Coyote 3 Oil Catch Can

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have the extra insurance, but I considered getting a catch can for my 2019 GT and just passed on doing it. I had already spent a wad on an extra set of wheels/tires, tint, PPF, etc.

Primarily, I had looked at other cars with direct injection (notably the Volkswagen Golf R) and those vehicles had pretty established histories with their direct injection causing carbon buildup engine problems that a catch can helped with. My impression was that the entire idea of Ford and Toyota having both direct and port injection was supposed to be to avoid the carbon buildup on the valves that direct injection alone would create, right?

So, now, I'm sitting at 16k miles and I'm feeling a vibe that I really screwed up not putting a catch can on my car and I'm wondering if anyone has seen a Coyote 3 experience buildup without a catch can? Is there any definitive evidence that it is actually needed for anything other than a potential performance gain from catching that extra oil while driving hard?

Honestly, I got a little put off of making any mechanical mods to my car while under warranty with all of the hoopla over the engine tick madness too. I've not had any trouble with my motor and I've had clean oil analysis come back twice so far.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you aren't seeing measurable oil consumption between changes there is precisely 0 benefit to installing a catch can. Even if you are, the port injection will adequately clean it. The catch can can still be useful to keep gunk off the throttle body though. As far as warranty goes, Ford's own internal document about what mods to look for when diagnosing problems basically gives catch cans a complete pass as being harmless. Someone posted it somewhere.

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
If you aren't seeing measurable oil consumption between changes there is precisely 0 benefit to installing a catch can. Even if you are, the port injection will adequately clean it. The catch can can still be useful to keep gunk off the throttle body though. As far as warranty goes, Ford's own internal document about what mods to look for when diagnosing problems basically gives catch cans a complete pass as being harmless. Someone posted it somewhere.
Thanks! That's what I thought. I'm personally sure it doesn't hurt anything, but I sorta felt like I might be getting extra scrutiny over my concerns about all the tick drama going around and warranty coverage.

I might add one at some point if I feel the need to do something for the car and I've got money burning a hole in my pocket, but it does seem mostly for show like you've made a mod under the hood. The hood struts on the other hand - now, those are definitely worth the money. I haven't noticed any hood shake since those were installed and it sure does feel nice to have a normal hood with struts. That makes me feel like I've got a 'mod' that does something.

I think maybe I caught a Youtube video somewhere that maybe the catch can also can help outright performance for track use or hard driving because it helps clean up the air coming into the combustion chamber. So, I'm sure it helps in some situations, but maybe not as vital as direct injection only vehicles that suffer carbon buildup.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
To the OP:

I have a 2019 complete 5.0 engine I purchased out of a totaled 2019 GT. It had 11K miles. I am building it to support 1200 HP.

Upon disassembly, the back side of the intake valves were pretty darn clean, but there was some slight build up of carbon. Obviously as the miles accumulate, this would be more pronounced. So while the dual fuel system Ford uses works very well, it's not a panacea.

I installed a JLT at just under 11K miles on my 2018. In 1,000 miles of mixed driving, I checked the oil separator and I would estimate maybe a 1/2 teaspoon of oil, not much at all.

But this oil was stopped at the separator and did not go to the intake valves.

Last edited:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
As you and one other said the port injection will minimize carbon buildup on the intake valves, but a catch can keeps the slime out of the throttle body, and actual intake manifold. That oil residue will eventually build up and be more of an issue long term.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I put a jlt catch can on the passenger side right when I bought the gt. Cheap insurance in my opinion. I'm at 35k miles. I change oil every 5k. I empty about an ounce of oil from the can every oil change. It's very consistent. Take it for what it's worth....

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
I just run a passenger side breather filter. Car does not burn oil.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
People will lean one way or another on catch cans. Yes the engine is designed to burn off the very small amounts of water and oil that go back through. Is it a good idea to prevent that from happening...I think so. If you are boosted the need to have one jumps as you will get more blow-by. It's worth every penny in my opinion. I get a good bit in mine and I only drive my boosted GT on the weekends.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
As you and one other said the port injection will minimize carbon buildup on the intake valves, but a catch can keeps the slime out of the throttle body, and actual intake manifold. That oil residue will eventually build up and be more of an issue long term.
This ! If one is a dd as is mine, catch cans are a low cost form of insurance. Waiting for my JLT cans. Ordered them last week.

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I gave in and ordered one of the Ford Performance oil separators. The car has about 17.5k miles on it now though. What might be expected from letting it go that long before putting one on? I guess I'm curious if there is anything that can be done to clean up any buildup?

I'm reluctant to start tearing anything apart, but if there is any easy maintenance that could be performed I might be willing to give it a shot. I would actually like to see what/if any buildup occurred.

Sponsored

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I have had one on mine since new, I suppose if a person wanted to look bad enough, you could pull the intake mani off, and check it out. I don't know if just pulling the air intake off the throttle body would give you enough of a look into the intake tract, but you would see how much if any is on the backside of throttle body. I like to run my car at higher rpm's and get several teaspoons of oil every few months.

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I have had one on mine since new, I suppose if a person wanted to look bad enough, you could pull the intake mani off, and check it out. I don't know if just pulling the air intake off the throttle body would give you enough of a look into the intake tract, but you would see how much if any is on the backside of throttle body. I like to run my car at higher rpm's and get several teaspoons of oil every few months.
I see the Youtuber, Zander13, pulled his looking for why he was having issues and found some gunk even with a JLT on the passenger side. So, he put one on the driver's side too. He drives his really, really hard though. It's got lots of modifications. I don't follow him that much anymore so I don't know how far he had taken it when he pulled his off. Last I saw he had a turbo on it and the engine blew.

I guess it's not a massive deal to pull the throttle body off and clean it from what I can see with videos of replacing them. I might be curious what it looks like before I put the separator on it and clean up what I can if needed. Not sure that's going to do a lot of good vs just leave it alone and not take a chance on screwing something up - breaking a tab or wtf ever I might manage to do.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Is there anything in particular that you need to take into account when choosing an oil catch can? Any particular feature that might make one brand and/or model better or worse than another? Or will any of them do just fine?
The JLT ones seem to be held in high regard, but unfortunately they don't ship internationally for the time being, due to covid. Steeda also offers one, which I would prefer simply because of the convenience of having it delivered from a European location. Does any of you have any experience with it? Is it as good as the JLT (and if not, then what exactly makes the JLT better)?
The only thing that draws my attention is that the products of other manufacturers, including JLT, are specifically made either for the driver's or for the passenger's side, while Steeda's catch can is generic. They say it can be installed on either side. Should I be concerned about this? I mean, there must be a reason why others choose to go through the trouble of designing, manufacturing and selling two different products for the same car, mustn't it? So what's the catch?
Any hints and tips would be appreciated, as I know next to nothing about these things. :blush:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Is there anything in particular that you need to take into account when choosing an oil catch can? Any particular feature that might make one brand and/or model better or worse than another? Or will any of them do just fine?
The JLT ones seem to be held in high regard, but unfortunately they don't ship internationally for the time being, due to covid. Steeda also offers one, which I would prefer simply because of the convenience of having it delivered from a European location. Does any of you have any experience with it? Is it as good as the JLT (and if not, then what exactly makes the JLT better)?
The only thing that draws my attention is that the products of other manufacturers, including JLT, are specifically made either for the driver's or for the passenger's side, while Steeda's catch can is generic. They say it can be installed on either side. Should I be concerned about this? I mean, there must be a reason why others choose to go through the trouble of designing, manufacturing and selling two different products for the same car, mustn't it? So what's the catch?
Any hints and tips would be appreciated, as I know next to nothing about these things. :blush:
Concept is the same for both sides. Placement and hose length are most likely the differentiators. I would agree that driver's side is unnecessary unless F/I.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I see the Youtuber, Zander13, pulled his looking for why he was having issues and found some gunk even with a JLT on the passenger side. So, he put one on the driver's side too. He drives his really, really hard though. It's got lots of modifications. I don't follow him that much anymore so I don't know how far he had taken it when he pulled his off. Last I saw he had a turbo on it and the engine blew.

I guess it's not a massive deal to pull the throttle body off and clean it from what I can see with videos of replacing them. I might be curious what it looks like before I put the separator on it and clean up what I can if needed. Not sure that's going to do a lot of good vs just leave it alone and not take a chance on screwing something up - breaking a tab or wtf ever I might manage to do.
He has gone over the top with mods, not even a mustang anymore other than in body. Always breaks too. Chasing 8 second 1/4 mile times will do that.
Sponsored