Sponsored

Doesn't feel like 460hp...?

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I was in a Hellcat Redeye last month, the car has almost 800hp. But because of its weigh and magnaride, you don’t feel you’re going fast. When on the highway every other car was “slow”, they were driving on the speed limit, we were going too fast. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked that car, but I prefer the mustang platform better.

Another reason why I bought the EB, is because you won’t need 460hp for normal driving. I know the V8 sound it’s awesome, but even in normal mode I’m going faster than most of the cars around me.
What do you mean? If the driver hammers it in a hellcat, you feel like Arnold in total recall.

EB is a fun car, especially for city driving. The V8 is pretty much a different car.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Another reason why your car doesn't feel as fast over time is you get used to the power. Power is a slippery slope. Never satisfied.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Been saying this for years;

They are naturally aspirated, small-displacement, high-revving V8s. They do not have much low-end torque, and they don't really wake-up until about 4K RPM. They do not feel very fast.

I had a friend buy a 2018 BMW 540I M-Sport, with 335 hp and 332 lb-ft of torque, and a 3900 lb curb weight. He was absolutely sure his car was faster than mine, because his feels faster.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Yup, the car will do the numbers, whether it be on the dyno, acceleration times, trap speeds etc but the Coyote doesn't "feel" as fast as it is because of the linear, wind-up power delivery. Think of it as a larger displacement E90 M3 engine with a lower redline.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Just an observation, but the car just doesn't feel like it has 460hp. It just doesn't seem fast enough for the power rating. I almost wonder if they're a bit generous with the rating from the factory... Car is a 10 speed with 3.55's, I even run 94 octane.

I absolutely love the car, it just feels slower than it's rated for.
As a stock 2018 5.0 made 497 on an engine dyno, if anything its very under rated. You may want to get your Butt calibration checked.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
As a stock 2018 5.0 made 497 on an engine dyno, if anything its very under rated. You may want to get your Butt calibration checked.
That's been debunked many times. It was a dyno that was putting out silly numbers, click-bait stuff to get views. The cars put out right around the advertised power and torque.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just an observation, but the car just doesn't feel like it has 460hp. It just doesn't seem fast enough for the power rating. I almost wonder if they're a bit generous with the rating from the factory... Car is a 10 speed with 3.55's, I even run 94 octane.

I absolutely love the car, it just feels slower than it's rated for.
Put it on the scale,then you will know why it feels slow,look at all the weight it has gained !!!!!!!

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Sometimes I feel the same too. However, after driving my daily driver (2017 Honda Civic) and getting back into my GT, the GT is lightning fast.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I came from the Fox Body and SN95 platforms where low end torque was in your face. It took me awhile to get used to this car and the way it puts its power out. I even made a post here when I was new commenting on how it felt slow on the low end.

Now that I am 9 months into my ownership of the car I understand it much better. Like many have said...the way it wakes up in the 4K+ range is impressive. I had mine out at the track on Friday night and I love how it feels in the 4000-7400 range and it is impressive how quickly it gets there.

I do not daily mine - but when I am driving it I am always in sport or drag mode because I want the throttle response. The times I forgot to switch it out of normal and I goose it a bit I immediately and like "wtf is wrong with the car...oh I'm in normal"

The fact that it rides so smooth (no magneride on mine) even with the suspension work does catch me off guard still sometimes. I'll look down and be doing 90 and it doesn't feel like it one bit.

I will say this though - after being on stock motor (only h-pipe mod) I am used to the feel now. After I bought it I felt like I was sitting on a rocket. Now? I need mods to get back the "holy shit" feeling.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
That's been debunked many times. It was a dyno that was putting out silly numbers, click-bait stuff to get views. The cars put out right around the advertised power and torque.
That's an engine dyno so it's 497 crank hp. I'm not sure what you think is debunked? At this point it's pretty common knowledge that the Gen 3 Coyote is underrated. Probably to protect the GT350.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That's an engine dyno so it's 497 crank hp. I'm not sure what you think is debunked? At this point it's pretty common knowledge that the Gen 3 Coyote is underrated. Probably to protect the GT350.
No, it's not. There was a spate of early and pretty fake dyno runs when the 2018s were coming out, that were done for click-bait reasons. But when the cars were put on properly reading dynos, they were right at the quoted power levels.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Feel can be very deceiving even for pros.

I always remember a story from World Superbike. A world champion had just switched from inline 4 to V-Twin. He spent a day testing without lap time information since the team wanted feedback not colored by the perception of lap times.

When the day was over, his feedback was they had a long way to go since he was not feeling fast at all. Then, they showed him the data with several laps well under prior lap record pace. He won the championship the next year with a "slow feeling" engine.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
No, it's not. There was a spate of early and pretty fake dyno runs when the 2018s were coming out, that were done for click-bait reasons. But when the cars were put on properly reading dynos, they were right at the quoted power levels.
For the 18+, do you believe GT350 copy manifold, raised compression, and host of other improvements only yield ~6% hp increase?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
A tune wakes up the car greatly. Reduces a lot of the torque management/limiters in the stock tune. Also, modifications to the suspension make the car feel much tighter and therefore faster. There's a lot of refinement in the S550 that numbs the feeling of the power.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
As said the S550 is deceptively quick. It's not violent and whatnot going on like other brands, and cars of yesteryear. Take an older car making the same power and it feels like an 8 second car compared to the these. Especially the autos, either one. They shift so fast and smooth.
Sponsored