Sponsored

Custom License Plate Illegal??

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You guys ever seen these? Would these be illegal? Not that I care, but wouldn’t want the hassle of getting pulled over every time a cop noticed it or wanted to investigate. If not technically illegal to run, it just feels like they might be a cop magnet, idk.

https://www.platemakrs.com/
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Great question, anyone know. or just want to guess

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I think it depends on the state. If they cover up any of the identifiers used by law enforcement, I would assume it’s illegal. For example, here in IL we can choose plates with a sports team on it. The BD is part of the plate that law enforcement runs so if that were to be covered up, it would be illegal here

IMG_2752.png

Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The site itself gives this disclaimer after you go through the customizer process:

IMG_0516.jpeg
IMG_0515.jpeg
Are they creating a custom plate with the same numbers and letters as the original or are they modifying the state issued plate? Modifying an issued plate woukd be illegal. Creating a new plate with the same relevant information I see no issue with but I’m sure law enforcement probably woukd just because even though it provides the same exact information and allows them to do 100% of their job.

If Caesar is getting what he is owed and the registration is clearly evident for law enforcement purposes, I don’t see how this is any different from the 60 other custom options offered by the tag dept.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No modifying original plate. They make a new one with all the correct info on it. However, I respectfully disagree with you; at least for the state of FL. Its doesn’t say alter the original plate, it states “alter the original appearance” of any plate. Thus, I’m sure the intent is if it doesn’t look like the original state issued, it’s wrong.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
If this would pass current state regulations, I would be very surprised…!!!

If so, great, but how?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The irony is that at least in my AO the number of completely unlegible paper dealer tags that are 6+ months past the allowed 30 day limit duct taped to a 10 year old POS is staggering and the police do nothing. I rock a custom tag with my actual state issued number clearly visible with unexpired year decal and my ass would probably get pulled over.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
No modifying original plate. They make a new one with all the correct info on it.
On their home page it says you have to ship your original plate to them. If they don’t modify the original why do they need it. A photo or scan of the registration showing that it’s registered to the person buying the custom tag woukd suffice.
I don’t mind being the Guinea pig and seeing how Johnny long arm responds since mine isn’t a daily driver and I can be selective about where and when I drive it, however there no way I am sending them my original plate just in case things go sideways.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
The irony is that at least in my AO the number of completely unlegible paper dealer tags that are 6+ months past the allowed 30 day limit duct taped to a 10 year old POS is staggering and the police do nothing. I rock a custom tag with my actual state issued number clearly visible with unexpired year decal and my ass would probably get pulled over.
the answer to your quandary lies in your question grasshopper…only those that can’t afford to ignore the fine, will pay the fine 😉

I learned this when my daughter forgot to tell me about a parking ticket she got her freshman year at college, THREE states away…and they took it out of MY tax return 😂

MrDude_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP convertible
So I actually went through this a few years ago.
In my state, South Carolina it specifically says that it's legal to have stickers on the license plate as long as it does not obscure any letters or numbers.

So if you make a vinyl decal that say, covers everything except the letters and numbers is it legal?
I did some simple computer renders from my existing license plate and asked a lawyer. He was intrigued enough by the idea that he helped me write a letter to my DMV to get a ruling.

If it is stuck on there with adhesive on the vinyl it could be considered a sticker. That is how stickers are made after all. If the sticker did not obscure any letters or numbers and did not make the plate illegible, it would technically be legal.

That said, and this is what the lawyer made sure to get across to me... Officers do not know this law off the top of their heads. There is a very high chance I will be stopped regularly at least at first for having this on here. It will most likely cause me to be pulled over occasionally just from the plate.

Furthermore when you go out of state, the state is supposed to respect the registration of the home state however... This becomes another gray area in each state where you want to say that that state's law doesn't apply to you, as you have an exemption. However again you will likely be pulled over. Again you will likely have to hire a lawyer to talk in front of the judge because if you do it without a lawyer they're not even going to listen to you anyway.
You were then making an argument about how the reciprocy between the two states exists and that you are legal in your home state and therefore should be allowed in this state.
The situation is very similar to if you got a no front plate ticket in a state with front plates but you are registered in a state that only has rear plates. The law doesn't directly apply to you, but you still have to convince a judge of this. And this case is not as obvious.
In any case, here was my proposed gandalf plate that is technically approved by the SC DMV but would probably get me pulled over:
PXL_20210715_163356519.jpg
PXL_20210715_163402207.jpg

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
The only plates that are 100 % legal are the plates ISSUED by your State DMV. Ask me how I know?
Sponsored