Sponsored

Decision Time

wsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro ZL1
I am looking at a 2020 gt350 with all the options including comfort seats and 11,000 mi,es and a 2017 with recaro seats and electronics package that has 13,500 miles. Both are black. My dilemma is they are $15,000 apart. Both in excellent condition. Is the 2020 the better choice because of the engine? Does the 2020 handle that much better? The 2020 comes with Ford warranty. The 2017 I private party. This will be a daily driver and see no track time. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at a 2020 gt350 with all the options including comfort seats and 11,000 mi,es and a 2017 with recaro seats and electronics package that has 13,500 miles. Both are black. My dilemma is they are $15,000 apart. Both in excellent condition. Is the 2020 the better choice because of the engine? Does the 2020 handle that much better? This will be a daily driver and see no track time. Thank you in advance.
I'm not a gt350 owner so take my answer with a pinch of salt but they refreshed the GT350 in 2019 so the 2020 is much better car than 2017 besides the 2017 had some reliability problems so the newer one is preferable.

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Personal decision - for some it is, for others, it isn’t.

Easy to search here and see the many threads on changes over the years - that will answer your question in detail. Some engine evolution, slight design changes (wheels, wing, etc), many good videos on YouTube on this as well. Final model year to me was more desirable - the benefits of all the “lessons learned”, even if modest changes were still important to me.

Dealer vs private party and some warranty is also nice “insurance” for a period of time as you learn the car and its history / needs…that has to be worth at least $5K in value all things equal.

So I say study the threads here on changes, watch many of the YouTube videos and go with your gut. My heart is with the 2020 but reasonable minds can differ on that (and trust me, they do!).

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
This is from CoPilot. An AI from Microsoft. Not sure it addresses your questions specifically but it's pretty cool. I asked it "Is the 2020 Mustang GT350 better than its 2017 counterpart?

The 2020 Mustang GT350 is considered an improvement over the 2017 model in several aspects. Here are some key differences:

For a detailed comparison, enthusiasts often look at factors like engine tuning, suspension adjustments, and any special features that may have been introduced in the newer model. It’s also worth considering personal preferences in styling or specific features that may sway one’s choice between the two.

If you’re considering a purchase or simply curious about the differences, it might be helpful to watch comparison reviews or read forums where owners discuss their experiences with each model.

IPB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Par
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2020 GMC AT4 6.2L, 2020 BMW X3M40
I was going through this same scenario very recently. I had a loose budget which helped, I wanted low mileage, and a specific color with specific options.

After going through multiple threads here and other places, endless youtube videos, and generally driving myself crazy, I narrowed my search to 2019-2020 models. Generally lower miles, some level of warranty remaining, and in some cases you can add on if you want, the Gen 2 motor, and the other small changes made the extra $$ worth it for me.

I found my 2020 with 6k on it, and couldn't be happier. For me the car isn't a daily, its a weekend warrior/garage queen:cwl:. Were it a daily the points I made above would be even more important to me for overall longevity.

Good luck!

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; No personal opinion on which car is better to have. Would seem $15 K can go a long way to fix/modify any short comings.
Car will be a daily driver so modest performance/handling differences ought not to matter so much. Cannot use the full potential of either car on the street. Have a friend who insisted on having a Porsche Cayman S. I recommended the base Cayman would suit his driving style. He got the S. He drives mildly and does not ever approach half the limits of the car. In his mind the S made a difference.

Maybe a car-fax or some such vehicle history might help. There is always a reason someone gets rid of a vehicle.

Have fun keeping a black car clean. But they look so good. Also nice problem to have. Good luck.

DRIVEN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Talk to owner of 17 see how his maintainace and care of car are. Was it someone who didn't care about car just was cool. If he warmed it up properly looked after it right , I wouldn't worry one bit. I own a 2019.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
You stated a $15k disparity in them w/
1 at dealership, & 1 private party.

I'm droppin you a link below to a "lite" version of 'Blackbook'.
You can use it to evaluate ea cars price vs their 3yr disparity. B/B was "da chit" for many yrs, before 'Manheim' came along.
Or if you find yet another mdl yr to consider.

Everyone will have their own reasons for which car they would buy, - 2017 or 2020.
Myself, I would prefer the 2020. Most reasons we feel will have been covered in other threads, or here.

GT500 knuckles, on the '20 mdl GT350 front-end, we ourselves see as a small perk. Ford felt it was worthy of updating the front knuckles on the '20 GT350, so maybe we should see the value in that as well.

As for future resale, the '20 will likely always have equal or more value (comparing 🍎's to 🍎's).

Might also make an attempt to grasp an 'Oasis Report' on 1 or both, if possible.

Do a search on
"what is needed to get an Oasis Report",
here on 6g.

Black Book Weekly Values Lite 👇

https://www.blackbookportals.com/bb...olesale=True&showretail=True&showtradein=True

Good luck in your purchase đź‘Ť.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I am an owner of a 2017 GT350 with 24,500 miles. I have had zero issues with the car. The differences between the 2017 and the 2020 are not discernible if you are only using the car on the street.

You say the two cars are $15,000 apart. It would be helpful to know what the asking prices are.

I do prefer the Recaros over the comfort seats. Strictly from a resale standpoint, I would opt for the 2020.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
3 year newer car technically has 3 years less depreciation. $15k isn't that much when you factor that in.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Boy those press release talking points really helped solve the question. Thanks, AI.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Everything I’ve read has said go with a 19+ car but 15k price difference seems steep.

fsujmm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1 (Sold), 2017 Gt350
I purchased a 17 in 2018. I have had zero issues up until last week. Had to put a new A/C compressor in but luckily the other parts of the system were good to go.
Sponsored