Sponsored

Cooled seats not cooling

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I think the AC has to be on for the seats to actually blow coolish air. With the AC off they seem to just be vented. I notice mine do blow colder right when I turn off the AC for like 10 seconds after its off though.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
what are your thoughts and have you run across any such As Built data in your Forscan research?
Hey, good find. Very interesting read, but the last post there was in 2018, with no answers. But at least there's hope we could change the seatback with some FORScan programming changes... but wouldn't know where to start. And we can't just start messing with it blindly, since we could cause damage.

How about the 'exhaust' mod the guy was talking about? Didn't see it listed anywhere. If we could check the back without removing the seat cover, we could do that mod (if applicable) for better performance on the seatbacks. Finally, my seats are super noisy at the highest speed, so wouldn't want them any noisier; just more effective. By the way, my seats feel exactly the same A/C on or off, and to my wife too, so definitely don't feel any cooling function.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I think the AC has to be on for the seats to actually blow coolish air. With the AC off they seem to just be vented. I notice mine do blow colder right when I turn off the AC for like 10 seconds after its off though.
The seats have their own electric cooling units (TED) inside the seats. They are not just blowing cold air inside the cabin through the seat. Based on many posts in this long thread, there isn't enough air flow through the seat back to get the hot air created by the TED operation, and it overheats the TED unit and then the cooling performance falls on it's face on the seat back. The seat bottom seems to have adequate flow to get rid of the TED heat and stays cool.

It helps the cooled seats to perform a bit better for sure to have the AC cranked on to cool down the cabin before turning on the cooled seat function.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's an IR image someone took (in this thread I believe) that shows the cooled seat bottom and back when it's working right. Blue areas are cold.

IR Image of S550 Seats with Coolers Running.jpg

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
It helps the cooled seats to perform a bit better for sure to have the AC cranked on to cool down the cabin before turning on the cooled seat function.
That's what I do anyways.
I've had ventilated seats in my Ram since 2013 and they don't work that well either until the truck is some what cooled down. Even then they don't work that well.

I might have mentioned this before but my wifes 2013 Lincoln MKZ ventilated seats will freeze your ass off. Yes the car has to be cooled down a little inside with the A/C but I have to turn them down to level 1 after a short while.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My seats never feel cool, even after the cabin is perfectly cooled... and I run A/C in both floor and dash vents. And I usually only use them in level 2, since the noise in level 3 drives me nuts after a few minutes. But at least they're better than nothing, so I'm fine with their crappy performance :D.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
It is possible to make them work and cool consistently...I finally got mine working...
I did the TSB
I did the Darko Mod that sends 3 intake tubes to the front of the seat bottom.
I run my AC on bi level to seen some cool air low....
I pulled the plastic sheet out of the seat back and opened it up with 90% holes for more airflow., see attached photos, I made this plastic sheet into Swiss cheese.
I added a metal mesh box (Bird suet holder) in the seat back map pocket to open airflow....

With these changes, my back is cooled, the cooler works all day without overheating.....I know it’s a lot of effort, but if you exhaust enough heat out of the seat back the system will work. View attachment 501901
7D671026-5DC4-4F02-B178-F8977F18F39B.png
73EDF522-43B9-4C9C-B573-EE87B0272CC8.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I did the TSB. I did the Darko Mod that sends 3 intake tubes to the front of the seat bottom.
Well, there's no TSB on my 2019 Bullitt seats, so at least that's different from your 2015 ones. I think they changed in 2018, but not sure what. At any rate, what's the TSB all about? And what's that 2nd mod you mentioned? I already use bi-level A/C since day 1, due to too much air volume just from the dash vents, so that's done. The back seat cover modification looks interesting, but not going to remove the seats for that. Too many possible issues with the airbags, for what I've read.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Well, there's no TSB on my 2019 Bullitt seats, so at least that's different from your 2015 ones. I think they changed in 2018, but not sure what. At any rate, what's the TSB all about? And what's that 2nd mod you mentioned? I already use bi-level A/C since day 1, due to too much air volume just from the dash vents, so that's done. The back seat cover modification looks interesting, but not going to remove the seats for that. Too many possible issues with the airbags, for what I've read.
The TSB was to add the air sock thing and I think a revised fan unit. Those changes were standard in later model Mustangs so no TSB for them...the Darko mod was a former user on the forum that molded fan shrouds that allowed 3 1 inch tube to connect to it, those tubes were routed under the seat to the front to pull in cool air from footwell. The Swiss cheese mod does not require pulling the seat, it I recall, from the back seat, you unclip the retaining straps under the seat that keep the seat back cover tight. Then you pull it up slightly and reach in and pull out the plastic sheet. It’s sort of captured in an envelope type fabric contraption. The plastic is roughly credit car thickness, I used a drill press and really large drill bits to make the additional holes...it slides back in easily...what is a big problem is the unit creates heat as a byproduct of blowing cold, the heat is supposed to escape the perforated holes in the back of the seat, many of which are in the map pocket, so if you force the map pocket open, it doubles the space heat can escape....

so in the pics attached, the shiny part is the black plastic sheet in a thin fabric retainer. I believe the large round holes are supposed to be for air flow, but you can see only a few small holes are in the plastic( Blue arrows...). The blue square is the mesh above the map pocket, the red area is the thin fabric inside the map pocket....the fabric is thin enough to allow airflow. Half of the plastic sheet is at a level inside the map pocket. So I Swiss cheesed it, and got a bird suet food holder from Walmart and dropped it In The map Pocket.($3). With the added holes and the map pocket allowing airflow That affectively multiplied my exiting airflow about 5x, allowing the cooling unit to actually function....try the $3 thing from Walmart first!
5473926A-53EC-4831-8C66-6613CC34ECC1.jpeg
17CF8EB1-C3E0-4111-BD59-F44840DD6308.jpeg

Last edited:

VolsLover94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Bullitt K2149
The TSB was to add the air sock thing and I think a revised fan unit. Those changes were standard in later model Mustangs so no TSB for them...the Darko mod was a former user on the forum that molded fan shrouds that allowed 3 1 inch tube to connect to it, those tubes were routed under the seat to the front to pull in cool air from footwell. The Swiss cheese mod does not require pulling the seat, it I recall, from the back seat, you unclip the retaining straps under the seat that keep the seat back cover tight. Then you pull it up slightly and reach in and pull out the plastic sheet. It’s sort of captured in an envelope type fabric contraption. The plastic is roughly credit car thickness, I used a drill press and really large drill bits to make the additional holes...it slides back in easily...what is a big problem is the unit creates heat as a byproduct of blowing cold, the heat is supposed to escape the perforated holes in the back of the seat, many of which are in the map pocket, so if you force the map pocket open, it doubles the space heat can escape....

so in the pics attached, the shiny part is the black plastic sheet in a thin fabric retainer. I believe the large round holes are supposed to be for air flow, but you can see only a few small holes are in the plastic( Blue arrows...). The blue square is the mesh above the map pocket, the red area is the thin fabric inside the map pocket....the fabric is thin enough to allow airflow. Half of the plastic sheet is at a level inside the map pocket. So I Swiss cheesed it, and got a bird suet food holder from Walmart and dropped it In The map Pocket.($3). With the added holes and the map pocket allowing airflow That affectively multiplied my exiting airflow about 5x, allowing the cooling unit to actually function....try the $3 thing from Walmart first!
5473926A-53EC-4831-8C66-6613CC34ECC1.jpeg
17CF8EB1-C3E0-4111-BD59-F44840DD6308.jpeg
Would you mind reposting your detailed information because the links are no longer working or available. Thanks.. Ford says they can’t find anything wrong with my seat coolers but most of us unlucky ones know that they are very poor in performance. I would definitely try to use anyone’s suggestions and methods to improve them on my Bullitt.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The TSB explicitly states that if the driver farts on the cushion for extended periods of time, all bets are off. Warranty coverage will be denied.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
The TSB explicitly states that if the driver farts on the cushion for extended periods of time, all bets are off. Warranty coverage will be denied.
I went 6 months before marking my territory when mine was new. It made no difference, seats were still not cooling that well.
What I have found out that helps a little is to use a shop vac and suck the crap out of the holes in the seats. Well, not crap. Use of wrong word in a fart discussion. But lint and dust build up in the seats. Vacuuming them really helps.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I went 6 months before marking my territory when mine was new. It made no difference, seats were still not cooling that well.
What I have found out that helps a little is to use a shop vac and suck the crap out of the holes in the seats. Well, not crap. Use of wrong word in a fart discussion. But lint and dust build up in the seats. Vacuuming them really helps.
I can tell mine are cooling efficiently after eating cheese, chicken and sausage enchiladas with rice and beans for lunch .............. Washed down with a cold Quavo. :beer::handsinair::party:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's also a warning statement about turning on the electric cooler that can spark off a methane gas explosion. 🔥
Sponsored