & Zitrosounds for posting the story link a couple of questions come to mind. The unique lash adjusters, are they the result of the VCT (variable cam timing) ? Would imagine that the 350 has VCT also & wonder if the R's have a more advanced VCT for the purpose of most likely running higher RPM's @ the track? In theory would'n t this create more HP?

I did go out & pop off the cover & found the label on the driver side only that was mentioned. Does the non-R 350 carry a different label? TIA Always interested in learning more about these machines!
IMG_0254.jpg
Sponsored

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
Go ahead and post this in the other thread, yes I am trying to find what all the data means as well as find out if there are really any differences between the two. My Gut says no, that this is just for data tracking info.

I would like to see some non R labels,

if there were any changed in the lash adusters it would not create any more HP, It would increase the Max HP rating by 7-10 hp thats it.

post pic in this thread
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350-r-engine-build-date-codes.117482/#post-2467425

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Numerous folks with standard vs R’s have said the R’s seem to be able to pull away. I’ve run with plenty of standard 350’s and have not experienced this although, we never tried to see if there was a difference in stock to stock engine performance. I think there’s more of a handling difference than anything.

GT350-H6088

Mustang with a Mouth
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 (H6088) RR Black stripes/white p
Numerous folks with standard vs R’s have said the R’s seem to be able to pull away. I’ve run with plenty of standard 350’s and have not experienced this although, we never tried to see if there was a difference in stock to stock engine performance. I think there’s more of a handling difference than anything.
So far only differences between the GT350 and GT350R motors are Stock and Data Numbers as far as internals I can't find any information
stating this. The "R" is faster because of weight reduction.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
So far only differences between the GT350 and GT350R motors are Stock and Data Numbers as far as internals I can't find any information
stating this. The "R" is faster because of weight reduction.
It’s already been established that some internals are different. It took a while to discover those; there may be others too.

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
What people fail to realize is the R
1) has a smaller diameter wheel which is the same as adding lower rear gears to a certain effect.
2) the R has less weight overall and the wheels are lighter.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
It’s already been established that some internals are different. It took a while to discover those; there may be others too.
Jesus this myth will never end.
Nothing is different in any voodoo engine.
It’s bad journalism that’s it.
Nothing is different inside or out.

The only difference between non R and R
Are.
1) wheels and tires.
2) no resonators.
3) struts and shocks.
4) .062 larger rear sway bar.
5) magneride programming.
6) red caliper, stitching, stripe, seat delete, splitter, spoiler,

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Jesus this myth will never end.
Nothing is different in any voodoo engine.
It’s bad journalism that’s it.
Nothing is different inside or out.

The only difference between non R and R
Are.
1) wheels and tires.
2) no resonators.
3) struts and shocks.
4) .062 larger rear sway bar.
5) magneride programming.
6) red caliper, stitching, stripe, seat delete, splitter, spoiler,
What people fail to realize is the R
1) has a smaller diameter wheel which is the same as adding lower rear gears to a certain effect.
2) the R has less weight overall and the wheels are lighter.
I don’t think anyone fails to realize the R is lighter.

There’s a fordnxt article around somewhere that outlines some engine differences. Have you tore down two engines side by side? If you have, please share your thoughts.

They have diff model numbers, maybe that’s just for book keeping who knows.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I don’t think anyone fails to realize the R is lighter.

There’s a fordnxt article around somewhere that outlines some engine differences. Have you tore down two engines side by side? If you have, please share your thoughts.

They have diff model numbers, maybe that’s just for book keeping who knows.
This is my second gt350.
My first was a early 2016 track pack.
Working closely with ford parts department and ford performance shows absolutely no different between any voodoos between R and non R.
I know the article you’re speaking of.
Steve is falsely stating the engines are different and they absolutely are not different.
You really think that ford is adding better parts in the R compared to the non R?
Think about that.
More non R’s are on the track.
Some R’s have replaced engines. I personally know of at least 4 of them in my area. 2 of which ford bought back.
If the R is different, why wouldn’t they even replace the opg to billet?

None of the voodoos are different between the two cars. This is ridiculous thinking and Steve is a bad reporter for saying so.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
This is my second gt350.
My first was a early 2016 track pack.
Working closely with ford parts department and ford performance shows absolutely no different between any voodoos between R and non R.
I know the article you’re speaking of.
Steve is falsely stating the engines are different and they absolutely are not different.
You really think that ford is adding better parts in the R compared to the non R?
Think about that.
More non R’s are on the track.
Some R’s have replaced engines. I personally know of at least 4 of them in my area. 2 of which ford bought back.
If the R is different, why wouldn’t they even replace the opg to billet?

None of the voodoos are different between the two cars. This is ridiculous thinking and Steve is a bad reporter for saying so.
Lol I’m going to need more than “he’s a bad person”. What was his motivation for out right lying about this?

I also think your trying to make a logical argument for an illogical concept. -Of course I can believe the R is upgraded, it’s the upgraded R version of the car and is in and of itself, an upgrade. It cost more, has obvious upgrades in other areas and is more track oriented. Of course there are fewer R’s at the track, they made only a fraction of them.

I’m not even saying you’re wrong, but what I have is published and generally accepted source of info on the subject. You’re coming in saying something different but I don’t see any credibility in what you’ve said so far. Sorry.

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Lol I’m going to need more than “he’s a bad person”. What was his motivation for out right lying about this?

I also think your trying to make a logical argument for an illogical concept. -Of course I can believe the R is upgraded, it’s the upgraded R version of the car and is in and of itself, an upgrade. It cost more, has obvious upgrades in other areas and is more track oriented. Of course there are fewer R’s at the track, they made only a fraction of them.

I’m not even saying you’re wrong, but what I have is published and generally accepted source of info on the subject. You’re coming in saying something different but I don’t see any credibility in what you’ve said so far. Sorry.
How long you been following / owning this car?
Have you done any self research?
Check for yourself if you don’t believe me.
Have you checked part numbers between the two models of gt350’s?
Do you believe everything you read that is written in a article?
Why would the R’s engine have any difference?
Why would ford upgrade the R’s engine and not the oil pump gear, valve springs?
Why would we be seeing blown R engines if they are more upgraded?
Why would they build a better R engine if more non R’s are on the track?
If the R is a better engine or has improvements why would “Ford” not mention it?

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
How long you been following / owning this car?
Have you done any self research?
Check for yourself if you don’t believe me.
Have you checked part numbers between the two models of gt350’s?
Do you believe everything you read that is written in a article?
Why would the R’s engine have any difference?
Why would ford upgrade the R’s engine and not the oil pump gear, valve springs?
Why would we be seeing blown R engines if they are more upgraded?
Why would they build a better R engine if more non R’s are on the track?
If the R is a better engine or has improvements why would “Ford” not mention it?
Lol bro I’m just going to leave it right here and step away slowly.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Lol bro I’m just going to leave it right here and step away slowly.
All I’m saying is you keep defending the article you’re referring to.
And I’m telling you from 3 years of research that nothing proves the article as true.
A simple part number check proves their is no difference between the engines. As I said, if they are different why wouldn’t ford say so. They tell you everything else that’s different between the car. Why would they keep silent if the engine was different.

jgt77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R, 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Have any of you watched YouTube videos by "Shelby Exotics"?
He owns 2-3 GT350R's and races frequently, He blew an engine in his black "R"
and did a buy back by Ford after he fought with them. The engine block castings
have the vin# stamped in them and ,believe it or not, the Ford dealership discovered that the long block in the R is different than the base Shelby,
This was determined when Ford had originally offered a replacement motor only under warranty.
Once discovered that the replacement block was different and also would NOT have the Vin # in the casting Ford then agreed to buy the entire car back.
This guy (Shelby Exotics) is for real and has big sponsorships on YouTube and has an abundance of videos.
If you have time check it out.
I own an R and it doesn't matter to me if they are the same or not.
I just thought that I would post this since I have watched practically every Shelby GT350R video out there to get as much info and familiarity that I can about the car I love,

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Have any of you watched YouTube videos by "Shelby Exotics"?
He owns 2-3 GT350R's and races frequently, He blew an engine in his black "R"
and did a buy back by Ford after he fought with them. The engine block castings
have the vin# stamped in them and ,believe it or not, the Ford dealership discovered that the long block in the R is different than the base Shelby,
This was determined when Ford had originally offered a replacement motor only under warranty.
Once discovered that the replacement block was different and also would NOT have the Vin # in the casting Ford then agreed to buy the entire car back.
This guy (Shelby Exotics) is for real and has big sponsorships on YouTube and has an abundance of videos.
If you have time check it out.
I own an R and it doesn't matter to me if they are the same or not.
I just thought that I would post this since I have watched practically every Shelby GT350R video out there to get as much info and familiarity that I can about the car I love,
He is a nut job. It is evident in his videos. It's kind of funny how such a great race car driver somehow figures out a way to spin out on an entry level race course driving a car in sport mode.

I guess you didn't see his big track attack mecca video.

Oh well. Classic guy with lots of money and no common sense. It's evident by the idiots around him.
Sponsored