Sponsored

Drilled and Slotted Rotors

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Isn't cross drilled rotors prone to cracking?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think if the holes are molded into the mold instead of drilled later, the holes will not crack because it has been pre cooled faster so the material would shrink at different rate and at different density.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think if the holes are molded into the mold instead of drilled later, the holes will not crack because it has been pre cooled faster so the material would shrink at different rate and at different density.
It's still a structural/thermal discontinuity in a product that can't have a surface finish anywhere near as good as a die-casting anyway.

Norm

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
NOTE Not For Track

FYI....my car is street driven and occasional shows. Like the millions of other users of drilled/slotted rotors. It will never see the track or extreme consistant high speed braking.

Picked up my Z26 Ceramic pads and am ready to install my rotor Pros and new brakes.
a.jpg

Last edited:

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
FYI....my car is street driven and occasional shows. Like the millions of other users of drilled/slotted rotors. It will never see the track or extreme consistant high speed braking.

Picked up my Z26 Ceramic pads and am ready to install my rotor Pros and new brakes.
Well said , enjoy.

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP

Where did you get yours? Mine have silver hubs

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Be careful n make sure your dust boots are free before you screw in the pistons on the rear or your going to tear them . I sprayed mine with wd40 and freed them first . A pair of needle nose pliers work well to screw them in.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Where did you get yours? Mine have silver hubs
I used Black Caliper paint and 2 beers!!! :cheers::cheers: I wondered if I shoul as they did look purdy. But since that's where most of the brake dust accumulates...I Thot it was a good idea. With the Z26 Ceramic Pads there's supposed to be waaaay less brake dust.

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good , curious as to how the paint will hold up.I'm running the ceramic pads, no dust .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The sad thing I've seen for purely street-driven cars is that many of the mail-order/phone-order places expect everybody to want drilled rotors if they want anything above base OE-replacement. And they're genuinely surprised when somebody doesn't want drilled.

I went through this over the phone when I had to get rotors for the Maxima in my sig. Took three times telling the representative that I actively DID NOT WANT DRILLED ROTORS before it finally sunk in that maybe I really meant it. Sheesh!

Norm

Sponsored

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Norm we get it . You don't like cross drilled rotors . Maybe the moderator will make a sticky Norm Doesn't Like Cross Drilled Rotors .

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
The sad thing I've seen for purely street-driven cars is that many of the mail-order/phone-order places expect everybody to want drilled rotors if they want anything above base OE-replacement. And they're genuinely surprised when somebody doesn't want drilled.

I went through this over the phone when I had to get rotors for the Maxima in my sig. Took three times telling the representative that I actively DID NOT WANT DRILLED ROTORS before it finally sunk in that maybe I really meant it. Sheesh!

Norm
Norm...as per your request!!! I made it clear...."Not For Track" ...my bad, I should have said...."Not For Track...or Norm" so sorry you had to see this post. I would sincerely suggest you start another thread titled "Track Racing No Drilled/Slotted Rotors"

Pls Bro..chill . There are not thousands and thousands ...more probably millions and millions of people not killed every day because their brakes failed due to "drilled/slotted poor brake rotors" got directly to the track...dump the clutch (it is a stick right?) and just have a blast. :cheers::cheers::cheers: ps: I truly hope your DD Maxima stops when you want it to stop, even though it has drilled rotors !!

BTW?.my spare winter driver is a Palapa on the beach in Puerto Vallarta for 5 months !!!

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I truly hope your DD Maxima stops when you want it to stop, even though it has drilled rotors !!

BTW?.my spare winter driver is a Palapa on the beach in Puerto Vallarta for 5 months !!!
After three tries, the person on the other end of the phone conversation got it right. Slotted only, which as an appearance mater for a street-driver gives the odd bits of road grit better places to go than into making grooves in the part you'd really rather be kept flat.

My point in mentioning it at all was to note that sometimes it's on the people selling rotors for steering (or trying to steer) their customers into getting drilled rotors. So they own part of this as well.

Norm
Sponsored