Drilled and slotted rotors

5.0Vonn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jovan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Package 1
I just changed my rotors to Drilled and slotted rotors, I’m curious to see if there’s much of a difference in cooling/braking power. Any thoughts?

IMG_3089.jpeg

IMG_3086.jpeg

IMG_3085.jpeg
Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Drilled rotors will dissipate heat much better than non drilled rotors, but depending on how you use the car it might not make a difference at all.
If the car is a daily driver, you won't probably notice anything different besides the brakes sounding louder when stopping. If the car is tracked, then yes maybe you will notice better performance when they heat up.
Regardless drilled rotors certainly look nice and give the car a sportier appeal.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Depends on what you're using it for but generally there will be no difference or worse performance. If you are using it for the street then you won't notice a difference. If you use it for the track then you'll find you get worse performance. Yes they may cool better (depends on ducting and airflow to the rotors) but you're losing surface area. So your pad bite will have less surface area and lose some of its stopping power. In addition, you'll find that when they reach their maximum rated temperature they will develop cracks around the drilled holes, this will eventually ruin your rotors. My advice to anyone tracking their car is to stick to blank rotors or slotted rotors. The drilled rotors you see on racecars replace their rotors after every race and are generally not drilled but forged with the holes. Drilled are mainly for looks, and they do look very good! :like:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Drilled rotors will dissipate heat much better than non drilled rotors, but depending on how you use the car it might not make a difference at all.
If the car is a daily driver, you won't probably notice anything different besides the brakes sounding louder when stopping. If the car is tracked, then yes maybe you will notice better performance when they heat up.
Regardless drilled rotors certainly look nice and give the car a sportier appeal.
Totally wrong.
what dissipates heat is the thermal mass of the rotors and obviously the holes remove weight and therefore mass
It was a time when brake pads were out gazing and therefore holes gave a way for those gas to escape
Almost no one that track their cars use drilled rotors because they have a tendency to develop serious cracks going from holes to holes
Nowadays they are more of a fashion statement that anything else

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Totally wrong.
what dissipates heat is the thermal mass of the rotors and obviously the holes remove weight and therefore mass
It was a time when brake pads were out gazing and therefore holes gave a way for those gas to escape
Almost no one that track their cars use drilled rotors because they have a tendency to develop serious cracks going from holes to holes
Nowadays they are more of a fashion statement that anything else
Totally wrong?

I think not.

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/brembo-perforated-disc-5-reasons-for-purchasing

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Most of my cars have drilled rotors.
That's wonderful, I bet they look great. But that doesn't mean you're right. Seriously go to a track or an actual race. The cars that have drilled rotors will be less than 10% of the cars on track and if they do chances are they are ceramic rotors or OEM forged rotors with cooling cavities (drilled rotors but not drilled). :like:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I did the Powerstop kit, Z26 I think it is?
Anyway, every bit as good as stock, far less brake dust. 100% satisfied.
Spirited driving, no track work.
20230430_160433.jpg
20230430_160349.jpg
Drilled rotors are totally fine on the street and do look good
But they don’t bring any performance advantages and do not belong on a track

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
…. And ?? Do you track your cars ?
My Porsche also has drilled rotors from the factory but i don’t track it , otherwise i would replace the rotors
Yeah, I do.
Drilled rotors from factory on viper, ferrari and both porsches. Boxster Spyder is sitting outside.
What would the engineers at the OEMs know about drilled rotors? Hmm.
Only cars that don't have drilled rotors are my mustang and audi.
I prefer non drilled rotors by the way.

IMG_7566.jpeg

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Yeah, I do.
Drilled rotors from factory on viper, ferrari and both porsches. Boxster Spyder is sitting outside.
What would the engineers at the OEMs know about drilled rotors? Hmm.
Only cars that don't have drilled rotors are my mustang and audi.
I prefer non drilled rotors by the way.

IMG_7566.jpeg
Not on my Viper 😁

IMG_0683.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: