Drilled and Slotted Rotors

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I daily my car and after being told the 6 piston brembo isn't a huge upgrade for someone who doesn't track the car, I have decided to keep the stock GT brakes and add some drilled and slotted rotors for looks instead of the brake upgrade. Has anyone heard of these? I was thinking BrakeMotive but these look a little better in my opinion.
Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 5.02.47 PM.jpg
Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
They appear identical to the BrakeMotive rotors, which are actually PowerStop rotors, however these are twice the price. For that price you could get the BrakeMotive set, PLUS nice PowerStop pads for the front and rear. The ones you are looking at don't come with pads...such a rip for that price.

IMO you would be foolish to buy them. Buy the BrakeMotive set off EBay. Even better, do what I did and wait for an "8x EBay Bucks" sale and wind up getting back about $35 on the purchase!

OP
OP

MustangPapi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
They appear identical to the BrakeMotive rotors, which are actually PowerStop rotors, however these are twice the price. For that price you could get the BrakeMotive set, PLUS nice PowerStop pads for the front and rear. The ones you are looking at don't come with pads...such a rip for that price.

IMO you would be foolish to buy them. Buy the BrakeMotive set off EBay. Even better, do what I did and wait for an "8x EBay Bucks" sale and wind up getting back about $35 on the purchase!
I don't believe they are identical, these are drilled twice between each slot whereas the BrakeMotive are drilled once, and they do come with R1 Ceramic pads on all four corners. They are actually $485 on Ebay but I posted the website pic since it was clearer and easier to read.

Just wondering if there is any quality difference. Thanks for your input! I saw you upgraded to the six piston brembo, any huge difference in daily driving?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Hmm. The picture shows that pads are extra. Didn't see where you said that good pads are included for that price. My two sets of PowerStop Z26 pads cost me $142 shipped from Jegs.

My BrakeMotive rotors cost me 214 after the $18 Ebay bucks (not $35, sorry) I got back. 214+142=356. About $230 cheaper than what you're looking at.

Don't take my word for it: Read the BrakeMotive thread and Google for yourself. :)

Unfortunately, all my brake parts are sitting in their boxes. I got delayed b/c there was a problem with the braided lines I bought, then while that was being fixed, I decided to wait to do the brakes until I did my suspension upgrades too. Why tear it apart twice? I'm in the process of doing all that now. Should be finished this weekend.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I've bought R1 Concepts slotted rotors and ceramic pads for two other vehicles in the past 4 years. No issues with them, fit and finish were good and shipping was fast. I can't say I know enough about rotors to say they are better than other brands but they looked and felt to me to be of decent quality. I wouldn't pay a premium for drilled rotors but if you like the look it's your dough. The primary purpose/reason vendors drill holes in rotors is to extract more money from customers.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
More out of curiosity (not the rover) sake, why?

I'm not looking but figured I'd ask. This related to durability?
Drilled rotors do little to dissipate heat or gas (in fact, slotted rotors don't offer that much benefit either). Drilled rotors do, however, create hot spots for clamping stress and offer many potential failure points for cracks to propagate.

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I am with the no-go on drilled guys. Not only do I not believe in them and have heard millions of bad reviews about cracking, but get to look at it first hand. My work has two GT500's that are both on Drilled/Slotted. One is street only and the other has seen the track three times. Both started cracking during street use. And those were 15" kits.

Sponsored

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
My only two cents is for that price you don't have to get no-name ebay rotors.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
For the "no drill" folks the only thing I have to bring up is that Porshe, BMW, Audi, and many others sell their cars with OEM drilled/slotted rotors...so with millions spent in engineering I'm betting they know a bit more about how effective at braking they are than us.

I've been running the Rotorpros drilled/slotted and have no issues on mine after 4K+ miles.

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
My only two cents is for that price you don't have to get no-name ebay rotors.
The "no-name EBay rotors" are PowerStop branded. Not exactly no-name. :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For the "no drill" folks the only thing I have to bring up is that Porshe, BMW, Audi, and many others sell their cars with OEM drilled/slotted rotors...so with millions spent in engineering I'm betting they know a bit more about how effective at braking they are than us.
Those companies are just as aware of the marketing advantage as anybody else and just as willing to use it. Even if they have managed to force their rotor suppliers to work to tighter tolerances and better contouring of the holes, every hole that is drilled becomes a local stress concentration effect. I used to do some analysis where metal components were subjected to rapid heating and/or cooling. That aside, you probably wouldn't want to pay OE Porsche prices.

Slots or grooves don't seem to suffer nearly as badly even under repeated hard braking from high speed, and in street driving at least offer places for the odd bits of grit to drop into instead of scoring the friction surfaces (appearance benefit).

Norm

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Those companies are just as aware of the marketing advantage as anybody else and just as willing to use it. Even if they have managed to force their rotor suppliers to work to tighter tolerances and better contouring of the holes, every hole that is drilled becomes a local stress concentration effect.

Norm
This makes no sense from a purely economical standpoint. You mean to tell me that Ford, Chevrolet, Jaguar, Porshe, BMW, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Fiat, et al, are going to waste hundreds of thousands (or millions) of dollars of engineering just to install an "appearance mod"? Not to mention all of racing circuits around the world who use drilled rotors....I'm sure that's just for marketing too...

You're joking right?
Sponsored