Sponsored

Edelbrock E-Force Troubleshooting Manual

plasmid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sorry for the long post.

So yesterday I went out to do a WOT pull to 5000rpm as requested by Lund. Car is still limited to 5K.

First time I've driven the car 'spiritedly'. It's the first time I've ever been in a supercharged car let alone driven one! The bloody thing pulls like a freight train!!

However I'm already in panic mode. I'm probably worried about nothing. I'm not sure I can describe it and I presume supercharging changes how the car behaves, puts extra stress on parts and creates extra noises.

When I accelerate somewhat hard ( I'm trying not to push it obviously) it just sounds violent! I can't work out if it's intake noise (Stock CAI) or header noise (longtubes) or a physical creaking or groaning sound.

I've had a quick look at the logs and they look good to me. No knock. Fuel trims look good. But I'm no expert.

I'm fairly certain there is nothing hitting anything. I've had a look at the exhaust, I've checked engine mounts.

I hope that makes sense...
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the long post.

So yesterday I went out to do a WOT pull to 5000rpm as requested by Lund. Car is still limited to 5K.

First time I've driven the car 'spiritedly'. It's the first time I've ever been in a supercharged car let alone driven one! The bloody thing pulls like a freight train!!

However I'm already in panic mode. I'm probably worried about nothing. I'm not sure I can describe it and I presume supercharging changes how the car behaves, puts extra stress on parts and creates extra noises.

When I accelerate somewhat hard ( I'm trying not to push it obviously) it just sounds violent! I can't work out if it's intake noise (Stock CAI) or header noise (longtubes) or a physical creaking or groaning sound.

I've had a quick look at the logs and they look good to me. No knock. Fuel trims look good. But I'm no expert.

I'm fairly certain there is nothing hitting anything. I've had a look at the exhaust, I've checked engine mounts.

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed any new noises but I also have an exhaust system that dominates every part of the WOT experience...
If you have any concerns re logs, you can upload them to Datazap.me and share them here.
Lund have a fast turnaround time though and I’ll almost 100% guarantee that they haven’t put the vehicle in any jeopardy. It’s just not how they do business.
Also, regarding panic mode:
I’m cool with skids at about 60-70mph but when my car decided to start breaking traction near the top of 4th (~120mph), I shat pretty hard. :shock::whew:

wsfrazier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 M6 401a
As someone with stock exhaust still, I don't really notice anything at WOT. If I have the hood open at idle and listen, I can hear the blower making a little bit of noise. Almost like a knock, but it's hard to tell it from the HPFP and injector noise.

Just driving around normal, at part throttle I can sometimes hear and mechanical/bearing type noise, but I assume that it's the bypass opening/closing and rotor noise passing through. Also sometimes here the occasional belt creaking noise.

plasmid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Can’t say I’ve ever noticed any new noises but I also have an exhaust system that dominates every part of the WOT experience...
If you have any concerns re logs, you can upload them to Datazap.me and share them here.
Lund have a fast turnaround time though and I’ll almost 100% guarantee that they haven’t put the vehicle in any jeopardy. It’s just not how they do business.
Also, regarding panic mode:
I’m cool with skids at about 60-70mph but when my car decided to start breaking traction near the top of 4th (~120mph), I shat pretty hard. :shock::whew:
Hey thanks Burkey.

I just went out and just drove around and logged it. I've attached the datazap link.

The chart generated from datazap seems slightly different to the Live link one. On live link I was getting max knock of +2. Not sure how much knock is bad knock.

https://datazap.me/u/plasmid/mustang?log=0&data=1-28&mark=6421

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey thanks Burkey.

I just went out and just drove around and logged it. I've attached the datazap link.

The chart generated from datazap seems slightly different to the Live link one. On live link I was getting max knock of +2. Not sure how much knock is bad knock.

https://datazap.me/u/plasmid/mustang?log=0&data=1-28&mark=6421
I took a quick look and I can’t find any WOT in the log (might have skipped past it by accident).
Did you go WOT at any point?

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry for the long post.

Headers typically do not have any flex connections. This is probably see of the noise you hear

plasmid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

matwgood

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2013 Ford F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum
What is everybody seeing for IAT's? I am consistently seeing 30 degree's above ambient. This is the case if I am getting on it or if I am just cruising down the highway at 80 mph. I think I might have a small leak somewhere in the intercooler plumbing. I have noticed a couple of drops of coolant every so often and its not really consistent. I am going to take off the front bumper/splash shield just to verify everything is connected and tight. I am sure if I do have a leak that is introducing air into the system. I just wanted to see what people are seeing with theirs and what I should be expecting.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
What is everybody seeing for IAT's? I am consistently seeing 30 degree's above ambient. This is the case if I am getting on it or if I am just cruising down the highway at 80 mph. I think I might have a small leak somewhere in the intercooler plumbing. I have noticed a couple of drops of coolant every so often and its not really consistent. I am going to take off the front bumper/splash shield just to verify everything is connected and tight. I am sure if I do have a leak that is introducing air into the system. I just wanted to see what people are seeing with theirs and what I should be expecting.
99% chance it is your intercooler overflow/fill tank. They are crappy blow molded plastic. Edelbrock sent me a warranty replacement no questions asked . I’m in the middle of researching a replacement tank . I have an email in to FIGS Engineering. They have a nice ( and expensive replacement, but not sure if we can adapt to our setup. Anyone else find a good alternative?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
99% chance it is your intercooler overflow/fill tank. They are crappy blow molded plastic. Edelbrock sent me a warranty replacement no questions asked . I’m in the middle of researching a replacement tank . I have an email in to FIGS Engineering. They have a nice ( and expensive replacement, but not sure if we can adapt to our setup. Anyone else find a good alternative?
PNR half moon and Watson racing tank kit.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
PNR half moon and Watson racing tank kit.
Now that I see that for 400 dollars I think I'll just see if PNR is willing to make a higher capacity Surge tank that we can use on our kit. Hell the half moon tank they make at 5 gallons is cheaper than that tank.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I just sent them an email. I will.post up what the response will be.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Are you looking for an ice tank, more volume of coolant in the system, or just a more efficient system?

Ice tanks are for drag racing, don't get one unless that's your thing.

Fit the largest heat exchanger you can and it'll both increase the volume of coolant in the system and the overall cooling capacity of the system. Focus on getting air out effectively.

If you're just looking for a replacement for the Edelbrock plastic tank, that should be easy just measure the volume and get one at least that size or larger.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Are you looking for an ice tank, more volume of coolant in the system, or just a more efficient system?

Ice tanks are for drag racing, don't get one unless that's your thing.

Fit the largest heat exchanger you can and it'll both increase the volume of coolant in the system and the overall cooling capacity of the system. Focus on getting air out effectively.
Yea but the HEs are very expensive, having more fluid is a good buffer to help keep heat down. I did email AFCO about this as well. The Rep told me I would have to send them the existing HE and maximum desired measurements to see if they can improve upon what we have. Seeing how there is a lot more space available it shouldn't be much of an issue except we're probably talking something over the 1k mark now.

I'm not around to do anything like that so I guess I'll have to wait until i'm back to see what would be done.