Condensate dumping on DCT?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So I was under the car today replacing the DCT fine filter. The procedure is that you are to run the car between 5-10 mins to ensure the coolers are filled. Then you are to top it off.

So after 5 mins, I shut the car off and go back under to top off the DCT. Low and behold the DCT is raining like a Florida thunderstorm.

I was in disbelief thinking what kind of design is it where you don't put a condensate tube in to direct the flow of water from the condensate pan to dump the water without covering a drivetrain component.

I'm going to look at the service manual to see if I can get a clue as to the routing of the condensate tube.

Another possibility is that some flat rock knucklehead didn't install or route the condensate tube correctly.

Here's the video. I was thinking of setting it to the song "raindrops keep falling on my head", because they did, and now my head is soaking wet.

Sponsored

shelbykr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 2009 Shelby GT500KR 2008 Shelby GT-C
Hi ya Tom. Is that the Air Cond water exit line?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hi ya Tom. Is that the Air Cond water exit line?
Hi Sam. It is the air conditioning condensation. I have a hard time believing that Ford would design it to dump on top of the DCT.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..helps cool it off
Good thought. My question...what is the DCT case corrosion angle if the vehicle is always in a high-humidity environment? Granted, it becomes steam when the box is up to temp but that would take awhile after each start. Probably NBD, Tom but I had to chuckle at you singing in the rain. :-)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
case corrosion
Yes, there is the beginning of corrosion where the water pours off. Another thought is that there are electrical harness plugs all over on that case and one in particular where that water seems to drip off. I didn't unplug the harness to see if it was a waterproof connector.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

GT350HE29

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350HE, 1966 Mustang Coupe, 1966 Corvette Sting Ray, 2014 F250
Wow, what a crap design. Apparently the AC condensation does dump on top of the transmission.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ac-evap-drain-tube.126141/
Yep. Just got my 350 up on the rack. I’m seeing two drains, one on the left and right, dumping on trans and electrical connections. How does an engineer go home that night and think he has done a good job on that design?
Thinking I may run a piece of rigid line from the nipple. I would need silicone at the nipple, fasten it hard to the underbody. Attaching to the trans would not be good with the torque movement.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yep. Just got my 350 up on the rack. I’m seeing two drains, one on the left and right, dumping on trans and electrical connections. How does an engineer go home that night and think he has done a good job on that design?
Thinking I may run a piece of rigid line from the nipple. I would need silicone at the nipple, fasten it hard to the underbody. Attaching to the trans would not be good with the torque movement.
If I were ever able to get up in there, I would run a line as well. That kind of engineering just seems lazy.
Sponsored