Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
That being said try getting stopped and your plate doesn't match your registration card. Good luck with that. Screwing around with your plates you are only asking for trouble and a reason to get pulled over which can lead to a whole bunch of trouble. I was in Law Enforcement for 26 years.
In Florida the registration lists what numbers or letters are on the plate and the month/year it was paid up to. Doesn’t say anything about color of plate, what specialty design you have, or any other identifying features. So my plate always matches my registration.
Now I don’t give crap about what my plate looks like so none of this applies to me. But if it’s legal in SC to add a sticker to your plate without obscuring the identifying features then it’s up to the legislature to specify how much it can be covered. If it’s not expressly written then that’s on the fault of the State, not the driver.
So while I appreciate your service to your community, that still doesn’t give you much credibility when applying the law to all 50 states.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
in my neck of the woods "illegal to deface a plate". Which means you can't add anything onto it (except plate holders).

I think some of yous like arguing with cops.. and collecting points on yer D/L's
haha.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That being said try getting stopped and your plate doesn't match your registration card. Good luck with that. Screwing around with your plates you are only asking for trouble and a reason to get pulled over which can lead to a whole bunch of trouble. I was in Law Enforcement for 26 years.

Nobody said anything about making a plate that doesn’t match registration. That would just be dumb.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I bet as long as the custom plate wasn’t something too bizarre using it out side of the original state would probably be easier. My state Oklahoma has something like 60 different current plates you can pick from and probably another 40 that we’re issued at one time that you can continue to keep as long as you dont let it lapse. No way an out of state cop is going to know what every possible plate a different state ever issued looks like., a mustang themed plate could easily have been issued for a mustang car enthusiast association. There’s all sorts of groups that got plates issued.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I bet as long as the custom plate wasn’t something too bizarre using it out side of the original state would probably be easier. My state Oklahoma has something like 60 different current plates you can pick from and probably another 40 that we’re issued at one time that you can continue to keep as long as you dont let it lapse. No way an out of state cop is going to know what every possible plate a different state ever issued looks like., a mustang themed plate could easily have been issued for a mustang car enthusiast association. There’s all sorts of groups that got plates issued.
Yep, all this. The two states I’ve lived the longest are Montana and Florida. Florida has over 120 approved plate designs and Montana has nearly 200.

edit: I just checked Florida DMV and they are close to 200 plates as well.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Are you ordering one and putting it to the test.

In Florida the registration lists what numbers or letters are on the plate and the month/year it was paid up to. Doesn’t say anything about color of plate, what specialty design you have, or any other identifying features. So my plate always matches my registration.
Now I don’t give crap about what my plate looks like so none of this applies to me. But if it’s legal in SC to add a sticker to your plate without obscuring the identifying features then it’s up to the legislature to specify how much it can be covered. If it’s not expressly written then that’s on the fault of the State, not the driver.
So while I appreciate your service to your community, that still doesn’t give you much credibility when applying the law to all 50 states.

TRDFurgesson

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 N0426, 22 Bronco Wildtrak 2dr, 92 Yota 4x
Vehicle Showcase
Pricier than my current vanity plate, but a black background with fighter jet gray letters….. I’m in! Not a fan of the standard Ohio license plate background.

IMG_5167.jpeg

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
This thread is all the incentive I need to begin Xeroxing my money while at work. :giggle:

GT-23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Chrystler
You guys ever seen these? Would these be illegal? Not that I care, but wouldn’t want the hassle of getting pulled over every time a cop noticed it or wanted to investigate. If not technically illegal to run, it just feels like they might be a cop magnet, idk.

https://www.platemakrs.com/
They are 100% illegal in the State of Florida.
They are make in the State of Florida also.
CHECH your state motor vehicle laws.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
This thread is all the incentive I need to begin Xeroxing my money while at work. :giggle:

Here is a true tale for you. My brother in law was partner in a string of computer stores many years ago. They got into selling copiers. 2 employees were playing with them making copies of 20 dollar bills. Never tried to use them. Threw the copies out. Someone found them in the trash an next thing you know the secret service was at thier door.
Long story short, lengthy investigation, major legal issues,, business shut down, 13 stores closed and out of bsiness.
Sponsored