Sponsored

Custom License Plate Illegal??

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
You guys ever seen these? Would these be illegal? Not that I care, but wouldn’t want the hassle of getting pulled over every time a cop noticed it or wanted to investigate. If not technically illegal to run, it just feels like they might be a cop magnet, idk.

https://www.platemakrs.com/

Every state has different laws regarding this.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Here is a true tale for you. My brother in law was partner in a string of computer stores many years ago. They got into selling copiers. 2 employees were playing with them making copies of 20 dollar bills. Never tried to use them. Threw the copies out. Someone found them in the trash an next thing you know the secret service was at thier door.
Long story short, lengthy investigation, major legal issues,, business shut down, 13 stores closed and out of bsiness.
Yeah they don’t take too kindly to counterfeiting money, whether you intend to actually use it or not

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Yeah they don’t take too kindly to counterfeiting money, whether you intend to actually use it or not
Our copier at work won’t do it period. It just comes out all black. Some how it detects what you are copying and automatically blacks it out.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Our copier at work won’t do it period. It just comes out all black. Some how it detects what you are copying and automatically blacks it out.
I’m sure with all the technology these days there’s sensors or something that detect money and it will just doexactly what your copier does. Either that or something in the bills themselves. The material and ink used is obviously a government secret so there’s probably all kinds of stuff in there too

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
How do we go from a piece of metal with some numbers and letters on it to counterfeiting?

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
The irony is that at least in my AO the number of completely unlegible paper dealer tags that are 6+ months past the allowed 30 day limit duct taped to a 10 year old POS is staggering and the police do nothing. I rock a custom tag with my actual state issued number clearly visible with unexpired year decal and my ass would probably get pulled over.
In my state that requires 2 plates, about half the vehicles I see on the road have no front plate (only the big commercial trucks seem to have them). Also, I've seen a number of vehicles with no rear plates at all, no temp paper plates or anything at all, nothing in the back window either. I guess what we see in Hollywood movies about some criminal doing something and they ask what the plate number was and they say that there were no plates on the vehicle. Guess they really can get away with driving without any plates, they do here.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
In my state that requires 2 plates, about half the vehicles I see on the road have no front plate (only the big commercial trucks seem to have them). Also, I've seen a number of vehicles with no rear plates at all, no temp paper plates or anything at all, nothing in the back window either. I guess what we see in Hollywood movies about some criminal doing something and they ask what the plate number was and they say that there were no plates on the vehicle. Guess they really can get away with driving without any plates, they do here.
I’ve been running around with no plate since 2 months ago when I got my car (still waiting on title to register) and haven’t been bothered once. It is pretty crazy

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys ever seen these? Would these be illegal? Not that I care, but wouldn’t want the hassle of getting pulled over every time a cop noticed it or wanted to investigate. If not technically illegal to run, it just feels like they might be a cop magnet, idk.

https://www.platemakrs.com/
I met these guys at their booth, at a car show here in S. Florida. We discussed the legality of the custom plates at length.

In summary, the plates aren't legal in Florida. They assured me it would be fine, essentially because [they make plates for charity vehicles for Broward Sherriffs Office and other S. Florida agencies, so "they won't bother you."]

There are quite a bit of Ferraris and Lambos down here that run around with them, but you mostly see them at car shows. I have seen the plates around time to time, and think law enforcement have better things to focus on.

If you aren't in S. Florida, I would say don't give LE another reason to pull you over.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
don't give LE another reason to pull you over.
This. These cars are already cop magnets. All you are doing is giving them the right to pull you over anytime and anywhere.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yeah, that would be my argument. Illegal or not, I’m guessing cops just wouldn’t know enough and it would attract that attention just cuz. Looks cool and all, but when you balance it out….

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yeah, that would be my argument. Illegal or not, I’m guessing cops just wouldn’t know enough and it would attract that attention just cuz. Looks cool and all, but when you balance it out….
Maybe if you had one for a special occasion where you are going to a cars and coffee or whatever. I would also have a standard plate for when I didn't want to be bothered.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Technically illegal, but so long as the design isn't too radical and matches the general design and layout of the issued plate I don't see the cops giving you too much grief. As others have mentioned there are hundreds of pre-approved plates per state and they all vary wildly so there's no way a cop would have memorized all 150+ available plate designs. If they run the numbers and that matches the car and the plate has the appropriate registration sticker clearly displayed, I doubt they'd give you any grief and just assume it was some new special plate they hadn't seen before.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I’ve yet to hear of anyone getting pulled over just because of plate violation, typically it’s a secondary offense, and a misdemeanor at that. So if you’re getting a ticket for it, it’s most likely because you were pulled over for something else.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’ve yet to hear of anyone getting pulled over just because of plate violation, typically it’s a secondary offense, and a misdemeanor at that. So if you’re getting a ticket for it, it’s most likely because you were pulled over for something else.
I agree although I have seen officers run my and other cars plates at stop lights on several occasions. Bright colored Mustang that is loud when the AE is in track mode attracts enough attention (usually a thumbs up from local LE as I’ve gotten to know quite a few of them over the years), I’d rather not give them a reason on the off chance they run my plates. The different types of plates here have designators on them that are part of the plate when they run them, so if it’s covered up or altered they’ll know when they run it.

As others have said, it would be cool for a C&C or something though. Just switch them out before going to and from.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I agree although I have seen officers run my and other cars plates at stop lights on several occasions. Bright colored Mustang that is loud when the AE is in track mode attracts enough attention (usually a thumbs up from local LE as I’ve gotten to know quite a few of them over the years), I’d rather not give them a reason on the off chance they run my plates. The different types of plates here have designators on them that are part of the plate when they run them, so if it’s covered up or altered they’ll know when they run it.

As others have said, it would be cool for a C&C or something though. Just switch them out before going to and from.
I can see that. Florida doesn’t have any special designators on their plates, just the number/letter combo and the sticker.
Sponsored