E85 worth it?

salty_stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
I’m thinking about going to E85 on my 2020 with the Roush phase 2. Has anyone already done this? Upsides or downsides? What is a recommended fuel system? I am looking at the VMP plug and play.
Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
The Vmp is great system we have it on our black Friday sale 10% off

Typically with E85 you’re going to pick up about 75 to 100 hp to the tires depending on the amount of timing that you’re seeing now

In addition to that e85 has a very heavy cylinder cooling effect in the engine, which is very nice

You also need larger injectors, which we can help with as well feel free to reach out to me with any questions

OP
OP

salty_stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt

Typically with E85 you’re going to pick up about 75 to 100 hp to the tires depending on the amount of timing that you’re seeing now

In addition to that e85 has a very heavy cylinder cooling effect in the engine, which is very nice

You also need larger injectors, which we can help with as well feel free to reach out to me with any questions
Yes my tuner said I need a return fuel system and he recommended the VMP and a set of #95 injectors like DW. Also I’m wondering will my Roush fuel rails work with us setup?

goldeneagle6747

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 10 Speed

I was under the impression that the stock Gen 3 could handle e85?

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
OP, I personally never do engine mods. It is my belief that it leads to poor reliability either through bad installation or more strain on the engine.
That said, I know lots of people here love to get their hands on tunes and stuff. I'll leave a video below on the advantages of E85.
Best of luck if you decide to go that route. Cheers, 🍻

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
e85 is like crack with FI. i love it. a gallon in the tank So without a tune can help with crappy gas or allow the motor to run with a higher threshold for knock and since knock takes power away from the motor it becomes much more reliable. With a full E85 tuned car that has saddle tanks gets old fast. i used to burn thru a tank on a 30 min "spirited milk run?". U need to fill up when it gets to half a tank at least for me. i started storing 5 gallon cans with e in it in my garage a looong time ago. its like ev range anxiety but with e85 lol nothing like a e85 car and no e85.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Many will disagree with this, but I’ve done the testing, tuning, and logging myself.

The Roush kit can run stock boost and e85 with very few modifications. In fact, even flex fuel tuning costs no more. All you really need is a boost-a-pump and tuning. The problem is that most tuners simply refuse to tune for this which leaves most enthusiasts with no other option than to spend thousands on injectors, fuel systems, and custom tuning. I really wish the self-tuning crowd were larger so this sort of thing could be group tested and shared more widely.

Also, the Roush kit in particular benefits greatly from e85. The use of e85 negates the poor intercooler. The gains will depend on ambient conditions, but I bet when your intercooler is heat soaked you could gain as much as 150-200 hp. In more pump-gas favorable conditions as little as 50 hp gain.

Nawsad123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bonez
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If you plan on wanting to make more power in the future, dont waste your money. Go for the fore innovations dual pump system and a set of ID1000cc or 1300cc injectors. Down the line youll have enough wiggle room to reach your goals and will only spend the $ once

Sponsored

Walkingdogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
e85 is like crack with FI. i love it. a gallon in the tank So without a tune can help with crappy gas or allow the motor to run with a higher threshold for knock and since knock takes power away from the motor it becomes much more reliable. With a full E85 tuned car that has saddle tanks gets old fast. i used to burn thru a tank on a 30 min "spirited milk run?". U need to fill up when it gets to half a tank at least for me. i started storing 5 gallon cans with e in it in my garage a looong time ago. its like ev range anxiety but with e85 lol nothing like a e85 car and no e85.
I'm curious as I am adding 6oz of boostane for the never the same gas here in nc. If I wanted to put in a gallon or 2 each fill up would I need a return system or flex tune? As well do you think it would allow me to take off the conservative timing tune and up my power?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I'm curious as I am adding 6oz of boostane for the never the same gas here in nc. If I wanted to put in a gallon or 2 each fill up would I need a return system or flex tune? As well do you think it would allow me to take off the conservative timing tune and up my power?
Boostane works but it’s expensive and a general inconvenience.

You can actually add about 4 gallons of e85 for every fillup (from empty) and your fuel trims will account for it, assuming they were near zero to begin with. It will be about e30 and result in about +10% fuel trims, which won’t throw a code.

The problem is that the tune won’t adequately take advantage of the timing on the table. You can, however, tune for e30 if that’s your plan (or even flex) and add a couple degrees of borderline timing and it’ll make at least 50 hp more than straight 93 octane.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I will beat this to death. The thing I don't particularly like about the Fore system is it isn't very daily driver friendly. It has no fuel bucket so you have to keep no less than half a tank of fuel in the car to keep the pumps immersed in fuel, or you risk a starvation situation when cornering, or under hard acceleration. This effectively cuts your fuel capacity in half, which is a no go for me, especially when you already are losing mileage when running ethanol.

Walkingdogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Boostane works but it’s expensive and a general inconvenience.

You can actually add about 4 gallons of e85 for every fillup (from empty) and your fuel trims will account for it, assuming they were near zero to begin with. It will be about e30 and result in about +10% fuel trims, which won’t throw a code.

The problem is that the tune won’t adequately take advantage of the timing on the table. You can, however, tune for e30 if that’s your plan (or even flex) and add a couple degrees of borderline timing and it’ll make at least 50 hp more than straight 93 octane.
It's not terribly expensive as I only use 6oz and buy in quality. Adds $5 per fill up in real time but it's not as kind long run for the plugs/o2. I'll shoot my tuner a message and see about his thoughts. I am trying to see how I can safely add about 70 hp. I'd really like to be 690 just a touch under 700 and be there. I was hoping for 650 but got 620 on a safe tune.

5.0_Lojos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
What is the VMP fuel system plug and play? I always hear about the Fore inov. I jave the fic 1000s from beefcake.

Sponsored