Sponsored

Cooling Mod?

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Anyone done the cylinder head cooling mod?

I’ve seen MMR and VMP have them. You pop out the freeze plugs on the back of the heads and attach coolant hose so coolant can go from one head to the other.

Looks like a PITA to do, but if it works and it’s worth it...

Anyone have experience with this? I rarely ever see it mentioned. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

I’ve seen MMR and VMP have them. You pop out the freeze plugs on the back of the heads and attach coolant hose so coolant can go from one head to the other.

Anyone have experience with this? I rarely ever see it mentioned. Is there a reason for that?

Thanks!
I prefer the cooling mod to allow water to flow out the back of the heads rather than just transfer from one into the other you can see on the picture it goes from one into the other and then out if it just goes from one head to the other then you put a T in there and go out to your heater core

B8963B6D-2645-494F-B191-8B9AF4673066.jpeg

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

Thanks!
It is super easy. You just knock out the freeze plugs and it bolts right in

600A6A08-4F71-4E40-A22F-930F0946FA3B.jpeg

DE380413-3E49-44F2-95F9-75B0346734FE.jpeg

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
How easy is it with the motor still in the car? Any tips on popping out the freeze plugs with the motor still in? Can it be done this way?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
How easy is it with the motor still in the car? Any tips on popping out the freeze plugs with the motor still in? Can it be done this way?
I do them in the car. Unbolt and Remove the firewall protecting the battery. Knock them in. use long 45* needle nose and pull it out.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Why hasn’t FORD made this mod standard equipment on these engines after all of these years?
Because on a stock engine it has enough cooling. it’s only whenever you start modifying them that it becomes an issue

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I like enhancements that will make the car perform better. This looks like a mod that is very easy to do in theory, but tough in that there is little to no room to work on the rear of the engine with it shoe-horned into the engine bay. While I am mechanically inclined and do just about all of my own work, this is probably something I would hold off on doing until I was able to gain easier access to and work comfortably (especially torquing the mounting bolts instead of just tightening them using the good-en-tight method) on a mod like this. I commend those who have been able to do this with the engine in the car.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I like enhancements that will make the car perform better. This looks like a mod that is very easy to do in theory, but tough in that there is little to no room to work on the rear of the engine with it shoe-horned into the engine bay. While I am mechanically inclined and do just about all of my own work, this is probably something I would hold off on doing until I was able to gain easier access to and work comfortably (especially torquing the mounting bolts instead of just tightening them using the good-en-tight method) on a mod like this. I commend those who have been able to do this with the engine in the car.
Torquing the bolts doesn’t really matter it’s an O-ring that keeps the seal. on one head it has two bolts and the other has one. They fit in pretty snug the bolts just keep it from back out. I think there is a lot of room to work back there

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's one of those mods that make sense, isn't that expensive IF THE MOTOR IS OUT.

If the motor is in the car, it's going to be a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR pain in the ass to install.

Between getting the old plugs out, getting the new fittings in (which is challenging enough) and having to orient/clock them for the fastener tab to line up, you'd almost HAVE to pull the motor.

I'd say you could drop the driveshaft, lower the trans and remove the cross mount and see if you can tilt the motor forward (but it won't be much until the trans contacts the tunnel or the shifter binds or something).

I think the fittings (and your big ugly hands) would fit between the bare head and the firewall but trying to do it without aid of a rubber mallet would probably be impossible.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
The GT350s and the 03-04 Cobra are the cars that actually need the head cooling mod. The 5.0s don't necessarily need this mod but it's something to do when your transmission is out.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
honeybadgers install doesnt look like a bolt on with that near press fit. Anyone have any actual numbers to support it being an improvement over not having it installed? was hoping to see more from him as he put it through its paces and tested it.

Andrew what have you guys experience that points to the 350 being a higher need than the 5.0?

with the trans out, is there enough room in the tunnel to get a mallet in? planning a clutch job by end of the year. might as well consider this

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
They are not near press fit at all. it’s just an O ring. fits in as tight as the water pump. After the freeze plugs are out it slides right in,put a bolt in Dune
The 5.0‘s absolutely need this modification they do not have any cooling passage around the #8 intake port so this makes it so that water does not flow around cylinder seven and eight Worth a crap and there’s no temperature sensor back there that’s why everybody has problems with cylinder seven and eight. Don’t believe me? do a quick Google search on the problems around cylinder seven and eight on the coyote
Sponsored