Heated and Cooled Seats Not Working on Model Year 2019

beefsupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco
I have a 2019 EcoBoost with 61,000 miles, and like the prior model years the climate controlled seats have failed. The thing is, Ford changed the design and I can’t find any information relevant to my car in the forums. I don’t see the typical offending module with the burnt ground pin under my seat.

Problem summary:
  • Fuses 12, 13, and 14 are intact.
  • Heating at any level doesn’t work on the driver’s seat. The light comes on and nothing happens.
  • Cooling at any level doesn’t work on the driver’s seat. The light comes on and nothing happens.
  • Neither heating nor cooling cause any air to blow at all.
  • The passenger’s seat cools fine.
  • The passenger’s seat heats, but the air doesn’t blow as loud as when it’s cooling. Level three heat is about as loud as level 2 cooling. There doesn’t seem to be a difference in air speed between level 2 and 3 heating.
  • The usual passenger is from Eastern Europe and has strong negative beliefs regarding the health impact of air conditioning. Thus the cooled seats on the passenger’s side are never used and the heated seats are usually used at level 1 and sometimes level 2.
  • I typically drive with the climate control seats maxed out because as we all know, after 15 minutes they stop working anyways because the same air gets recirculated through the TED within the seats. Seats are really the biggest weak point on the Mustang’s design… longevity, build quality, comfort- all lacking.
Are there any 2019 owners out there who have solved this issue or am I the canary in the coal mine? Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the seats? I would really appreciate any suggestions you could give on this topic. If I figure it out I’ll make a write up and hopefully help someone else with a 2019+ in the future.
Sponsored

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Just take it in, pay them money, drive the car home functioning properly.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I have a 2019 EcoBoost with 61,000 miles, and like the prior model years the climate controlled seats have failed. The thing is, Ford changed the design and I can’t find any information relevant to my car in the forums. I don’t see the typical offending module with the burnt ground pin under my seat.

Problem summary:
  • Fuses 12, 13, and 14 are intact.
  • Heating at any level doesn’t work on the driver’s seat. The light comes on and nothing happens.
  • Cooling at any level doesn’t work on the driver’s seat. The light comes on and nothing happens.
  • Neither heating nor cooling cause any air to blow at all.
  • The passenger’s seat cools fine.
  • The passenger’s seat heats, but the air doesn’t blow as loud as when it’s cooling. Level three heat is about as loud as level 2 cooling. There doesn’t seem to be a difference in air speed between level 2 and 3 heating.
  • The usual passenger is from Eastern Europe and has strong negative beliefs regarding the health impact of air conditioning. Thus the cooled seats on the passenger’s side are never used and the heated seats are usually used at level 1 and sometimes level 2.
  • I typically drive with the climate control seats maxed out because as we all know, after 15 minutes they stop working anyways because the same air gets recirculated through the TED within the seats. Seats are really the biggest weak point on the Mustang’s design… longevity, build quality, comfort- all lacking.
Are there any 2019 owners out there who have solved this issue or am I the canary in the coal mine? Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the seats? I would really appreciate any suggestions you could give on this topic. If I figure it out I’ll make a write up and hopefully help someone else with a 2019+ in the future.
Have you seen this thread yet - I know you spoke of reading the thread with the burnt connector - but the one linked below is a different issue:

See this thread which outlined another issue with the heated/cooled seat module problem:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/heated-cooled-seats-mystery.152156/

OP
OP
beefsupreme

beefsupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco
Have you seen this thread yet - I know you spoke of reading the thread with the burnt connector - but the one linked below is a different issue:

See this thread which outlined another issue with the heated/cooled seat module problem:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/heated-cooled-seats-mystery.152156/
Thanks for the input. I’ve read that one and most people in the thread are referring to the original module being GU5T-14B663-AA (and causing problems) then after replacing it with
BU5Z-14C724-A the problems went away. However neither module is present on my car. It seems that for the 2018 or 2019 model year they changed the module. User Elp_jc has a 2019 Bullit with nearly the same module I have (he has JU5T-14C708-BL, I have JU5T-14C708-BZ with a ‘Z’ on the end instead of an ‘L’). But when I look that module up online it seems to be a power sets memory module.

Did Ford combine the two into a single module? I will check with a mirror to trace wires and see what comes and goes where. I don’t think there are any other modules in there.

Why are the endings being slightly changed all the time?

OP
OP
beefsupreme

beefsupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco
Update for future readers.

It seems in 2018 or 2019 Ford did some significant re-design to the heated and cooled seats. I noticed what appears to be a liquid and coolant pump (?) under the seats. I am not aware of this existing on prior model years. shows what’s visible under the passenger seat.
C39A7BFE-D2F4-451A-9C42-84E65506B647.jpeg

On the driver’s side is a module similar to that used in the F-150 but with one less connector. The connectors do not appear to be seat specific- and what I mean by that is one connector might do all the climate control for both seats and the other connector is responsible for something else. See image of the module (affixed by two T25 screws).
FE68987F-04FA-4F5E-9569-36971D09D5CA.jpeg

A friend of mine in the know stated that the last letter on the part number is a revision. Ford has gone through multiple material numbers and revisions on these seat modules. The reason I think it’s the most likely culprit is because of the history of these parts failing.

Before removing the module, I ran a few tests:
  • Unplug alternating connectors from the module (and function check) or trace wires to determine which connector is responsible for which seat. They are intentionally not swappable on the module via poke-yoke.
    • It’s impossible to trace the wires because they go all over the place merging and splitting into taped up bundles.
    • Leaving the white connector unplugged, I started the car, and tested passenger heating and cooling: passenger heating and cooling doesn’t work.
    • Plugging it back in made the driver’s seat move on its own, but the passenger side heated seat started working again. No apparent dashboard lights came on.
  • Listen for a relay click right by the module while pressing the climate control buttons for the still functioning passenger’s seat, then try the driver’s seat. If I get clicks on one side and not the other, the relays aren’t firing. This means the problem is likely upstream of the TEDs and blower hardware- it would either be communications to the module or inside the module (historically inside the module).
    • I don’t hear relay clicks from the module even when I turn on the passenger’s seat which has working climate control. Later investigation reveals that this module has no relays inside!
  • Unplug all connectors and check to see if either of them have burned up pins like what was common on prior model years with the GU5T-14B663-AA or BU5Z-14C724-A modules.
    • None of them are burned up.
  • Unplug and replug the connectors to see if it solves the problem.
    • No, but always worth a try.
  • Put multimeter on the module connectors’ pins and see if I get voltages when I press various controls.
    • I poked around a little bit on the whitish-grey module but I do not get any voltage on my multimeter when I turn on the heated or cooled seats. It’s some awkward positioning and I will avoid it if I can. A new module is cheap enough I might just try it and compare PCBs with the prior module to see what they changed in the new revision.
  • Remove the module and open it up.

4CA45B11-113E-4C77-8570-C31A8A735ECF.jpeg

C411E7F0-AC38-4299-BA3F-6B2C0C5045A0.jpeg

As you can see there are no relays. It looks like a lot of the heavy traces are leading to the white connector, which makes me think it’s the one responsible for climate and blowers since these devices draw a lot of current. The relays are probably replaced with power transistors or IGBTs. If I had to guess, you could probably just replace all the components connected to the thick traces on the PCB, and the capacitors for good measure and there’d be a very good chance it would work. This strategy has worked for me in the past. There’s a coating of some sort on the board (probably to prevent shorts) but you can easily scratch it off if you want to get a better look at component numbers.

If I’m bored and it turns out a new module fixes the problem, I may replace components on the old module to see if I can get it working again.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update for future readers.

It seems in 2018 or 2019 Ford did some significant re-design to the heated and cooled seats. I noticed what appears to be a liquid and coolant pump (?) under the seats. I am not aware of this existing on prior model years. shows what’s visible under the passenger seat.
C39A7BFE-D2F4-451A-9C42-84E65506B647.jpeg

On the driver’s side is a module similar to that used in the F-150 but with one less connector. The connectors do not appear to be seat specific- and what I mean by that is one connector might do all the climate control for both seats and the other connector is responsible for something else. See image of the module (affixed by two T25 screws).
FE68987F-04FA-4F5E-9569-36971D09D5CA.jpeg

A friend of mine in the know stated that the last letter on the part number is a revision. Ford has gone through multiple material numbers and revisions on these seat modules. The reason I think it’s the most likely culprit is because of the history of these parts failing.

Before removing the module, I ran a few tests:
  • Unplug alternating connectors from the module (and function check) or trace wires to determine which connector is responsible for which seat. They are intentionally not swappable on the module via poke-yoke.
    • It’s impossible to trace the wires because they go all over the place merging and splitting into taped up bundles.
    • Leaving the white connector unplugged, I started the car, and tested passenger heating and cooling: passenger heating and cooling doesn’t work.
    • Plugging it back in made the driver’s seat move on its own, but the passenger side heated seat started working again. No apparent dashboard lights came on.
  • Listen for a relay click right by the module while pressing the climate control buttons for the still functioning passenger’s seat, then try the driver’s seat. If I get clicks on one side and not the other, the relays aren’t firing. This means the problem is likely upstream of the TEDs and blower hardware- it would either be communications to the module or inside the module (historically inside the module).
    • I don’t hear relay clicks from the module even when I turn on the passenger’s seat which has working climate control. Later investigation reveals that this module has no relays inside!
  • Unplug all connectors and check to see if either of them have burned up pins like what was common on prior model years with the GU5T-14B663-AA or BU5Z-14C724-A modules.
    • None of them are burned up.
  • Unplug and replug the connectors to see if it solves the problem.
    • No, but always worth a try.
  • Put multimeter on the module connectors’ pins and see if I get voltages when I press various controls.
    • I poked around a little bit on the whitish-grey module but I do not get any voltage on my multimeter when I turn on the heated or cooled seats. It’s some awkward positioning and I will avoid it if I can. A new module is cheap enough I might just try it and compare PCBs with the prior module to see what they changed in the new revision.
  • Remove the module and open it up.

4CA45B11-113E-4C77-8570-C31A8A735ECF.jpeg

C411E7F0-AC38-4299-BA3F-6B2C0C5045A0.jpeg

As you can see there are no relays. It looks like a lot of the heavy traces are leading to the white connector, which makes me think it’s the one responsible for climate and blowers since these devices draw a lot of current. The relays are probably replaced with power transistors or IGBTs. If I had to guess, you could probably just replace all the components connected to the thick traces on the PCB, and the capacitors for good measure and there’d be a very good chance it would work. This strategy has worked for me in the past. There’s a coating of some sort on the board (probably to prevent shorts) but you can easily scratch it off if you want to get a better look at component numbers.

If I’m bored and it turns out a new module fixes the problem, I may replace components on the old module to see if I can get it working again.
That's some good research and Tech you did there! Thanks for posting!

The "coolant" line is a first - but hard to tell from images - is there really fluid in the line or is that the air line for the power lumbar?

Last edited:

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
That "coolant pump" is your OCS sensor and bladder - it senses the weight in the passenger seat to enable/disable passenger airbags. Don't damage it!

I'd personally suspect bad TEDs, as well as inspect the seat harness for chaffs or damage. Any short or open will disable the seat. Without DTC's, it's kind of a crap-shoot though.

OP
OP
beefsupreme

beefsupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco
Conclusion for historic record - the problem was in fact the driver's side blower unit, not the TED unit. This came with a hefty price tag to fix. The Ford technicians replace the blower and simply software re-set the other seat and it has been working for several months closing in on a year now.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Conclusion for historic record - the problem was in fact the driver's side blower unit, not the TED unit. This came with a hefty price tag to fix. The Ford technicians replace the blower and simply software re-set the other seat and it has been working for several months closing in on a year now.
So there was no warranty left on a 2019 repair?

What did they put on your work order as far as Tech notes and/or part #, can you share that section via an image excluding personal info?

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
What a write up. This is going to help many people. Thank you for sharing !

Sponsored
OP
OP
beefsupreme

beefsupreme

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco
So there was no warranty left on a 2019 repair?

What did they put on your work order as far as Tech notes and/or part #, can you share that section via an image excluding personal info?
I have no warranty left because I drive a lot.

Tech notes and other repair information:

A HEATED/COOLED SEAT TROUBLES, NO AIR FLOW COMING FROM EITHER SEAT. HOT OR COLD VERY LITTLE FLOW FROM RIGHT SEAT, NOTHING FROM LEFT SIDE. 150.00

Below that it says "S56" and repeats the above.

GU5Z*19N550*H BLOWER ASY - VENT - AIR CCS

Labor: $465.00, Parts $219.95, then some $27.90 fee for overhead waste disposal.

FRONT SEAT TED 3.10 DIAG AND R&I LEFT FRONT SEAT REPLACED SEAT BACK-REST TED CLEARED TROUBLE CODES AND RECHECKED OPERATION NOW OK.

People in this situation should know, the parts are quite cheap but the labor is significant enough that you'd consider doing it at home since it's not knuckle-busting work. The problem with that it seems, is that you likely need special software tools to reset the car.

If someone knows where an owner is able to access such software tools, please share.

ScubaSteve2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting these details.
I have a similar issue - heated seat driver side no longer working (on the bottom - back-rest part of seat is still actually working).
Anyway, dealer said its the blower motor. Part = €139+Tax . . wait for it . . labour = €500 :O so I'll be ordering the part and replacing it myself
Sponsored