E85 tune... is it worth it?

Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
We have people here in mi run the flex tune year round and have not had issues with it running or starting, id says to run it, but you'll never wanna go back to 93 after you try ethanol!
Mine is not flex, it's straight E85 or 93 octane. I can't run flex because I'm boosted. With it being I had to go with a return fuel system and bigger injectors (if you gonna do it do it right). Car is an absolute monster. E85 on a stock S550 with tune is ok, you pick up some HP, but on a boosted S550 with an upgraded fuel system.....INSANE/BERSEK!!!!
Sponsored

Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
Only if it is readily available. We lost 3 pumps close to me and now it is not worth the 20 min drive to get it. Also this last pump is labeled "Flex" where the others were labeled "E85"
Ours in Maryland read "Flex" too at the pump (Royal Farms), but the ethanol content is usually 77-79. I have the "Fuel-it" sensor that reads the ethanol content.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Az has pumps labeled flex that are e54 or greater. Then there are a few that are real e85 and even one that constantly tests around e90. So you just need to pay attention to what is available in any given area.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Mine is not flex, it's straight E85 or 93 octane. I can't run flex because I'm boosted. With it being I had to go with a return fuel system and bigger injectors (if you gonna do it do it right). Car is an absolute monster. E85 on a stock S550 with tune is ok, you pick up some HP, but on a boosted S550 with an upgraded fuel system.....INSANE/BERSEK!!!!
I cannot wait to get my car on E again, I have a TVS on it, and I am planning on doing a fore fuel system and fic 1000s sometime next year and see what she can do

Golgo69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herb
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT
I cannot wait to get my car on E again, I have a TVS on it, and I am planning on doing a fore fuel system and fic 1000s sometime next year and see what she can do
That what I have (fore fuel system and 1000cc injectors).

Sponsored

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I've read the 21 and 22 do not take the flex tune very well. Ford changed something and the car cannot determine alcohol %. Have you guys developed a work around for that.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I've read the 21 and 22 do not take the flex tune very well. Ford changed something and the car cannot determine alcohol %. Have you guys developed a work around for that.
I’m curious as I’ve heard the same thing but no clear answers other than several are tuning for flex

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I just loaded the Livernois flex on my 21 Mach 1 this morning , had less than a 1/4 tank 93 left when I filled her up with e85(e70 actually) and she Runs great so far.
Still doing the trans learning so haven’t gotten on it too much. Had the 93 tune on it and was to aggressive in the beginning so the trans drove like shit.

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I just loaded the Livernois flex on my 21 Mach 1 this morning , had less than a 1/4 tank 93 left when I filled her up with e85(e70 actually) and she Runs great so far.
Still doing the trans learning so haven’t gotten on it too much. Had the 93 tune on it and was to aggressive in the beginning so the trans drove like shit.
That's good I had a flex tune with ortiz and used it to transition to e85 car smelled awful and kept throwing rich codes once I made the switch to the dedicated e tune all the issues smoothed out. And I've read lund won't even offer flex for 21-22 so if they figured it out awesome.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t smelt anything different, wonder why? Maybe weak ethanol
I talked to Lund many times, he said no flex and they already squeezed everything out of the gen 3 so don’t bother.
So I was confused because the Palm beach guy said they do flex and many say it’s a huge difference in power.
So after more research and letting the miles tick up to 14k to make sure no engine or trans issues.
I talked to Livernois as I heard good things and they were the cheapest by hundreds of $ so went with them.
Honesty, I don’t know who to believe after talking to all the tuners and their dealers.
All of them tend to say different things.

Sponsored

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I haven’t smelt anything different, wonder why? Maybe weak ethanol
I talked to Lund many times, he said no flex and they already squeezed everything out of the gen 3 so don’t bother.
So I was confused because the Palm beach guy said they do flex and many say it’s a huge difference in power.
So after more research and letting the miles tick up to 14k to make sure no engine or trans issues.
I talked to Livernois as I heard good things and they were the cheapest by hundreds of $ so went with them.
Honesty, I don’t know who to believe after talking to all the tuners and their dealers.
All of them tend to say different things.
Flex will make slightly less power than dedicated e85 on the low side and and about the same on the high rpm side.
Watch the you tube vids. They dynoed a 21 back to back with stock, 93, and e85 tunes. They got about 20hp on the 93 tune and the e85 got another 20hp. So where the livernois guy said his tune is making an extra 40hp on 93 I've never seen that.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I definitely think that’s a huge exaggeration.
I’d be very happy with my $600 investment for 20hp on 93 and 40hp on Flex if that’s the true #’s !
I just want to say I have over 500hp when people ask me! Lol

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Yeah, I definitely think that’s a huge exaggeration.
I’d be very happy with my $600 investment for 20hp on 93 and 40hp on Flex if that’s the true #’s !
I just want to say I have over 500hp when people ask me! Lol
I've seen people with catless headers, catback, jlt intake and e85 hit 500whp.
American muscle got like 474whp with a pmas and e85. So these respond to mods with a good tuner

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, headers are out of the question for me. No intention to make the car uncomfortably loud.
Unless someone on the street asks me the rear wheel HP, I’m fine saying it’s an over 500hp car.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Flex will make slightly less power than dedicated e85 on the low side and and about the same on the high rpm side.
Watch the you tube vids. They dynoed a 21 back to back with stock, 93, and e85 tunes. They got about 20hp on the 93 tune and the e85 got another 20hp. So where the livernois guy said his tune is making an extra 40hp on 93 I've never seen that.
Ya peak power is the same but dedicated just ramps up timing quicker so low end immediate torque is more apparent on dedicated.
Sponsored