Sponsored

Do we actually "need" an oil cooler??

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Many thanks for that. I have a 19MY, but I will certainly look into that.
Cheers. :like:
ooo you maybe want to check out @WD Pro 's 2020 thread as I'm sure he did something on his digital dash to get temperatures showing, i'd presume your EU MY19 is digital as i thnk it was std on facelift models ?
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
ooo you maybe want to check out @WD Pro 's 2020 thread as I'm sure he did something on his digital dash to get temperatures showing, i'd presume your EU MY19 is digital as i thnk it was std on facelift models ?
That was the diff oil temp :like:

WD :like:

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
Interesting topic and discussion indeed. I think non tracked UK cars don’t need the additional ”oil cooler” or heat exchanger. Good to hear some owners are taking this very low cost option so far without any problems.

If only we knew the failure rate on them the decision would be easier, perhaps it’s one in a hundred???

The problem is once you know of ”cooler” failures and subsequent engine replacement costs do you feel brave enough to continue unmodified?

As nearly all my trips are long motorway ones I didn’t want the hassle of a failure so went for the air”cooler” option at GT101.

I have noticed that it does take longer than before for the oil temp to get to normal so that supports the idea that it is more of a heat exchanger than cooler.

It is probably good practice to take it easy before it up to temp anyway.

Plus those clever folk in Wales will be introducing a blanket 20mph speed limit in built up areas so we will have to take it slow anyway until we reach the motorway.Then once we get connected average speed cameras on the motorway we will never have to worry about overheating again.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Had the Mishimoto plate and gauge delivered today. Made a video on my You Tube channel.
If you buy the plate, be sure to check the threaded plug in the base. Mine was literally finger tight!!

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed that it does take longer than before for the oil temp to get to normal so that supports the idea that it is more of a heat exchanger than cooler.
Now that's interesting because if the temp was inferred based on head temp, you shouldn't notice much difference ?

WD :like:

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting topic and discussion indeed. I think non tracked UK cars don’t need the additional ”oil cooler” or heat exchanger. Good to hear some owners are taking this very low cost option so far without any problems.

If only we knew the failure rate on them the decision would be easier, perhaps it’s one in a hundred???

The problem is once you know of ”cooler” failures and subsequent engine replacement costs do you feel brave enough to continue unmodified?

As nearly all my trips are long motorway ones I didn’t want the hassle of a failure so went for the air”cooler” option at GT101.

It is probably good practice to take it easy before it up to temp anyway.

Plus those clever folk in Wales will be introducing a blanket 20mph speed limit in built up areas so we will have to take it slow anyway until we reach the motorway.Then once we get connected average speed cameras on the motorway we will never have to worry about overheating again.
Interesting that it takes longer to warm up than it did before? If the algorithm mentioned earlier is factual, surely the computer wouldn’t know you have a stonking great cooler on there??

As you say, I’m sure that a driver who stays within speed limits will not encounter any issues?

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys.. I think this video will answer the question...

Don't forget to like and subscribe please...

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
just woke up after my pre Bathurst 1000km race snooze and er this video isnt great news lol. I'd maybe query the accuracy of that cheap gauge but i doubt it'd be out by that much unless it itself is suffering major heat soak. Mmmmm buggerations. I've checked the pics of my plate and it doesn't have any take off's on it so i can't even try replicate what you've done here. Weird thing is, where the heck is my oil filter now if i have the plate below fitted.. Whats the oil filter relocate item you have Nige?

1665267545846.png

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP

Thank you, Sir! I think that this pretty much wraps it up for the oil heater that is in our cars. It is easy to see that this would help to bring up oil temperature faster on a cold start. After reaching normal operating temperature there could be some oil cooling available due to the difference between the oil and coolant temperature under normal driving conditions. But it seems unlikely to me that under track conditions that there would be that difference between the coolant and oil temps. This based on all of the posts in the threads about not being able to run but a couple of short sessions without having the nannie's step in and reduce power. Many have posted that coolant temps rise rapidly, therefore so must oil temps due not only to the added heat of high RPM operation, but also because of the decrease of the delta between the coolant and oil temperatures. This is all based on what i have read here and on other forums on this issue, not on any data that I have produced.

Good work! I believe that I would go with the aftermarket oil cooler choice in order to attempt to achieve lower oil temps and not take the chance of finding out that I have one of the 1 in 100.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
be good to see what oil temps you get :like:
just woke up after my pre Bathurst 1000km race snooze and er this video isnt great news lol. I'd maybe query the accuracy of that cheap gauge but i doubt it'd be out by that much unless it itself is suffering major heat soak. Mmmmm buggerations. I've checked the pics of my plate and it doesn't have any take off's on it so i can't even try replicate what you've done here. Weird thing is, where the heck is my oil filter now if i have the plate below fitted.. Whats the oil filter relocate item you have Nige?

1665267545846.png
Hi Buddy..

There is an M16 x1.5 threaded bung in the bottom of the plate. This is where I fitted my sender.

As you rightly say, the gauge could be out, but not by that much and, when tested in boiling water it actually read on the cold side. From looking through the internet, it would appear that 140° C is up near the top of a synthetic oils capabilities?
The remote filter i am getting is the MMR one that comes as a kit here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17240366...rentrq:bd7096ec1830a825eed118c0fffc9e90|iid:1

Remember, to fit this you will need to remove the original casting that runs down the side of the engine which in turn means you will need spacers or a LHD left engine mount. If you need spacers made I can do that.

The replacement filter is around ÂŁ12 on Amazon and being K&N we know it'll be good.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it seems unlikely to me that under track conditions that there would be that difference between the coolant and oil temps. This based on all of the posts in the threads about not being able to run but a couple of short sessions without having the nannie's step in and reduce power. Many have posted that coolant temps rise rapidly, therefore so must oil temps due not only to the added heat of high RPM operation, but also because of the decrease of the delta between the coolant and oil temperatures. This is all based on what I have read here and on other forums on this issue, not on any data that I have produced.

Good work! I believe that I would go with the aftermarket oil cooler choice in order to attempt to achieve lower oil temps and not take the chance of finding out that I have one of the 1 in 100.
Exactly.. I found I was forever looking to see if I had any coolant or oil on the garage floor, now I have the peace of mind that it's gone I no longer need to worry.

I will do a product review when the new kit arrives and then an install video to boot.

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual

Thanks for the interesting video Nige.

Got to say the underside of your car is super clean and corrosion free whereas my 2017 underside looks like it’s been on the sea bed with the “Mary Rose”!

I do live by the sea in North Wales and it spends all its time outside so only to be expected.

OP
OP
Gloucesternige

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the interesting video Nige.

Got to say the underside of your car is super clean and corrosion free whereas my 2017 underside looks like it’s been on the sea bed with the “Mary Rose”!

I do live by the sea in North Wales and it spends all its time outside so only to be expected.
Thanks.. I do actually clean it underneath, plus it's garaged and never gets driven on wet roads or when there's salt about. Yes, sad I know, but it's how I like to look after it.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Hi Buddy..

There is an M16 x1.5 threaded bung in the bottom of the plate. This is where I fitted my sender.

As you rightly say, the gauge could be out, but not by that much and, when tested in boiling water it actually read on the cold side. From looking through the internet, it would appear that 140° C is up near the top of a synthetic oils capabilities?
The remote filter i am getting is the MMR one that comes as a kit here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172403666078?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=f4107938cff54cbc934f3ea496fc582c&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=284986919665&itm=172403666078&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:11917c96-47ea-11ed-8335-aa9bab015cb1|parentrq:bd7096ec1830a825eed118c0fffc9e90|iid:1

Remember, to fit this you will need to remove the original casting that runs down the side of the engine which in turn means you will need spacers or a LHD left engine mount. If you need spacers made I can do that.

The replacement filter is around ÂŁ12 on Amazon and being K&N we know it'll be good.
Aha, that's good to know about the temp sensor plug, I'll need to get something sorted out to have a gauge in mine and confirm the results.

Does that temperature gauge alter all when the car is up to temperature? I wonder what folks are seeing temperature wise with the air coolers, obv that inferred display in the dash is completely out with the interwarmer removed!

Awesome details re the location kit I'll save that info. Time to speak to my car guy as I don't work on the car myself - no skilz.
Sponsored