Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
When it comes to flex tunes, the computer ramps in the timing after it learns the content of the gas in the tank, it would be the same if it were dedicated or flex at least when it comes to our tuning. we have had no issue with the flex tune on the newer mustangs, we put a lot of R&D into these calibrations both for power, driveability, and the start-up on ethanol
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Flex will make slightly less power than dedicated e85 on the low side and and about the same on the high rpm side.
Watch the you tube vids. They dynoed a 21 back to back with stock, 93, and e85 tunes. They got about 20hp on the 93 tune and the e85 got another 20hp. So where the livernois guy said his tune is making an extra 40hp on 93 I've never seen that.
This was when we first started tuning them, and we have made several more revisions and versions of these tunes since then.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
I've read the 21 and 22 do not take the flex tune very well. Ford changed something and the car cannot determine alcohol %. Have you guys developed a work around for that.
yes we have we offer a flex tune for the 21-22 mustang GT/M1. And, it works wonderfully

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
yes we have we offer a flex tune for the 21-22 mustang GT/M1. And, it works wonderfully
This is good to know, are you able to share anything additional on this subject to put potential customers at ease. I know I’m on the fence about choosing a tuner or tuning at all (flex) due to concerns mentioned above.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
This is good to know, are you able to share anything additional on this subject to put potential customers at ease. I know I’m on the fence about choosing a tuner or tuning at all (flex) due to concerns mentioned above.

The Flex tune works off of a fuel logic in the PCM, when you fit the tank it triggers a learn flag in the tune that tells the car to go through a relearn process, where it will trim to the fuel in the tank and adjust for the content of Ethanol you put in. it works very well and it pretty accurate as long as you do the relearn process correctly which all you need to do is drive around for 10-15 minutes without going wot or sitting at a stand still for extended periods of time. once this is done the car is set and all you need to do is drive it. It is a very safe tune and we have a lot of people running it on their vehicles. I ran flex fuel on my gen 2 from the time I got it until I put the blower on its very simple and e85 makes the coyote motor feel a lot more responsive.

Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
The Flex tune works off of a fuel logic in the PCM, when you fit the tank it triggers a learn flag in the tune that tells the car to go through a relearn process, where it will trim to the fuel in the tank and adjust for the content of Ethanol you put in. it works very well and it pretty accurate as long as you do the relearn process correctly which all you need to do is drive around for 10-15 minutes without going wot or sitting at a stand still for extended periods of time. once this is done the car is set and all you need to do is drive it. It is a very safe tune and we have a lot of people running it on their vehicles. I ran flex fuel on my gen 2 from the time I got it until I put the blower on its very simple and e85 makes the coyote motor feel a lot more responsive.
Thanks for breaking it down, look forward to reaching out to you in the spring.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
any time! If you ever have any questions please reach out on here of call us!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Joker, it’s a super smooth tune as far as power and engine running like normal.
Im just working out some issues with the quirky A10 which I’m sure will be fine eventually.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
To be frank I would pass. I would leave the car stock for what you do with this car. You are also in Wisconsin with very cold winters, also it doesn't store as good as regular gasoline.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Joker, it’s a super smooth tune as far as power and engine running like normal.
Im just working out some issues with the quirky A10 which I’m sure will be fine eventually.
Glad to hear, my 15’ was flex tuned and it was great. It was by a different tuner but I always liked Livernois. My main curiosity/concern was what others and myself had expressed about what Ford did different in the programming to raise that concern but sounds like the tuners have it figured out. Cant wait till spring

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear, my 15’ was flex tuned and it was great. It was by a different tuner but I always liked Livernois. My main curiosity/concern was what others and myself had expressed about what Ford did different in the programming to raise that concern but sounds like the tuners have it figured out. Cant wait till spring
when spring hits, give me a call! I'll hook you up

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The deal breaker for me with E85 is we only have one pump in the entire city, and I'm nowhere near it. Not to mention the range hit you take, pump gas is bad enough on these cars lol. Have too much fun and boom, 200 miles have gone by since you filled up and the gas light is on again...

nate20gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Is there a way to know when the relearn process has finished? I always see people recommending different lengths of time. I guess it must vary. It would be nice to know for sure when process is complete!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It would be nice to know for sure when process is complete!
The flex logic is built into the mustang PCM. There is a switch in the software that turns it on. Yes Ford did get lazy and not fill out some tables, like WOT fueling, crank fueling and a couple of others. The car will learn the fuel in the tank.

The easiest way to see if your car has learned the current tank of fuel is watch the dash A/F gauge. When it stabilizes it has learned.

So I recommend you watch the gauge with gas for a tank or two so you know what is normal for your car. When you switch to the flex tune and the gauge acts the same, only now hovering around 9 or 10, it has learned. Don't be freaked out when you see 17 or 18 A/F ratio, it only means your PCM is ADDING fuel to compensate. It took me a few times with a puckered Asshole and pouring over logs till I figured out the car was not that lean. It was still at 1 lambda.

If I lived in Wi, or anywhere, and I wanted to run E85 I would load a flex tune and forget it. I have a flex tune loaded on mine.

Basically what you want to do is run all the fuel out of the fuel line and rails. So after about 10 to 20 miles it will be fine to hammer it. If you are only buying Flex you don't have to worry about a learning process, the fuel will be close enough that you can drive normally after filling up. The only time you need to worry about learning is when you go from gas to E and E to gas.

The logic in the mustang PCM is the same as the F150. Read a F150 owners manual if in doubt.

Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
So you do not run Flex Fuel with a Blower?
Sponsored