Il_Padrino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I am currently waiting on my vehicle delivery and we just received notice that the request from the city we live in for a change in road to driveway angle was not approved leaving me with an enormous concern for the angle of entry. The project request would have resolved, flattened, the sharp angle of entry...

Would anyone be willing to measure the angle from the front wheel to the lower edge of the lower valence? I am trying to determine another means of offsetting the angle but need that very critical measurement and any others you think would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I am currently waiting on my vehicle delivery and we just received notice that the request from the city we live in for a change in road to driveway angle was not approved leaving me with an enormous concern for the angle of entry. The project request would have resolved, flattened, the sharp angle of entry...

Would anyone be willing to measure the angle from the front wheel to the lower edge of the lower valence? I am trying to determine another means of offsetting the angle but need that very critical measurement and any others you think would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.
I just put lowering springs on a few days ago or I’d help out. Can you measure it on your car? Seems like if you measured the distance on the ground between front wheel and front splitter, then the distance between ground and front splitter, you should be able to fill in the hypotenuse and get your angle (I think I got a C+ in high school math so someone smarter than I should check that methodology.)

Edit: This might help: https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1223014436

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
I custom built wood ramps to roll my Shelby up on and clear the front edge of the splitter directly in front of the tires. They are around a 7 deg slope but the spoiler extends much further out at the center and I think to clear that you need to be down around 4 deg or so. If no one else beats me to it I'll try to measure it more precisely after while. But, if you even have to ask the question I suspect you are going to have a problem with the driveway. These cars just don't tolerate much grade change.

You can probably best any static angle figure we come up with at the center of the front splitter by taking the entrance at an angle. Since an angled approach puts the outer edge of the splitter closest to contact first, that 7 deg is probably close to your limiting grade. But any entry can have unique characteristics that make all of this guesswork. I know I tried to enter a steep entrance to a parking garage once at an angle and managed to get part way in without hitting the front splitter but as I started to try and straighten out I managed to almost completely unload one rear tire and my locker rear started grinding and jumping and I couldn’t go forward any further. Surprised this would happen with IRS. Fortunately no one was behind me and I was able to slowly roll back out of the entrance and go to another one.

Last edited:

HEP#15

Thank you in advance.
Without knowing your specific situation I don't know if this helps.....but there are several products on the market to address driveway/curb issues. Examples include:https://www.carbibles.com/curb-ramps/. https://www.bridjit.com/?gclid=CjwK...XeokU3p_L_eUxZbIZ6054dVI9KbhTTbRoC1owQAvD_BwE. https://curbramp.us/.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

Sponsored

OP
OP
Il_Padrino

Il_Padrino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
This is an old photo of the house project from a few years ago - the blue vehicle at bottom is at entry = you can get a sense of the angle as you enter and once on driveway it is relatively flat going all the way to the top.

I was told by a few others that the R has a 7 degree angle and 350 (non-R) is a little more. If project remains as is; think I may be in trouble. Red line is main road, yellow line is entry and line of continuation.

ssCvBQI.jpg

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had the same concern. I threw caution to the wind and got the car anyway...

... and scraped on the drive.

However, I quickly learned that taking it at about a 45 degree angle gave me a lot more clearance -- no more scraping so long as I take the driveway (and tall speed bumps!) at an angle.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic

Thank you in advance.
If you are that concerned, I doubt knowing the angle will help you. Just hit the drive at a 45 degree angle getting the front tire to contact as soon as possible will solve your problem hopefully. Our stupid curbs in Louisiana are steep and on a sharp upward angle and even 4 dr sedans can't approach straight on.

OP
OP
Il_Padrino

Il_Padrino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same concern. I threw caution to the wind and got the car anyway...

... and scraped on the drive.

However, I quickly learned that taking it at about a 45 degree angle gave me a lot more clearance -- no more scraping so long as I take the driveway (and tall speed bumps!) at an angle.
I walked the entry again today - just not sure how the heck I'll get to a 45 degree entry. I forgot to take some photos so will walk down again and take some. Need to get an updated photo of the house and drive anyway.

If you are that concerned, I doubt knowing the angle will help you. Just hit the drive at a 45 degree angle getting the front tire to contact as soon as possible will solve your problem hopefully. Our stupid curbs in Louisiana are steep and on a sharp upward angle and even 4 dr sedans can't approach straight on.
Issue is that how the driveway enters the road there is not a lot of play to adjust to a 45... I need the measurements so I can try to make adjustments for a straight on, near straight on, approach. Other concern is coming down the driveway and exiting. Last thing I need is a very expensive car stuck in the garage - no thanks.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid

Sponsored

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
This is an old photo of the house project from a few years ago - the blue vehicle at bottom is at entry = you can get a sense of the angle as you enter and once on driveway it is relatively flat going all the way to the top.

I was told by a few others that the R has a 7 degree angle and 350 (non-R) is a little more. If project remains as is; think I may be in trouble. Red line is main road, yellow line is entry and line of continuation.

ssCvBQI.jpg
Forget about a car man. You need a helicopter to reach your residence. :crackup:

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

ssCvBQI.jpg
Excuse the quick crude image thrown together. But from what you are saying, can you not swing from the left side where the main road in red goes so that you can angle into the yellow drive?

AngleIntoDriveway.png

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Huh. The city won’t let you modify YOUR driveway that YOU own?

Is there an appeal process or exemptions you can research?

I agree w the others about taking sharp grades at an angle can help a lot. There are also screw on sacrificial splitter thingys that can help minimize damage..

Beautiful place btw! Good luck!

Edit - The splitter guard thingy website:
https://zl1addons.com/products/splitter-protection-washers-ford-mustang-gt-350

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Huh. The city won’t let you modify YOUR driveway that YOU own?

Is there an appeal process or exemptions you can research?

I agree w the others about taking sharp grades at an angle can help a lot. There are also screw on sacrificial splitter thingys that can help minimize damage..

Beautiful place btw! Good luck!

It's Sicily. They'd be crazy to let people modify things too much given it's history and significance. Not surprising to me.

Thank you in advance.
For what it's worth, the stock valence in the front is built exactly for this. It's cheap, durable plastic built to scrape and bump. Trust me, I banged mine of kerbs, dragged it on the ground in hard corners, and scraped in my own tight driveway of my first house. It'll scuff the bottom, but that's fine. It was built specifically for that use case. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be more concerned with parking damage and door dings in Italy anyways :)

OP
OP
Il_Padrino

Il_Padrino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
*** About Sicily - insane how hard it is to get simple things done. Not the proper place for it so won't comment on their insane bureaucracy due to gooberment...

Forget about a car man. You need a helicopter to reach your residence. :crackup:
Getting to the top is the biggest joy ever - built a garage that I can really enjoy. Has only two bays, they are oversized, and the middle area is all workshop plus a small weight room. All told 1300 square feet. Just getting the painting done and waiting on several items to come in for the home gym and new tool box and compressor. Other than that she is all mine. That thing on the right; that's where my wife and kids live. :-)

izJprDU.jpg
Sponsored