Which oil catch can?

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
So, looking at the JLT, BBK, and UPR passenger side catch can. Is any one in particular better than the others? Better fit, finish, installation?
Sponsored

Tuxedomouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Grabber Blue Premium PP
Ford Performance unit looks the best (most OEM) of the bunch. Has been working well for me.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
UPR. The JLT doesn’t suck up as much. Could if you put some steel wool on the bottom. BBK no experience nor know anyone as guys I’m around chose UPR. Ford isn’t user friendly. You basically have to take a syringe to empty.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Ford Performance unit looks the best (most OEM) of the bunch. Has been working well for me.
I don't think the Ford Performance one works with the Power Pack 2, otherwise, I'd probably go with that one.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
BBK anyone?

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I have a JLT, it's easy to install and empty. Bought it new, over priced IMO. Find one you like and watch the classifieds for a used one.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
i have upr passenger side and it works great and easy to empty.

jlt drivers side does not collect much. I know this side is cleaner, but I also feel jlt could be designed better.

both are easy to install and remove.

Last edited:

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
I don't think the Ford Performance one works with the Power Pack 2, otherwise, I'd probably go with that one.
Its snug but the Ford Performance oil separator works with PP2. In fact, I have both the passenger and driver side catch cans from Ford on my GT.
GT engine.jpg

18usc371

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 - Track Package - G0628
I have the JLT - no issues - simple screw off, tip to drain, screw back on.

I agree with the comments above, the Ford Perf looks the most integrated and OEM.

My humble opinion, the catch can is a simple device, and it's emptying should be simple too. Twist and pour out, like a bottle of domestic beer!

The Ford needs a tool, loosen/tighten (3?) bolts, and some method to pull the oil out from the top (plunger or towel to soak up). Admittedly, not the most labor-intensive or worst thing in the world, but overly complicated for what it needs to be.

Imagine a bottle of beer that needed an bottle opener, three caps to pop, and then straw to drink it!

If Ford had made one that had a quick release, no tool system, that dropped the catch down and out to empty, I'd buy in even it was more $, as I do like the "look."

Sponsored

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Personally running a breather setup, but UPR definitely makes a quality catch can and has the most capacity out of the bunch.

OP
OP
samd1351

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Well shit, If I had known, I probably would have gone that route. If I have any issues, I'll jump to the Ford one.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I've used Bob's, Ford, UPR. So far, I like the Bob's best in terms of overall functionality between quality, installation, and ability to empty. The Ford (and I think JLT) are the most user-friendly, and the UPR is the best in terms of catch quality, though it takes a bit more effort to empty.

If I was making another choice, I'd have to say that it depends on how you drive. If you're at the strip, track, dragging on the street, you want quality of catch because you're putting more through it. A daily with longevity concerns, JLT or Ford. I don't think there's a "perfect" catch/separator out there for everything. I think there's a "perfect" one for what you want and/or how you drive.
Sponsored