Do we actually "need" an oil cooler??

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
true your gauge is a little more suspect re quality but with only two results and two completely different answers i dunno where that leaves us tbh. The one constant is we both used same pick up source for the sensors so yeah comes down to gauges / sensors. If you want to try a branded gauge and see what you get? Might help answer the question or worse case back up your original results. How rubbish would that be lol

One thing i need to do is run with the OEM dash oil temperature gauge and see how it moves in relation to the external oil temperature gauge. I've been using the CHT as it is more animated, you confirmed that it is actually hooked into the coolant passage yes and not the metal of the head? Its a real coolant sensor in that respect versus the rest of the inferred gauges ?

Need a third person to try with the oil cooler delete and a fourth person with the OEM cooler in place to try this.....

Yaris GR, very nice and on a normal road I'd wager faster than the Mustang. Overtaking grunt aside for when stuck behind camper vans, sharp handling and lightweight wins in the daily driving.
Mon a twisty forest road the GR will be quicker no doubt, but thereā€™s one statement that springs to mind when comparing the two.. there ainā€™t no substitute for cubes!! Yeah, it has 270 odd HP and it weighs nothing, but it doesnā€™t have that V8 grin factor!!
Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
so yeah wont be much updating on this since my car is now off the road, see other thread but before that all happened

exec summary - cars started and left idling in 3degC air temperature - 10 minutes later and ext oil gauge started registering on the scale so 60degC. After 20 minutes driving it was up to 90degC though it had hit that before i stopped and cycled through the gauges. No sudden rush to 130degC and it certainly didn't hit 90degC while sitting idling for 10 minutes or so after starting. We need a third gauge, on anyones car tbh.

Longer version
started car reversed out of garage,
5degC outside and CHT was 25degC i think by that point my oil temp hadn't even moved
10 minutes of idling outside while i swept the garage, CHT 74degC and ext oil gauge showing just under 60degC
20 minutes driving in mostly a 50 zone then down into a 20zone and stopping, CHT 100degC and ext oil gauge showing 90degC
Snizzle then happened and no further results will be available til long after Christmas I'd guess

edited cause I hit Enter way way too early

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh no, what happened to your car?

I canā€™t offer any more help until next year now as mine is off the road now for the winter. My car has never seen a wet road, let alone a gritted one!!

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I would be curious to see the results of installing an actual gauge. I would agree that the cooler isn't doing a ton, but sharing some of the heat load with the cooling system definitely has value up to a point, even though arguably the purpose is more to help the car warm up faster for emissions reasons. In an outright track application it starts to become a disadvantage when the cooling system is completely maxed out, which is why the 350 and 500 don't use one (plus they already have gas guzzler taxes anyway so who cares lol).

As far as pressure, idk if the car knows the actual numerical value, but there is for sure an oil pressure switch to let the ECU know if it's dropped below a specific limit. There's also an electronic oil pressure bypass solenoid that kicks on at lower engine speeds to lower the pressure which increases engine efficiency a little (another emissions trick that IMO is stupid). That might be a Gen 3 only thing though, I haven't looked into it too far.
Im convinced that some of the BBQ tick is related to the OP solenoid that lowers pressure, but that's just assumed.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im convinced that some of the BBQ tick is related to the OP solenoid that lowers pressure, but that's just assumed.
Well, the OP solenoid is a Gen 3 only fitment and the Gen2 also has the BBQ tick??

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Oh no, what happened to your car?

I canā€™t offer any more help until next year now as mine is off the road now for the winter. My car has never seen a wet road, let alone a gritted one!!
I got hit up the ass by a 14tonne dump truck, fortunately at low speed but still shifted me and car some 15 odd feet.

Get yourself another proper gauge and hook it up, fire the car up and check the temperature as it idles. Your current gauge hit 90degC in what 2 minutes idling? Another gauge might back that up or be similar to mine which barely hit 60degC after 10 minutes. Which matches the onboard gauge, cht was 74degC

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
sooo thread / topic revival. Car all back, a better gauge mounting screwed together and gravity stuck to dash above centre speaker. Was out and about yesterday on a mix of road speed and sitting in queuing motorway traffic. Dual carriageway / motorway speeds at the 70mph limit, lots of speed cameras on the roads and oil temperature was a smidge over 90degC. Sitting in queuing traffic temperature didn't really move from previous 90degC. Some spirited acceleration out of roundabouts to get to speed limit, barely rose above 90degC, maybe 92ish. This was in ambient 12-15degC air so not too warm but not the previous 2-5egC either.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Interesting.

For those of you who want to know, That is 190 degrees oil temp at 54-59 degrees ambient.

Raptor17GT any chance that you are going to track the car? These temps are nothing to concern oneself about and, obviously, your set up for these conditions is working well. It would be interesting to see your data when the car is driven hard on a track.

Thank you for the data.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
ok, so last update below until the weather is a good 10degC or maybe 8degC warmer outside as no spirited driving to really push things which was the logic behind not needing the oil cooler / oil interwarmer for 'normal driving'.

Exec summary - 90-92degC (basically just far enough past the 90degC marker to see the marker, gauge back face then needle) in all steady state driving.

Long version, moderate but steady state (near enough) driving at different speeds pretty much has the same steady oil temperature 90-92degC the only difference being how fast the oil gets to said temperature and it can take a surprising distance to get up to that temperature. So, 50mph, 70mph er 80ish for 30 miles give or take the occasional lift and coast for traffic it is the same temperature for the oil so I'm guessing that 90-92degC is its steady state? Was also in stop start traffic for 25 minutes and oil temperature stayed the same 90-92degC. CHT on the dash would vary from 95-100degC throughout all the above. Ambient temperatures were 8-12degC across the different days and mostly dry.

I would guess on a spirited run the oil temperature might rise but I'm not sure by how much as holding say 5th gear and bend swinging it using the torque could be different from hoofing it through the gears. I'd also imagine that a brisk overtake of a slower queue of traffic will bump oil temperatures up during said overtake then come back down (going by my dec post) but for now that's all i have. When ambient temperature goes up a fair amount then i'll hook up the gauge and go again. Might be some time for that to happen where i live. Sigh

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Holy thread revival, it's been 23degC here and that can only mean one thing. Oil temperature testing :clap:

So boringly my spare phone mounted on a headrest phone holder failed miserably to capture the moments. Either got my shoulder as the phone position slipped or the picture was crapped out due to the sunshine. Not that I'm complaining about the šŸŒžšŸŒž

So results. Crusing at a steady speed at the 70mph posted limit oil temperature held steady at 100degC. Yeah, it's higher than a 3degC day, makes perfect sense.

Sadly my back road scratching on route to family duties was limited by AVG speed cameras, slow drivers on the too twisty to overtake sections or in fact stationary traffic but bend swinging it and using the torque of 5th gear with the occasional drop to 4th and hoofing it, the oil temperatures varied from 90degC to pretty much bang on the 100degC marker. Cht varied from 93degC to 100degC but due to crap equipment and said mounting issues I didn't get the pictures of both at the same time to get some idea of correlation. Worked great in testing the garage but less so when bouncing down a back road with the blazing sun.

So I'll just have to do it all again and see if I can get a clear run on a clear road. :like::sunglasses:

Again all this chat is for RHD road vehicles that won't see the track and not run in hot climates. We know track cars still need to dump the stock oil cooler but put in something a whole lot better.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
I reckon this will be my final update on this topic unless other posters have new information / queries.
So weekend just gone, didn't exactly hoof the car but 23-30degC ambient temperatures outside and in fairly enthusiastic driving without pushing the revs to the red oil temperature never got above 103ishdegC temperature, could see the dial face between the 100 and the needle position. The only time it rose above this was climbing the Applecross (Bealach na Ba) road. Climbing to 2050odd feet above sea level, 25degC weather, air con on (obv!), 20percent gradients, high loads on the engine pulling out of alpine style hairpins (three of them) and constant stop / start / on the power between passing places and blind corners on a single track road. Oil temperature hit 110degC which actually matched the CHT readout as well. TBH most of the time they are pretty close to each other with steady state driving, when hoofing it the oil temperature can be higher than CHT but usually not by much. Think for the road, I'm fine without the cooler

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Great thread guys. Iā€™m in qld australia , and Iā€™m getting a motor rebuilt at the Moment as it killed a piston.
yesterday I cut oil filter open just to see the glitter and also the ā€œ oil heater transfer ā€œ block.
I was thinking to my self this little thing would do sweet F All.
after finding Your thread , my gut was right. Its more of a warm up than a cooler. It winter here and Iā€™m still in shorts and shirt šŸ‘ŒšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž

Iā€™ll be getting a block off plate ordered today , and Get a harrop set up when I get boosted.

once I get it all back together Iā€™ll do some temp tests and report back.

cheers

Tim.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Great thread guys. Iā€™m in qld australia , and Iā€™m getting a motor rebuilt at the Moment as it killed a piston.
yesterday I cut oil filter open just to see the glitter and also the ā€œ oil heater transfer ā€œ block.
I was thinking to my self this little thing would do sweet F All.
after finding Your thread , my gut was right. Its more of a warm up than a cooler. It winter here and Iā€™m still in shorts and shirt šŸ‘ŒšŸ˜ŽšŸ˜Ž

Iā€™ll be getting a block off plate ordered today , and Get a harrop set up when I get boosted.

once I get it all back together Iā€™ll do some temp tests and report back.

cheers

Tim.
Sorry to hear about your motor :frown: yeah i suspect you might need an oil cooler in your climes but if you fancy hooking up an oil temperature and seeing what you get before you get boosted, be interesting to see.
Sponsored