Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
K4fxd MMR and other brands are designed off removing the factory freeze plugs, and install a crossover line between the heads for coolant flow, all they did is copy what was done from the 4.6L motors that Ford made from the factory. That's what Jackson1320 posted a pic of.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
FWIW... a friend who works on nearly exclusively Terminator Cobras told me in his experience they are more trouble with coolant leaks, and the kit does not provide a benefit. That was hard for me to believe (when I was buying a Terminator) but I trusted his experience.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Well a crossover where both sides are pressurized equally does absolutely nothing.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
FWIW... a friend who works on nearly exclusively Terminator Cobras told me in his experience they are more trouble with coolant leaks, and the kit does not provide a benefit. That was hard for me to believe (when I was buying a Terminator) but I trusted his experience.
Well a crossover where both sides are pressurized equally does absolutely nothing.
i have the mmr kit and it has never leaked and i don't see any way for it to have a problem unless the installer damages the o-ring.
the kit gives the coolant a path to travel at the back of the head. normally the coolant travels up from the block into the head and out the front. so there's no path or reason for coolant to go to the back of the head so the coolant around cylinders 4 & 8 gets the hottest because the coolant at the back of the heads doesn't move much. now if you open a path for water to flow at the back of the head you have a more equal temp across the head

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the kit gives the coolant a path to travel at the back of the head. normally the coolant travels up from the block into the head and out the front. so there's no path or reason for coolant to go to the back of the head so the coolant around cylinders 4 & 8 gets the hottest because the coolant at the back of the heads doesn't move much. now if you open a path for water to flow at the back of the head you have a more equal temp across the head
you put a flow-meter in the middle and also measured pre/post head temps at the back?

Now had they brought the lines back to the front and capped off the OE front return-line or put a plug in them to reduce front flow, THEN and ONLY THEN would there be an actual benefit.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
you put a flow-meter in the middle and also measured pre/post head temps at the back?

Now had they brought the lines back to the front and capped off the OE front return-line or put a plug in them to reduce front flow, THEN and ONLY THEN would there be an actual benefit.
you don't know what you are talking about. the number 8 combustion chamber does not have a complete water jacket around the top in the cylinder head so it gets hotter then other cylinder so having the water flow out the back of the head has a Benefit also they recommend you take the head cooling mod and connect it to the hose coming out of your heater core. this is connected directly to the water pump making some negative pressure and sucks water through the back of the head

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
also they recommend you take the head cooling mod and connect it to the hose coming out of your heater core.
except NOBODY has said that and none of the pictures show that. ONLY WITH that change does the mod work at all. Bridging 7 and 8 together does nothing unless there is a pressure differential. The heater-core mod is THE source of that differential.

That said the heater-core line is running at full pressure since it's the output of the passenger side cylinder bank. So the amount of pressure drop isn't very much.

The coyote cooling is just plain wrong.

Ich bin kein Ingenieur, aber ich war letzte Nacht in einem Motel 6

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The heater-core mod is THE source of that differential.
So adding the T and running it to the heater feed is the way? I would then assume you would cap off the factory heater feed line, so the water runs through the block then into the heater then gets returned to the waterpump.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So adding the T and running it to the heater feed is the way? I would then assume you would cap off the factory heater feed line, so the water runs through the block then into the heater then gets returned to the waterpump.
it's a bandaid and a weak one at that. the passenger bank exits the head, runs to the heater core and then comes back to the pump. by tapping the line you're trying to slip extra water into the pipe that is already at 'full rate'. There's some wiggle room and there a 'venturi' effect but you won't get anywhere near full-rate flow thru the back of the head.

The only way to fix it for real is to cap the head exit ports at the front of the engine, and run 2 lines back to the pump.

M-6010-M52A.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
no you allow water to go both ways

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
it's a bandaid and a weak one at that. the passenger bank exits the head, runs to the heater core and then comes back to the pump. by tapping the line you're trying to slip extra water into the pipe that is already at 'full rate'. There's some wiggle room and there a 'venturi' effect but you won't get anywhere near full-rate flow thru the back of the head.

The only way to fix it for real is to cap the head exit ports at the front of the engine, and run 2 lines back to the pump.

M-6010-M52A.jpg
It will split the water flow between the front and the back. you have equal flow out the back and the front

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If it really is that easy why didn't Ford do this on the voodoo and predator engines?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If it really is that easy why didn't Ford do this on the voodoo and predator engines?
Why didn't they do it on the Coyote? Probably because the cooling was adequate for the horsepower that the engine was making
Now start adding horsepower, adding a tune, adding aftermarket parts, superchargers, and it's not a bad idea to Make sure you're cooling system is up to it