Sponsored

Cooled seats.. Not really cooling ? For those with Premium

ihavefat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12GT/FoST/'16 GT
I currently have '16 GT PP in premium model. The cooling and heating seats have been awesome until recently. It's not cool as well but most importantly the upper portion of the seat where you rest your back gets insanely hot.
Didn't find anything from mustang6g from a quick Google search but seems like some F150 folks have had this issue. Is there a solution for this ? I'd take it in for warranty work but don't want to waste my time if they are not gonna do anything.
Sponsored

mhagerty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I have a 2016 premium and they work ok for me. Very cool on the bottom and reasonable cool about half up the seat back.

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
There is a huge thread in the issues warranty and repairs section - tis a know issue my friend.

Sponsored

RobbieFrazier

Captain Quality
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robbie
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP DIB; 2022 M1 Prem 700A HP EG
The thread is 85 pages long... does anyone know of a fix that doesn't involve 8 hours of reading?
There are two take-aways from the thread:

1. Ford released a TSB to resolve the issue. The TSB involves the dealer removing the leather from the seats and replacing the seat back cooling unit. The new unit has a longer intake tube that extends below the seat to prevent drawing in hot exhaust air from the seat bottom unit. The seat back will no longer get hot during cold air operation, but also provides little or no cooling effect on the body.

2. One forum member has developed a similar solution with one added feature. He vented the upper unit out of the seat back. His solution seems to be working better than the TSB version, but it's DIY and requires cutting a hole in the back of the seat leather to install a screen.

I had the TSB done on mine. At least my back isn't on fire anymore.

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
There are two take-aways from the thread:

1. Ford released a TSB to resolve the issue. The TSB involves the dealer removing the leather from the seats and replacing the seat back cooling unit. The new unit has a longer intake tube that extends below the seat to prevent drawing in hot exhaust air from the seat bottom unit. The seat back will no longer get hot during cold air operation, but also provides little or no cooling effect on the body.

2. One forum member has developed a similar solution with one added feature. He vented the upper unit out of the seat back. His solution seems to be working better than the TSB version, but it's DIY and requires cutting a hole in the back of the seat leather to install a screen.

I had the TSB done on mine. At least my back isn't on fire anymore.
Same here, the TSB helps but isn't really a fix in that the performance is still marginal at best. I've thought long and hard about putting a little vent / screen in the seat back to give the peltier exhaust somewhere to go, it really would help, but I can't bring myself to cut into the seats ... Yet.;)

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
On mine when you click the button and the 3-Bar lights up.
The fan comes on hard & load .
Works perfect and you can feel the immediate cooling.

But within 2 seconds you hear a click and its like the system switches the fan speed to a lower fan speed setting.
Then if you push the button again to the 2nd setting it reduces the speed more and finally on the 3rd setting it barely kicks out any coolness

Anyone else have this happening ?

Mordfustang

Las Vegas Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Performace Package
I have the same issue as op. A couple of times I've wondered if I was just crazy, or if the seats were warming up when the seat cooler was on. I'm so glad this isn't just me. I live in the desert where the cooled seats come in really handy. I find that the hotter it is outside, the worse the cooled seats work. Is there a recall number for this problem?

Brian74montecarlo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 mustang GT California special A6
I was wondering if there was a way to keep the seat cooling bottom operational as it works great - but just "turn off" the seat back cooling part so it won't heat up on me making my back sweaty lol

Sponsored

akl777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Akhil
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ecobeast PP 2016
I was gonna post seeking advice about the same issue... The bottom part of the seat cools OKAY for me but the upper part of the seat where the back does not cool at all...
Glad this is an issue with folks already.

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was gonna post seeking advice about the same issue... The bottom part of the seat cools OKAY for me but the upper part of the seat where the back does not cool at all...
Glad this is an issue with folks already.
I happy for you being glad others are suffering also.

akl777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Akhil
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Ecobeast PP 2016
I happy for you being glad others are suffering also.
Hey Paul.. Don't get me the wrong way bro .
I meant to say I was glad cuz there's is a fix from FORD since others have faced this issue and I don't have to make the dealer believe its not okay.

I was getting this screachy noise from my front brake and I had so much trouble making the dealer acknowledge it... eventually I dropped the idea altogether.

ITSMEPAUL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey Paul.. Don't get me the wrong way bro .
I meant to say I was glad cuz there's is a fix from FORD since others have faced this issue and I don't have to make the dealer believe its not okay.

I was getting this screachy noise from my front brake and I had so much trouble making the dealer acknowledge it... eventually I dropped the idea altogether.
No worries. Just joking. That's what sucks about forums and words. They can be interpreted wrong.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Since I am in Alabama and it's stupid heat I figured I would pop on here to see if any headway has been made on this issue. I had the TSB done originally and it didnt do squat, I did the fix from Drako66 and all it really did was make it stop blowing hot air and last I looked it actually broke and isn't doing crap for the backs anymore, I saw another fix kit but I cant find it again. It was a white "horn" shaped piece with a metal bar going across it from what I am remembering and it was about $120 I think. Anybody know the kit I am talking about or a link to a kit that will actually fix the issue?
Sponsored