Dark Horse

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
I don't know about you all, but for $95K there are much better cars to be had (e.g. BMW M3/M4 Competition xDrive, Corvette, Porsche 718 S, etc.). Those cars will smoke the Dork Horse with ease on a road course. What's happening with the DH is simply a function of supply/demand. People are willing to pay the markup and the dealers know it. I wouldn't pay MSRP...., but I would consider it at a discount.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don't know about you all, but for $95K there are much better cars to be had (e.g. BMW M3/M4 Competition xDrive, Corvette, Porsche 718 S, etc.). Those cars will smoke the Dork Horse with ease on a road course. What's happening with the DH is simply a function of supply/demand. People are willing to pay the markup and the dealers know it. I wouldn't pay MSRP...., but I would consider it at a discount.
Hmm, I don’t think the DH with the HP is getting smoked with ease by most of the cars you named. By all accounts, it’s got all the good bits from the Mach 1 HP and the Shelby’s, so don’t discount its capabilities. Add in the optional CF wheels and it’s that much more capable due to the rotating mass reduction.

Is the DH worth $95k (assuming an ADM is added)? That’s subjective to each individual. For me? No, I can go get a nicely optioned, low mileage GT500 for less and a similar GT500 CFTP for just a bit more.

I want to see a real test: same track, same day, same conditions between the DH and some of those you listed to verify my theory. But I don’t think the gap is as wide as you think it is, if there is even a gap at all.

loucas-2021

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Louis
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP Grabber Yellow
Hmm, I don’t think the DH with the HP is getting smoked with ease by most of the cars you named. By all accounts, it’s got all the good bits from the Mach 1 HP and the Shelby’s, so don’t discount its capabilities. Add in the optional CF wheels and it’s that much more capable due to the rotating mass reduction.

Is the DH worth $95k (assuming an ADM is added)? That’s subjective to each individual. For me? No, I can go get a nicely optioned, low mileage GT500 for less and a similar GT500 CFTP for just a bit more.

I want to see a real test: same track, same day, same conditions between the DH and some of those you listed to verify my theory. But I don’t think the gap is as wide as you think it is, if there is even a gap at all.
I too would like to see the real test you mention (same track, day, conditions). Maybe in the near future one or more of the car rags will have something like this. We don't have the numbers, so we don't know, but I'd be willing to bet that all of the cars I mentioned would end up in front of the DH. I'd even go as far as saying that the M2 would be right there with the DH or even beat it. I'd pick the DH over the M2 mostly because I don't like the looks of the M2 and because I like Mustangs.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
I really thought maybe next year I would maybe order a Darkhorse But I came to the dealership in Florida and wanted to test drive UNTIL i seen the price !!! BS no way 95,000 ! I have been a Mustang fan all my life but this price goes way above the Market !!!

IMG_4470.jpeg

IMG_4471.jpeg
95k is insane, I sort of understand a small markup but that's crazy. At that price point you can get a brand new G80 M3 haha

Sponsored

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I like the Dark Horse, but I don't think it's worth a penny over MSRP--in fact, even though I'd consider buying one, I'm not even sure I think it's worth MSRP for the HP cars. 70K is a lot of money for a Mustang, regardless of capability. In any event, there are plenty of Dark Horses listed at MSRP or below, so this dealer is likely going to sit on this one for a while. It's not 2020 anymore.

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
The BMW M2 looks better everyday with nonsense like a $73k Mustang lmao!! Yeah, no.

The name Dark Horse alone is worth 9 retard points. Could only be better if there was a Mach E version of the Dark Horse.
The name "Dark Horse" sounds like it was created by a committee of marketing folks up against a deadline whose bonuses were attached to successfully pitching a car name on a Friday morning to a VP who had a 1 o'clock tee time at the local golf course.... Personally, having owned a GT and currently a M1, I would rather purchase a fully loaded 2024 GT than pay the asking price for a car called a "Dark Horse." Dark Horse... What is a Dark Horse... It's like Dodge coming out with a slightly updated version of a Charger and calling it a "Dodge Conqueror..." I'd rather Ford just call the Dark Horse the new Mach 1 which is what it seems like it is...Ok, my rant is over... I need more coffee.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
The name "Dark Horse" sounds like it was created by a committee of marketing folks up against a deadline whose bonuses were attached to successfully pitching a car name on a Friday morning to a VP who had a 1 o'clock tee time at the local golf course.... Personally, having owned a GT and currently a M1, I would rather purchase a fully loaded 2024 GT than pay the asking price for a car called a "Dark Horse." Dark Horse... What is a Dark Horse... It's like Dodge coming out with a slightly updated version of a Charger and calling it a "Dodge Conqueror..." I'd rather Ford just call the Dark Horse the new Mach 1 which is what it seems like 😱it is...Ok, my rant is over... I need more coffee.
Calling the DH a new M1 is insulting as well as blasphemy!
Never shall the two be confused. To the ducking stool!!! 😫:giggle:

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If I was to pay almost $100k for a car, it would not be a mustang.
I might pay $100K for a Mustang if it had the right equipment.
At that price point, Ford should have made the Mustang a mid engine/RWD layout to compete with the Corvette. Not to mention the rear end of the car is ugly AF. It is almost as if Ford gave up on the design now that the Camaro and Challenger are going away.
If it made closer to 600 HP naturally aspirated, weighed a couple hundred pounds less and had a rear manual transaxle I would consider paying $100K. Highly likely I would do it, but Ford would also have to build enough of them that I could drive one at the dealer and be 100% sure I had to have it. I'm not going to spend that kind of money without a test drive. And Ford would have to make enough of them that there would be no dealer mark ups.

On second thought, you are completely correct and I agree. I will never pay $100K for a Mustang, because that stuff I wrote above will never happen.

I'm not sure if most of those cars are a lot better than the DH. BMWs and Porsches you mentioned don't have a V8. The 718 to me is more of a great track car, but boring on the street. So if you buy a 718 set up for track use you will spend a lot more than $100K. Corvette - no manual transmission - no thanks.

The DH WAS faster than the ZL1 1LE on Throttle House's track, but I'm not sure how close any used PP1 Mustang with those tires on it would be to matching the times. Possibly it's mostly the tires. Maybe if I test drove a DH, I would find that the power to weight is better than the numbers say and I would have to have one. But they are too limited and precious, so I will never know.

Anyway, I'm not interested in any of those cars you mentioned for their current MSRP prices. I'm not saying the Mustang is awesome or perfect, but it's more my taste than any of that other stuff. It seems to me like currently most everything between about $70K and $120K isn't that good. It has a high price due to interior or build quality rather than being raw like the Mustang but with a better engine and lighter weight.

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I saw one on the street yesterday. Didn’t care for the side profile… the blacked out fascia looks weird from that angle. Overall, I like the S550 better from a visual perspective. I feel like the DH makes a used GT350 look like a relative steal at this point in time.

Tones GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2021 FJG Mach 1
They should’ve called it the crack smoking horse because that’s what most of these dealers charging ADMs are doing.

I’d get a well optioned c8 with mag ride and Track pkg and you’ll smoke that crack horse.

The bad thing is I have always been a ford guy but ford is losing me with the s650s and these ridiculous prices.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
That would be called the Hee-Haw, or E-Haw for marketing reasons.

As validated and approved by the gen z focus group. Honorable second place: Eeyore.
This post nailed it, shut it down LOL. Genz wants the steering wheel on the touchscreen too.
Sponsored